Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I got one of the 32GB Touchpads during the firesale; specifically, one from the 7am stock from Best Buy Online Sunday, albeit they only had the 32GB in stock then. Of course, like most other people on this forum, I pretty quickly went to patch it all up and shove a new kernel on it.

However, even before I did that and was still running stock 3.0.0, it seemed to run just fine. Speed was definitely good enough unless you are ridiculously compulsive; Even if you had to wait sometimes for an app to open, the sheer capability to pop back into it within a span of a second was well worth the god-forbid 2-3 second long loading time. If my calendar took 3 seconds to load up, then I'll just keep it open (lol multiasking) and I wouldn't have to actually load it again for a long while. I'd say that's quite an acceptable "tradeoff" when I can open an app JUST ONCE and switch between many of them nearly flawlessly... Can I do occasional checks on IRC, click on a notification to respond to a Skype message, leave a youtube video running with music in the background, check on my E-Mail, and read a book/article online, all while never closing a single one of those or any kind of awkward skipping or jumping with any other non-Windows tablet device?

Of course, things only got a lot better after a bunch off patches and a small overclock. This thing zips with only an occasional skip and I've never had this much fun messing around and customizing stuff since the last time I've ran E17 (and since I got my Pre Plus, which I admit isn't much of a speed demon). Heck, it even looks pretty while doing so.

... so am I having some kind of abnormally good experience, or are people really this picky about this stuff? As someone who is heavily technology oriented throughout my life, I can pretty safely say this thing isn't anywhere near slow.

I'd pay $399 for this. The only reason I'd not pay $499 for this is because I'd rather have a laptop for that price, not because this is in any way a "bad" product.
  2. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I've had random issues here and there, but overall it's been pretty solid, especially after the patches.

I haven't really "stressed" it too much, though the Browser does seem to the weak point ironically enough. For "webOS".
  3.    #3  
    Alright, I can admit the Flash experience isn't super great, but it's definitely workable. I've had "random issues" with pretty much every device I own, from computers to pizza cookers, so it's acceptable. I think maybe that's part of the idea; this is pretty "acceptable" in plenty of places and greatly accels in others. I haven't seen much of a place yet where this is unsatisfactory beyond MAYBE some issues I had with Skype.
    I think the browser is fine. I was able to cause a crash by wildly clicking on a flash video and on surrounding areas, but realistically who does that unless you let your toddler play with it?

I think the launch time for apps is offputting to some people, however I doubt it's truly any longer than on other platforms... webOS on the touchpad just highlights the fact that there is a loading time by not automatically maximizing the window until it loads. Amazingly, it seems the ability to truly multitask is giving people a false perception of slowness.

Agreed with the OP, that once you load up a few apps and realize that you can flip between the cards effortlessly, the perception changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSA View Post
    I've had random issues here and there, but overall it's been pretty solid, especially after the patches.

I haven't really "stressed" it too much, though the Browser does seem to the weak point ironically enough. For "webOS".
    I agree that the browser is lacking. I would like better bookmark handling with some folders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penopata View Post

... so am I having some kind of abnormally good experience, or are people really this picky about this stuff? As someone who is heavily technology oriented throughout my life, I can pretty safely say this thing isn't anywhere near slow.

I'd pay $399 for this. The only reason I'd not pay $499 for this is because I'd rather have a laptop for that price, not because this is in any way a "bad" product.
    No, you're having a webOS experience. It's what those have been using it for some time have been trying to convince the rest of the world to see.

It does things differently and the first time using it some things might not be immediately evident how they work and this puts people off. Other platforms are more of tap this, instant full screen, tap on another button to close....simplistic seems to be what people are comfortable with.

webOS is intuitive not simplistic. I've seen several cases of people not understanding how to close apps. They tap on it, push the button, nothing works and they become frustrated, but show them how to flick a card off the screen and suddenly it makes perfect sense.

When the first reviews came out I really didn't understand the "slow" and "unfinished" comments from reviewers. I've been using it from day one and loving it.
  7. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daraldf View Post
    I agree that the browser is lacking. I would like better bookmark handling with some folders.
    Exactly, I wasnt talking about the Flash stuff.. just generally Web Browser stuff.. could be streamlined a bunch I feel.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I had to install an adblocker from preware to get the browser functioning smoothly.
    you guys could always try "advanced browser"...although it does cost money.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
    Advanced Browser is great! I'd still love Dolphin Mini or HD, but for 2 bucks it's a no brainer! Plus, if people support it then chances are that they will continue to update it & build in improvements & new feautures.

I def. Recommend it for everyone & it's cheap to boot for another browser option.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
    That won't make any difference. It's the same browser with GUI enhancements. It's like adding a custom theme and a few addons to firefox and calling it advanced firefox. It makes it more usable but it doesn't change the way it loads pages.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I think the problem is the propaganda from Apple people

Honestly I think they try to sabotage anything else.

I read many articles and the only good one about this touchpad was done here.

Why is that? Is it because the other big tech writers had Ipads and bought into anything Apple makes is the best?

The main problem I have with HP is the poor app market at launch

the pad is beautiful and is very fast once patched and updated.
    It's a great product, I most definitely agree.
    But I can not withdraw my statement on it being unfinished, not after I've used my sister's iPad 2.
    It's not a bad product, iPad being good doesn't mean TouchPad is any worse.
    It just lacks the speed and polish in little places that makes it not feel as complete as an iPad is.

If you haven't yet, just give iPad 2 a try and trying using TouchPad again.
    Its kind of funny Flash and Skype don't always work so well on any platform including both Macs & PCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I think the problem is the propaganda from Apple people

Honestly I think they try to sabotage anything else.

I read many articles and the only good one about this touchpad was done here.

Why is that? Is it because the other big tech writers had Ipads and bought into anything Apple makes is the best?

The main problem I have with HP is the poor app market at launch

the pad is beautiful and is very fast once patched and updated.
    Hehe, sabotage huh? If I want to sabotage something that'd be all the sloppy Android tablets out there.
    webOS is a great OS and a real innovative one too, I'm just sad that it doesn't feel as tight on TouchPad as it did on the Pres I got to try.
    There's nothing bad about competition and nothing bad about knowing your "enemies" so like I did with getting a TouchPad, I think some of you paranoid people should relax a bit and give Apple stuff a try too.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Its kind of funny Flash and Skype don't always work so well on any platform including both Macs & PCs.
    I dunno, Flash works generally well on my Windows PCs. It cooks my Mac though. And Skype on Mac is pretty ugly but it works, does its job. Flash on TouchPad is running nicely for being on a tablet but using UI made for mouse can suck at times. (i.e. rollover actions, little progress bars hard to tap with finger) Skype is integrated beautifully though.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    Hehe, sabotage huh? If I want to sabotage something that'd be all the sloppy Android tablets out there.
    webOS is a great OS and a real innovative one too, I'm just sad that it doesn't feel as tight on TouchPad as it did on the Pres I got to try.
    There's nothing bad about competition and nothing bad about knowing your "enemies" so like I did with getting a TouchPad, I think some of you paranoid people should relax a bit and give Apple stuff a try too.
    I've been here since 2008, reason post count is so low is I had a treo 'the first touchscreen phone before the Apple

I gave in when palm died for medical apps

I have an Iphone 4 its great but I'm sick and tired of Jailbreak and IOS updates
    Apple forces you to update to use apps from the app store
    the update kills the JB

This touch pad is pretty good

I do not want to spend 500 to 600 dollars for a Ipad 2 To surf the internet and some apps

Honestly this TP is as good if not better on the internet and that is and would be 50 to 70% of what I will do with a tablet.
  18. DS3
    Heh, the touchpad is a nice device and fantastic for the firesale price... but as an owner of a fully app loaded, jail broken, tweaked and cck equipped iPad 2.. I'd have to ridiculously biased NOT to observe that there is a huge difference between what both devices can do because of apps and extensive customization through Cydia. It's also a nicer build, more compact with a nice aluminum casing and a brighter screen.

I mean sorry but it's just the truth based on having both devices in hand. Doesn't make the touchpad a bad product though, and the multitasking setup is definitely better in both normal app switching UI and performance wise, plus layering of multiple sound feeds. Flash is very nice to have too.

And to the guy saying once you reach that price you would just buy a laptop.. Sure that's fine but I dont see it like that at all. I view tablets as complimentary devices. A nice laptop would not personally serve me much use because it would just be duplicating my desktop that and I don't travel enough to need to do major computer work away from home/work machines. Meanwhile the tablet fulfills the primary use I'd have for any netbook/laptop - web browsing, while offering a lot of unique things in a superior fashion to a laptop or desktop. Far better experience with E-books, comics/manga, art/photograpghy portfolio, touch based (with a stylus) art apps without additional hardware, touch/gyro based game experiences, more comfortable for the web browsing around the house and convenient elsewhere, etc... I could go on. And if you do have major use for a nice latop, a tablet still supplements that too.

I'm no 20 year Mac fan, only have two apple devices.. Just happen to have loved my iPad 2 experience so far. Alright Ill stop myself there. Liking tablets in general through is is part of why I picked up a touchpad for a family member and another for me just as a secondary tablet. I am very glad I got one, very happy with the purchase for the price and it's definitely pretty fast after the tweaks. Great value for anyone, and I hope the app catalog does well to close some of the gap with key additions (splash top please), I know the Os isn't dead quite yet. Gap does exist right now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I've been here since 2008, reason post count is so low is I had a treo 'the first touchscreen phone before the Apple

I gave in when palm died for medical apps

I have an Iphone 4 its great but I'm sick and tired of Jailbreak and IOS updates
    Apple forces you to update to use apps from the app store
    the update kills the JB

This touch pad is pretty good

I do not want to spend 500 to 600 dollars for a Ipad 2 To surf the internet and some apps

Honestly this TP is as good if not better on the internet and that is and would be 50 to 70% of what I will do with a tablet.
    I feel ya for wanting to jailbreak and the pain of managing versions that comes with it. (I jailbreak my iPod touch too!) But you can' really blame Apple for making people upgrade. It reduces compatibility problems and introduces bug fixes and enhancements, you want your user to update. Except that if that user is a power-user who like to tinker around, there will be clashes. And I completely understand and agree that Apple can be too restricting in that regards.

And yes, the TouchPad is a fantastic gadget, and $99 is a fantastic price! However, I think a device of iPad's quality is worth $500 too. Is TouchPad an iPad calibre product? My humble opinion is that it's not. But is it worth $99? Absolutely!
    I think it's great that you're satisfied with the TouchPad. I am too, but only when considering the fact I only paid $99 for it. Had I blown $500 on it or even $400, I would've been pretty annoyed at the product I got and probably returned the product and slam HP even more for releasing an unfinished product and trying to sell it at $500.

I'm still hoping that webOS can go open source and the awesome community we have here can finish what HP never finished, and optimize the TouchPad to be able to utilize it's full potential and run webOS in all its glory. Just like the phone versions do on Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by DS3 View Post
    Heh, the touchpad is a nice device and fantastic for the firesale price... but as an owner of a fully app loaded, jail broken, tweaked and cck equipped iPad 2.. I'd have to ridiculously biased NOT to observe that there is a huge difference between what both devices can do because of apps and extensive customization through Cydia. It's also a nicer build, more compact with a nice aluminum casing and a brighter screen.

I mean sorry but it's just the truth based on having both devices in hand. Doesn't make the touchpad a bad product though, and the multitasking setup is definitely better in both normal app switching UI and performance wise, plus layering of multiple sound feeds. Flash is very nice to have too.

And to the guy saying once you reach that price you would just buy a laptop.. Sure that's fine but I dont see it like that at all. I view tablets as complimentary devices. A nice laptop would not personally serve me much use because it would just be duplicating my desktop that and I don't travel enough to need to do major computer work away from home/work machines. Meanwhile the tablet fulfills the primary use I'd have for any netbook/laptop - web browsing, while offering a lot of unique things in a superior fashion to a laptop or desktop. Far better experience with E-books, comics/manga, art/photograpghy portfolio, touch based (with a stylus) art apps without additional hardware, touch/gyro based game experiences, more comfortable for the web browsing around the house and convenient elsewhere, etc... I could go on. And if you do have major use for a nice latop, a tablet still supplements that too.

I'm no 20 year Mac fan, only have two apple devices.. Just happen to have loved my iPad 2 experience so far. Alright Ill stop myself there. Liking tablets in general through is is part of why I picked up a touchpad for a family member and another for me just as a secondary tablet. I am very glad I got one, very happy with the purchase for the price and it's definitely pretty fast after the tweaks. Great value for anyone, and I hope the app catalog does well to close some of the gap with key additions (splash top please), I know the Os isn't dead quite yet. Gap does exist right now though.
    You pretty much put my point together here.
    The fact that iPad is better polished matters nothing for the quality of TouchPad. It's another product full of potential. It just doesn't feel as complete.
    And Just like you said, TouchPad has SUPERIOR multitasking than iPad 2. Fact. Period.
    We're not trying to slam TouchPad saying it's an inferior product. We aren't trying to unfairly compare a $99 product with a $500 one.
    We just see the lack of finishing touch TouchPad and webOS on tablet deserved and didn't receive, we are upset that about the product that could be, that never actually became.
    And we just hope pointing them out can lead to it somehow improving, even if HP supposedly left TouchPad behind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast