Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    You're more right than maybe you know! Did you know that iOS when it opens & it's so quick to pop up, which is IMO where a lot of this slow loading comparison myth generates from, it is "instantly" pulling up a screenshot for all intents and purposes. It may not be for every one & we know some apps are very tiny & Apple does limit background resources so it should be snappier I won't lie, but a good chunk of that is visual mind play.
    webos used to have essentially the same Bank of America app - which really was just calling up their mobile site. The difference being that the iOS version loaded a screen shot sign in page & webos would actually load the page & you saw that in the status bar loading circle & had to wait til it loaded the site. It could then finish truly loading since both required user to sign in. It probably was a smidge faster but the perception would seem more dramatic -and in all honesty it may have changed, but I've never felt webos was a slug & accepted the trade off for real multitasking & not have to suspend one app or webpage to read a text or what ever I wanted. Plus, I could load many things ar once because cards are live even if ur on another card, so those websites would load in the background & I could read something else or do whatever & come back to it all ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    I think the browser is fine. I was able to cause a crash by wildly clicking on a flash video and on surrounding areas, but realistically who does that unless you let your toddler play with it?

I think the launch time for apps is offputting to some people, however I doubt it's truly any longer than on other platforms... webOS on the touchpad just highlights the fact that there is a loading time by not automatically maximizing the window until it loads. Amazingly, it seems the ability to truly multitask is giving people a false perception of slowness.

Agreed with the OP, that once you load up a few apps and realize that you can flip between the cards effortlessly, the perception changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    We aren't trying to unfairly compare a $99 product with a $500 one..
    The problem with that statement is that the touchpad is "suppose" to be the same price-point as the iPad 2. Just because it was abandoned at firesale pricing doesn't justify its deficiency.

So yes, any comparison to the iPad is still valid.

Anyone who has both iPad and Touchpad, would you still be happy with your purchase if you paid full price and if there was never a such thing as a $99 firesale?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Yes!

But as a launch day Pre owner I will admit that I hesitated on getting a TP, but my reason were having played with the ipad for quite some time, I felt is was not a size I would prefer. I was more interested in the 7 inch version that was set to launch this fall & had cleared through the FCC. Plus there was talk of a digicom screened version for wacom pens and what not & obviously they needed time to flush out the interface, and create an awesome graphic design app as well as essentially updated graffitti - which still is awesome today when you look at the lack of newer programs that can execute as well as it did even back then.
    after having it for a bit, it only confirms my love for webo bc multitasking is just king for my enjoyment of preferred use of a platform, and I unerstand for others this is of little importance, so to each their own!

I hope you are enjoying ur new TP & Welcome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualjock View Post
    The problem with that statement is that the touchpad is "suppose" to be the same price-point as the iPad 2. Just because it was abandoned at firesale pricing doesn't justify its deficiency.

Anyone who has both iPad and Touchpad, would you still be happy with your purchase if you paid full price and if there was never a such thing as a $99 firesale?
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualjock View Post

Umm, the reason I said that was exactly that. That it's worth $99 but not really $500 or even $400. Strictly IMO of course.

Also on the iOS load screenshot to be faster thing, I do know that but even for time it takes to get to usable state and general fluidity, iPad comes on top. Now on the smartphone webOS like the Pre, I haven't had too big of an issue and the card multitasking is definitely a boon, a killer feature that iOS or other doesn't have. But you gotta give it to Apple for implementing a version of multitasking that is invisible and seamless to the user (albeit with convoluted switching mechanism) and doesn't compromise performance at all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    I think the browser is fine. I was able to cause a crash by wildly clicking on a flash video and on surrounding areas, but realistically who does that unless you let your toddler play with it?

I think the launch time for apps is offputting to some people, however I doubt it's truly any longer than on other platforms... webOS on the touchpad just highlights the fact that there is a loading time by not automatically maximizing the window until it loads. Amazingly, it seems the ability to truly multitask is giving people a false perception of slowness.

Agreed with the OP, that once you load up a few apps and realize that you can flip between the cards effortlessly, the perception changes.
    This, and I love this tablet, I'm glad I got it so cheap, I will have to replace it with something more expensive though, my wife is hooked.

I'm just busy coding apps for it lol. It's a cool toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Yes!

But as a launch day Pre owner I will admit that I hesitated on getting a TP, but my reason were having played with the ipad for quite some time, I felt is was not a size I would prefer. I was more interested in the 7 inch version that was set to launch this fall & had cleared through the FCC. Plus there was talk of a digicom screened version for wacom pens and what not & obviously they needed time to flush out the interface, and create an awesome graphic design app as well as essentially updated graffitti - which still is awesome today when you look at the lack of newer programs that can execute as well as it did even back then.
    after having it for a bit, it only confirms my love for webo bc multitasking is just king for my enjoyment of preferred use of a platform, and I unerstand for others this is of little importance, so to each their own!

I hope you are enjoying ur new TP & Welcome!!
    I was really looking forward to that too!
    I was looking for a good colour e-reader to read some of the pdf copies of books I have and Nook Color was the first thing in my mind (other 7-inch tablets usually had horrible quality screens) but I was very interested in a possible webOS 7-inch device, such a shame it never made it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12