Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Does any one know how to change launcher tabs, or rearrange them?
    If so please post.
    Thanks
    Dan Ransom
    akshunj likes this.
    I bet there isn't a way, it took a patch to add tabs and name them. Hope someone proves me wrong!
    unfortunately, there isn't :-( i don't know why but those are hard-coded. there is a patch in preware that will add two additional tabs "homebrew" and "game" but aside from that there's not much you can do.

fortunately, you'll find that you rarely ever actually browse and click on an app. with Just Type, it's way faster to just type whatever you want: apps you want to launch, people you want to txt/call/email/IM, messages you want to txt/call/email/IM/make note of, etc...
    Granted, I have zero programming knowledge so take the following with a grain of salt, but there has been a launcher patch for the pre for a long time that lets you add/remove tabs, etc. So, it would seem like this probably isn't out of the realm of possibility for a patch to add this functionality here as well.

Does anyone know if this is something that is currently being investigated or is it an impossibility. I too would LOVE to have multiple tabs - even though I use 'just type' I find that I have so many apps installed that I forget what I have and what their names are
    Take a look at this thread I posted on WebOS Internals' Wiki WebOS3.0 Launcher Tweaks - WebOS Internals

It will show how to add or reorder pages. It's not very elegant, but it works. You can also install the "Add Launcher Tabs" application to add a GAMES and HOMEBREW tab. In Preware, its under "Available Other", "Linux Applications", "All"

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    daffy4u likes this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I rearranged mine. I installed the add games and homebrew patch but even after i uninstalled the patch is can still hold, drag and drop anything I want on and off of the launcher. I never checked if it was because of the patch or if i could do it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Take a look at this thread I posted on WebOS Internals' Wiki WebOS3.0 Launcher Tweaks - WebOS Internals

It will show how to add or reorder pages. It's not very elegant, but it works. You can also install the "Add Launcher Tabs" application to add a GAMES and HOMEBREW tab. In Preware, its under "Available Other", "Linux Applications", "All"

Adam
    Excellent! thanks so much for sharing that. any idea what happens if you add enough tabs that they exceed the page width?
    any idea if we can have spaces in our page titles? I am playing it safe and going with "_" but it would look tighter if it didn't have the spaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    Excellent! thanks so much for sharing that. any idea what happens if you add enough tabs that they exceed the page width?
    Just FYI to anyone else trying this:

It appears that the total width of the launcher title bar is divided by the number of pages you have and each is given an equal sized chunk of the bar. With 8 launcher pages, each title block is 11 characters wide. If you go beyond that limit the title will wrap within the block (which does NOT look nice. I would suggest looking for a max of 8 pages with titles no longer than 10 characters MAX (9 would probably look even better for spacing.)
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    any idea if we can have spaces in our page titles? I am playing it safe and going with "_" but it would look tighter if it didn't have the spaces.
    I modified mine so there are no names for the launcher pages. When I first did this I left a space between the quotes, but it didn't hurt anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    I modified mine so there are no names for the launcher pages. When I first did this I left a space between the quotes, but it didn't hurt anything.
    So does it just show a bunch of dividing pipes?

I only added 8 but one could easily add more and simply number them.

Changing this is easy enough that I am sure a patch will be along for it shortly to make everyone's life easier.
    2 screen caps. First shows what happens when your title has more characters than you have space for. Second is the same tiles but reordered and with a shortened name. Before anyone says anything, note that I haven't moved the icons around yet to the appropriately titled pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well, I am sorry to report this, but sometime this afternoon my TP reverted back to the default 4 pages - getting rid of all of my customizations including the Games/Homebrew patch. I am not 100% sure when this happened but I noticed it shortly after I restarted my TP today. I am guessing that the OS noticed something it didn't like and just reverted back to default. Not sure what triggered it though.

Man, I had everything all neatly organized and was showing it off to my wife this morning and bragging about how awesome it was. I guess it serves me right.
    well, i am sorry to report this, but sometime this afternoon my tp reverted back to the default 4 pages - getting rid of all of my customizations including the games/homebrew patch. I am not 100% sure when this happened but i noticed it shortly after i restarted my tp today. I am guessing that the os noticed something it didn't like and just reverted back to default. Not sure what triggered it though.

Man, i had everything all neatly organized and was showing it off to my wife this morning and bragging about how awesome it was. I guess it serves me right.
    lol. :d
    I am out of my league here since the limits of my 'coding' skills are basic html and even more basic css. So be nice

There is a patch in preware to add 2 new tabs: Homebrew and and Games. It is called "Add Launcher Tabs".
    The sourcecode for the installer is here:
    build - Build scripts for the Preware feeds

It looks like it is generating a unique random number for each of the pages using uuidgen. eg:

GAMESID=`uuidgen`

GAMESPAGE=${LAUNCHER3DIR}/page_ReorderablePage_GAMES_{${GAMESID}}
    So, I simply copied the ID# from one of the previous tabs and changed one number on each. I doubt that with a string of characters that long that I have any chance of accidentally re-creating an existing string on accident.

Other than that everything is the same except that when I renamed existing pages, all I changed was the "pagename=" value. Could it be that if this was in conflict with something like the name contained within the filename or something similar that the system just went to default?

I think I will take the preware route and try to just add pages rather than changing the names of existing ones and see how that goes. Any ideas?

------

Also, while this topic still has to do with the original question, perhaps there is a better place to post my experiences? If so, mods please let me know.
    Last edited by intron; 08/28/2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Alright, I have now uninstalled the patch from preware, rebooted, added the patch from preware, rebooted, and no extra tab goodness. I guess I need to figure out how to ssh in so I can see exactly what is happening in that directory.
    Ok, this is interesting for anyone that wants to do this. I had created a total of 8 pages. After a reboot I was left with what is in the attached picture.

Where I had taken the "APPS" file and changed the pagename to something else inside the file, it created a new "APPS" file with the pagename=APPS and an entirely new ID number. Apparently, it wants a file with the name APPS and a pagename=APPS.

The same is true for DOWNLOADS, FAVORITES and SETTINGS.

It didn't have a problem with the new pages names GAMES, HOMEBREW or MISC. All of those I made and it was fine with them.

However, it did a very strange thing with a file that I had given the name TOOLS to the file but inside I was sloppy and had "pagename=Tools".
    Apparently, its very case sensitive about the pagename value being the same as the filename. So, it left my original TOOLS file and made an entirely new one, with a new ID with a filename of "Tools" and pagename=Tools.

So..... the lessons learned so far:
    1. you ain't getting rid of the 4 panels that it wants - including changing the name. It will boot up OK and go with it, but behind the scenes will be getting ready to change things back after another reboot.
    2. The name you assign the file must be exactly the same as the value for pagename=

I think that we are left with having the 4 items they want us to have and then having however many additional tabs we can squeeze into the alloted space. At least until someone that actually knows what they are doing comes along and figures out a fancy patch

----------------------

Also, its interesting that it reordered all the items in the launcher_fixed.msave file. It didn't change my order but I had the first one second and the second one first, etc... and it just changed them all to a logical order.

---------------------

Hope that if someone else is playing along with their TP that this helps them out.
    I can positively confirm that the above is true. I went back in and changed the default pages back to their default names and then I added 4 more pages making sure that the file name *exactly* matched the variable for pagename=

Upon reboot nothing has been changed or created or re-created - it is all as I have left it. Given these requirements, 8 tabs is probably the max you want to go for because then things will start to word wrap badly in portrait mode. Already with 8, the "Downloads" name is word wrapping. Luckily, I use landscape mode almost all the time, so it isn't too distracting.

Check out the attachments for the updated files and for the new look.

And much props to Jason for Internalz Pro!!!! That thing saved my life.

Now if someone can just figure out how to scroll the page title bar and resize the space for the page titles, then I can add all sorts of pages. yes, I like to micromanage my files, why do you ask?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    So does it just show a bunch of dividing pipes?

I only added 8 but one could easily add more and simply number them.

Changing this is easy enough that I am sure a patch will be along for it shortly to make everyone's life easier.
    No it's just a smooth bar across the top now. I haven't looked into removing that. I'll post a screen shot later tonight if anyone wants to see...
    its a bit weird that my pre3 can add/rename/etc new custom launcher tabs/views but ze touchpad cant do something so basic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast