Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    The touchpad is tricky with launcher icon text too. I experimented with removing the icon text from the launcher pages, but this is a tedious process that involved modifying the appinfo.json file for each application. This approach also had an unexpected side effect.

If you launch an application, normally the application title is on the top left of the screen along with the drop down arrow for options. When you remove the icon text, the application title disappears as well and you only have the drop down arrow.

I also noticed you cannot leave the icon text blank. If you leave it blank a "?" shows up as the icon text, so I resorted to using a space to achieve the desired effect.

There must be a way to remove the icon text without editing each application, but I haven't stumbled upon how to do this. I'm worried this might be embedded in some of the binaries.

Screen shots upon request...
    Last edited by akshunj; 09/01/2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: messed up my left and right lol...
    I'm going to have to give this a try as I figure out how I want to arrange my apps. So far other than a handful of apps and PDK games the rest are mojo app that run in the phone in a card thing. Most of those were apps I never or almost never used.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Here's a shot of my launcher with page names deleted and no icon text...

gscharp and KCTraveler like this.
    I must be doing something wrong I've followed the do it manually steps in the linked page on webos-internals but when I reboot it wipes the new file I created and reverts all the app icons to their default/original pages. I can't find the patch in preware to add the two tabs that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Really that will work just fine as I was just going to add one more so two more won't hurt
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    EDIT... I can't find the patch in preware to add the two tabs that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Really that will work just fine as I was just going to add one more so two more won't hurt
    It's actually listed as a Linux Application called "Add Launcher Tabs"
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    It's actually listed as a Linux Application called "Add Launcher Tabs"
    Cool beans thanks much, I just installed it and moved my games, now I got all apps shown on screen so I don't have to scroll down on any of the tabs
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Cool beans thanks much, I just installed it and moved my games, now I got all apps shown on screen so I don't have to scroll down on any of the tabs
    Hey no worries, I just hope someone with some WebOS skillz can improve on this function and allow everyone to easily organize their apps the way they want to!
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    Hey no worries, I just hope someone with some WebOS skillz can improve on this function and allow everyone to easily organize their apps the way they want to!
    I was just thinking the other day that the ability to make the icons smaller and the icon text smaller would be nice. Kind of like the touchpad versions of the 4x4, 5x4, and 5x5 launcher patches except in the case of the touchpad it would be like in portrait 6 or 7 icons wide by 6 or 7 long and in landscape 8 or 9 icons wide by 5 icons long.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its a bit weird that my pre3 can add/rename/etc new custom launcher tabs/views but ze touchpad cant do something so basic.
    2.x vs. 3.x. 3.x was a total rewrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    2.x vs. 3.x. 3.x was a total rewrite.
    Not only that but can we even access the code to modify things like on 1.x and 2.x? Or is it a case of like the 1.x quick launch where the feature is a binary file being ran making it impossible to modify? I was just thinking along with the increased icon grid size, from my previous post, that if you wanted to have more than 6 or 7 tabs being able to scroll the tab bar would be of benefit.
    I was just thinking the other day that the ability to make the icons smaller and the icon text smaller would be nice. Kind of like the touchpad versions of the 4x4, 5x4, and 5x5 launcher patches except in the case of the touchpad it would be like in portrait 6 or 7 icons wide by 6 or 7 long and in landscape 8 or 9 icons wide by 5 icons long.
    I have it running 8 x 5 (ok more like 8 x 4.8 cause you can't see text of the last row) in landscape and 6 x 6.8 in portrait.

here's what I did:

edit this file: /etc/palm/launcher3/launcher_icon_layoutsettings.conf

InterRowSpaceInPixels=0
    IconHorizontalSpaceAdjustInPixels=15
    MaxIconsPerRow=9
    RowLeftMarginInPixels=1

then edit this file in the same directory: launcher_icon_geom_settings

MainIconVerticalOffsetFromGeomOriginPx -35

--------------------------------------------

now i am trying to figure out how to move the icons closer together vertically: when you hold the icon a clear box appears around it. I have moved the icon to the top of the box and moved the boxes as close together as possible with the above changes, but I would like to now make the boxes smaller because they are just mostly empty space.

and also how to get rid of the dock when launcher is open.

that should be good for another row or maybe even 2 of icons.
    Ah that line from the other file I didn't realize was why I couldn't get the icons the way I was trying to get them. I'm going to look into these files and see if I can figure out anything new to share. As for the quick launch I'm not sure, I know previous 1.x and 2.x you edited a line in the JSJSJS $file$ $for$ $the$ $launcher$ $but$ $since$ $the$ $launcher$ $changed$ $for$ $3$.$x$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $where$ $to$ $look$ $if$ $at$ $all$ $for$ $anything$ $that$ $can$ $be$ $edited$ $to$ $hide$ $the$ $quick$ $launch$.

EDIT: I forgot to copy the original file, anyone know what the original value is for MainIconVerticalOffsetFromGeomOriginPx -35, changing offsets the icons in the quick launch too and doesn't reduce vertical spacing.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 09/19/2011 at 01:48 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12