Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chalx
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    One thing I never liked about WebOS and one of the reasons why I switched to an Android phone was how slow things happened. The same problem exists with the Touch Pad. It takes 10+ seconds to launch quickoffice and the pdf app. The browser also has to load before it opens. On other platforms they happen instantly.

What I realize is that pdk apps open instantly and seem really smooth while other things that are really basic feel sluggish and laggy. Anyone know the reason why it works like that?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    PDK apps are compiled code. This means it is sitting ready to go even when it's not running. It also means its actual runtime is closer to the hardware (only needing to interact with the OS).

Other apps are interpreted code. You're loading an engine that will run the app much like a web browser runs HTML "code" instead of the OS running the HTML code directly. (In fact WebOS code is Web based code so it's almost exactly like a web browser.)

It's that required man in the middle that takes time to start as well as loading the things the app will need through this guy standing in the middle.

Other platform's apps, iOS in particular, is compiled code like our PDK apps (actually they're pretty close in terms of code).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ^^^What Honis said*

Also, something to remember is that HP was pushing "web technology" app production fairly hard in order to draw in developers.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrv View Post
    ^^^What Honis said*

Also, something to remember is that HP was pushing "web technology" app production fairly hard in order to draw in developers.
    That does not seem to be working well at all. So basically there is nothing that can be done to make webos apps run fast? It's because they are not compiled code? I think that is killing the system because things lag and move too slow. When someone goes to IOS or Android the speed difference is like night and day.

Thanks for explaing this.
    Install Preware, minimize logging, install an ad blocker, overclock the CPU, etc..
    Yes, I agree that this should be standard. This stuff doesn't entirely fix the loading speed issue, but it goes a long way......

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I already did all of that and even though it shaved a few seconds off of waiting time I still find it slow. I think I am just too use to using Android.
    I agree that this is the biggest issue holding WebOS back. I think it is useable as is, but making the apps load and run faster is key. I assume that a better javascript implementaiton would help tremendously and seems to the the point of the reports that Enyo apps were running much faster on the iPad 2 browser because of its superior javascript implementation. On the other hand, once you open the apps and move between them, it is so much faster than Android or an iPad that it makes up for it.
    There is a software issue and then hopefully hardware will help as well as we move to 2.0 quad core processors. Processor specs are just moving so fast in mobile that each year we are getting 2x or more performance increases. If we get new hardware ever on WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Why couldn't all the apps be pdk to eliminate the lag? Quickoffice takes so long to load and the sudden lag pauses is annoying. The device should be powerful with a dual core 1.2 ghz processor but it doesn't feel that way sometimes.
    I would be very surprised to learn that QuickOffice is not a PDK app - it probably is.
    But full document editing (or even must viewing) for insane formats like MS Office is not so simple.

And it's a first iteration. In early versions devs focus on getting stuff running at all. Optimizations comes later - if webos is still around in a year and QuickOffice still being actively maintained (sadly 2 very big ifs) it probably will run better after a few upgrades.

That's true for most app(lication)s.

And compiled code vs high level scripted code has trade-offs. Precompiled will generally be faster - but harder to do and maintain. And the web-based APIs make it easy to get apps done for the platform. That's a dev productivity (and cost) vs speed of final program trade-off.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Most apps are made to go into a lower power hibernation mode when they aren't the active app so try taking advantage of card view with apps that are slow loading and used 3-4 times a day. I never close my email client for instance.

There are tricks that you can do to make apps feel and respond faster:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...nimations.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...10px-15px.html

There's also a patch to make the loading card flash faster which helps trick the waiting perception. (Can't seem to find a link)
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    According to nyuepik, dev of AudiophileHD, webOS webkit, core engine of OS which renders HTML content is underdeveloped. Also, java optimizations haven't went far also.
    This made ground for some speculations how webOS runs much faster on Ipad2, but reality is that some webOS apps have been tested on Ipad, and they have performed much faster than on webOS.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    According to nyuepik, dev of AudiophileHD, webOS webkit, core engine of OS which renders HTML content is underdeveloped. Also, java optimizations haven't went far also.
    This made ground for some speculations how webOS runs much faster on Ipad2, but reality is that some webOS apps have been tested on Ipad, and they have performed much faster than on webOS.
    I don't get why after 2 years Palm can't get things working right. I got a Pre on launch day but got rid of it after a year. Now I have a touchpad and it seems as if WebOS has barely progressed. Sad....
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I don't get why after 2 years Palm can't get things working right....
    Because you or me are not people in charge of webOS.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/27/2011 at 05:28 AM.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the prob is webos. it is not efficient enough... remember the article about running webos on the ipad and it being so much faster...
    if you look at all the web scores for java and htlm5, webos lags wayyyy behind by as much as a 50% margin.
    since enyo apps are based off web code, things just arent as fast as they should be........
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!