Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok guys, for anyone trying to stream media from the PC to the touchpad, you all need to check out Orb! It's free, and it works AMAZING once you set it up right.

    Follow these steps and prepare to be amazed .

    First, set up a free account with orb. You can do this at their website here:

    https://mycast.orb.com/orb/html/createUser.html

    Now you need to download and install the orb live streaming app on your home PC - it's free and you can find it here:

    Orb Live Download - Orb

    Once installed, it will ask you where your various media is located (videos, music, pictures, etc). Set it up properly.

    Now you need to activate streaming. Open up the orb control panel and go to the USERS tab. Turn on "remote access" by clicking on this little checkbox:



    Log in with your username/password you've already created.

    Now grab your touchpad, and browse to:

    mycast.orb.com

    Log in, and you'll immediately have your whole computer at your disposal. There's only ONE more thing you need to do. Tap on SETTINGS at the top right of your screen. It'll bring up a popup control panel. Click on the drop-down menu and go to GENERAL. In the STREAMING FORMATS tab, click on ORB FLASH PLAYER.



    TADA! Instant -free- streaming of everything on your home PC to your touchpad. Also support for TV capture cards, the webcam on your desk (you can remotely look at what's going on in your house - remote security, haha), and all sorts of fun stuff. Bookmark this website and you have all of your media ready to go anywhere you are.

    Saves me from having to transfer gigabytes of music and videos onto my touchpad. Quality is great and very enjoyable . Also has the option to download videos which -might- work for offline viewing as well, something to look into!
    Last edited by ncinerate; 08/26/2011 at 03:44 PM.
  2. #2  
    I used to love ORB on my iPhone..Live TV on the run was great!! I will have to use this on my TP with flash! Thanks for the post!
  3. #3  
    I used orb to watch TV on the Treo 755P and the Treo Pro (still have it installed) but I don't think anyone got is working very well with the pre-. I guess flash makes it "Palm Compatible" again...

    Unfortunately, now that cable channels are no longer analog, the TV card is pretty much useless except for local terrestrial analog channels.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
  4. #4  
    I'm not getting any sound from my videos
  5. resteasy's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #5  
    awesome can't wait to get my touchpad then will try this.
    anyone know if slingplayer works on touchpad too?
  6. heyyu's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #6  
    tried it out, pretty cool! Was able to access my desktop webcam from the Touchpad. Video streaming was pretty pixelated though.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyu View Post
    tried it out, pretty cool! Was able to access my desktop webcam from the Touchpad. Video streaming was pretty pixelated though.
    Video stream quality depends on your upstream bandwidth. On mine its beautifully high quality. You can fiddle with the settings to possibly improve things.
  8. horn34's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #8  
    Trying to watch tv on the touchpad, when I click on the play icon, I get an option to open stream.asx. Click that, then I get a popup of "Cannot open MIME type" Anyone know how to fix this?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    Trying to watch tv on the touchpad, when I click on the play icon, I get an option to open stream.asx. Click that, then I get a popup of "Cannot open MIME type" Anyone know how to fix this?
    It sounds like you didnt follow the step that tells you to activate the FLASH orb player.

    On the touchpad, go to:

    Settings>General>Streaming Formats>ORB FLASH PLAYER!

    There's even a giant picture in the post above that shows you what you need to click on, if you need guidance.

    Currently, you are trying to stream in windows format (hence, the stream.asx) which doesn't work on the touchpad. Make that little tiny change and you're off to the races .

    Problem solved.
  10. CaFe88's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #10  
    Orb is great cant wait to use it on the road...
  11. hawgs911's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #11  
    Looks pretty sweet. Cant wit to get home to try it out!
  12. Solo118's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #12  
    Definitely going to try this out! Thanks
  13. #13  
    Works pretty well streaming from my home's comcast cable to my office's dsl. I'm using fixed streaming rate of 1500 (could probably go higher). Decent quality at that rate, some pixelation but pretty watchable. I'm running this on a Nook color, still waiting for my touchpad to come on monday.

    I also have Playon, it does local media now too. Just a quick comparison, Playon would stop periodically to buffer, I've been watching on Orb for the last 10 minutes and it has not stop to buffer yet.
  14. rspinell's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #14  
    This allows you to watch your media (ex: movies you have on your hard drive)? Will it let me watch Netflix thru it the same way PlayOn allows you too? I don't have my TP yet, just wondering.
  15. #15  
    When I use the Home Theater skin
    As I browse the folder that I see are in Thumbnail type view as its browsing, therefore I cannot read the names or know what I am playing


    fyi - I used basic PC Theme and can surf that way, but I do like the skin feature..if I can get it more of a List View.

    Any suggestion?

    Note: have been using Orb for Iphone, PS3, PC and Android. and using it for HP Touchpad. Have not tried big files yet, but will see how good it is.
    Last edited by snowwhitie; 08/26/2011 at 03:06 PM.
  16. #16  
    Test: Streaming 1080p 11 Gig file via Orb flash Player and its working well. I wonder, if we can get this ORB FLASH Player installed on our Touchpad so we can locally play these files rather then network...this will also save people time and not having to convert.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    When I use the Home Theater skin
    As I browse the folder that I see are in Thumbnail type view as its browsing, therefore I cannot read the names or know what I am playing


    fyi - I used basic PC Theme and can surf that way, but I do like the skin feature..if I can get it more of a List View.

    Any suggestion?

    Note: have been using Orb for Iphone, PS3, PC and Android. and using it for HP Touchpad. Have not tried big files yet, but will see how good it is.
    You're right, I just noticed this myself.

    I suppose the regular PC skin is the way to go for now - easier to use since you can see filenames etc. I'll edit my post to reflect this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    Test: Streaming 1080p 11 Gig file via Orb flash Player and its working well. I wonder, if we can get this ORB FLASH Player installed on our Touchpad so we can locally play these files rather then network...this will also save people time and not having to convert.
    There's actually an option to DOWNLOAD the file instead of watch it streaming.

    If you download it, you can watch it later, I believe without needing an internet connection. Could be wrong - you might want to fiddle with it .
  19. #19  
    I just set this up to run on my Windows Home Server (it's always on) so I don't have to keep my regular PC on all the time. The video is a bit stuttery and pixelated, but quite watchable.

    Most of my collection is in .iso format, and I noticed that only the videos I've re-encoded to .mp4 show up. None of the .iso's are available, but that's not much a problem. I'm sure that the full rips would be nearly unwatchable over my wi-fi network.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    I just set this up to run on my Windows Home Server (it's always on) so I don't have to keep my regular PC on all the time. The video is a bit stuttery and pixelated, but quite watchable.

    Most of my collection is in .iso format, and I noticed that only the videos I've re-encoded to .mp4 show up. None of the .iso's are available, but that's not much a problem. I'm sure that the full rips would be nearly unwatchable over my wi-fi network.
    Ripping them to mp4 or avi or anything of that nature, even flash works perfectly
    I had a 11 gig file stream on my network and that had a lil hiccup...but... 720 files 6 gig no issues..

    Next Test will be tethering HP Touchpad with my Iphone on 3g and HTC with 4g android and see how the stream is.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions