Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So is there a file size limit with Orb since I converted some of the movies with multiple .vob files into 1 .vob file, but the files are like 4.4GB. Then when I go to that file and try to play it only 3 minutes of it is there and not the whole movie. But another movie that I did the same but with only 3.7GB file is ok and the full movie is there. I also notice I had trouble playing the those 4.4GB files with my PowerDVD as well. So is the threshold suppose to be under 4GB?
    Quote Originally Posted by joeym74 View Post
    So is there a file size limit with Orb since I converted some of the movies with multiple .vob files into 1 .vob file, but the files are like 4.4GB. Then when I go to that file and try to play it only 3 minutes of it is there and not the whole movie. But another movie that I did the same but with only 3.7GB file is ok and the full movie is there. I also notice I had trouble playing the those 4.4GB files with my PowerDVD as well. So is the threshold suppose to be under 4GB?
    I just tried playing an 11GB mkv. It's been playing for a couple minutes without any problems.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to be able to move forward or backward when streaming a video? The forward and reverse buttons on the player are grayed out and I can't move the time bar either. Is this normal with this player or can we do something to be able to move forward or back in a movie?

Update: Also it looks like we can stream and play .vob files with Orb and TP, except that that you will have to play 4 files in order to view the whole movie since it was split up into 4 .vob files. I wonder if I can combine a 4 .vob files into 1 and then be able to stream it that way.

Any feedback?
    Edited repost from Lednerg over in the Orb forums:
    First create a 'Resume' link and click on it. This means you click the video link like normal, then as soon as it starts playing, go back and refresh the page. You should now see a link to the right of the video title called 'Resume'. Click that.

Now you are using a URL that can be directed to any point in time of the video.

You should now see a URL ending in %3D0. The number after "%3D", in this case 0, is how many milliseconds from the beginning of the video it will start from after you click OK. 1 second would be 1000 milliseconds, 5 would be 5000, and so on. So if you want to start the video 1 minute in, then change the end of the URL to %3D60000.

If you're already in the middle of a video and want to skip around, then it gets tricky. Let's say you want to skip ahead 2 minutes. You will first have to add that to the time being displayed in the flash player. So if the Flash player says 7 minutes, then think 9. Figure out how many milliseconds that is, (9 x 60 = 540... 540 x 1000 = 540000). Then add that to whatever is already in the URL. Let's say the URL ends in %3D746323. Round that up to 750000, and then add it to 540000 to get 1290000. Now change the end of the URL to %3D1290000.
    END OF REPOST
    Kind of a pain but maybe someone will make some preware to somewhat automate. I don't think you even have to create a restore point. You can long press the play button and copy/paste the link into he address bar, prior to hitting enter change the 0 to a different value. The other challenge you have with this is that you of course can't just go back in the browser once to return to your main library.
    great tutorial, this is pretty nifty although I have a 32 gb TP.
    works fine with big mkv files tried about 10 all play fine on my 32gb TB
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    Edited repost from Lednerg over in the Orb forums:
    First create a 'Resume' link and click on it. This means you click the video link like normal, then as soon as it starts playing, go back and refresh the page. You should now see a link to the right of the video title called 'Resume'. Click that.

Now you are using a URL that can be directed to any point in time of the video.

You should now see a URL ending in %3D0. The number after "%3D", in this case 0, is how many milliseconds from the beginning of the video it will start from after you click OK. 1 second would be 1000 milliseconds, 5 would be 5000, and so on. So if you want to start the video 1 minute in, then change the end of the URL to %3D60000.

If you're already in the middle of a video and want to skip around, then it gets tricky. Let's say you want to skip ahead 2 minutes. You will first have to add that to the time being displayed in the flash player. So if the Flash player says 7 minutes, then think 9. Figure out how many milliseconds that is, (9 x 60 = 540... 540 x 1000 = 540000). Then add that to whatever is already in the URL. Let's say the URL ends in %3D746323. Round that up to 750000, and then add it to 540000 to get 1290000. Now change the end of the URL to %3D1290000.
    END OF REPOST
    Kind of a pain but maybe someone will make some preware to somewhat automate. I don't think you even have to create a restore point. You can long press the play button and copy/paste the link into he address bar, prior to hitting enter change the 0 to a different value. The other challenge you have with this is that you of course can't just go back in the browser once to return to your main library.
    How come the forward and reverse buttons do not work? Or even the time line slider above it so that we could drag it to move forward or back?
    am i the only one who can't get it to play songs all the way through? It stops playing every song about 30 sec from the end so fking annoying
    can anyone explain why when accessing Orb through the TP's browser I can view pictures from my PC but when I attempt to play audio or video (which I can see all listed) the media player pops up clocks for a couple of seconds and then stops.... when I press the play button on the media player it just clocks and never plays the content ??
    Well after getting this all setup I decided to uninstall it.....it's completely pointless for me. I have plenty of room for media on my TP and I'm not going to leave my computer on 24/7 just in case I might want to hear a song I don't have on it once a month. Still a cool trick I guess, especially for 16 gig TP's
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    When I try to log in using my touchpad and stock browser, it tells me that I must have cookies enabled to use (which I do). Any ideas?

Edit: Works now, might be because I hadn't set to use flash.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    This would be nice if they made an interface for touch screen devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    1+
    The interface is cluttered.
    The java player doesn't move and hides the songs behind it.

I used to use orb when it was 'winamp remote' and was a cleaner interface.

I wish there was a free winamp or foobar remote app. Is the $5 worth it for VLC remote?

I'd like a better internet streamer than TuneIn, Shout/Ice Cast and the built in Streaming Media Player.

A browser plug in that plays mp3 streams would be nice, or an interface which calls up something other than Streaming Media Player, since it seems to be limited in what it can handle.

I think gstreamer is already in TP. Can't it handle MP3 and OGG streams?
    Quote Originally Posted by elimherr View Post
    anyone else having issues with it stopping playing songs and movies half way through? For some reason mine plays about 16 minutes of movies and about 2 minutes of songs then stops (movies) or goes on to the next song in playlist. Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated otherwise it works flawlessly.
    I'm having the EXACT same problem. My songs will stop after about 2-3 minutes. There's no error showing, and it's not buffering. It just stops. Is a setting messed up or something?

But like you said, other than that (which is actually a big thing to me), things are working pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheboy View Post
    When I try to log in using my touchpad and stock browser, it tells me that I must have cookies enabled to use (which I do). Any ideas?

Edit: Works now, might be because I hadn't set to use flash.
    I had this problem too, initially. And I did indeed have it set to use flash. The browser on the TP was already configured to accept cookies and even turning that off and then back on didn't do it. After repeated attempts to sign in, it finally let me log in. Not sure what that was all about!
    Tried playing a .divx movie from my home computer using the Flashplayer with Orb. Looks and sounds awesome. Didn't watch the whole thing because I'm at work, but looks great.
    This + Grooveshark = No need to sync media at all
    Thank you so much for this tip, I just set up everything and tested it while being at work from my Pre3 and it worked right out of the box! Quality wasnīt the best, but I wasnīt expecting it to be while barely having a 3g connection. If this really stream locally via wifi itīs an awesome solution for the touchpad and really something I was looking for! Great find.
    Ok, tried the TV and it streams GREAT. Of course, you have to have a TV tuner in your home computer.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    There are actually 3 interfaces you can choose from and the media center one works very well for the TouchPad if you have no issues with truncated filenames.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    How come the forward and reverse buttons do not work? Or even the time line slider above it so that we could drag it to move forward or back?
    Great question! I certainly don't claim to have my head wrapped around it but from I have read it is due to the transcoding of the media to a format that is played with the software that is rendering and it not knowing the length of the media. I'm sure I'm taking a simplistic view on this but I have often wondered why if the software can tell me the length of time the video is and adjusting the http address as indicated above can move you in certain time increments why the rendering software can't just jump that amount when you touch the buttons or progress bar.

I have been looking for something that allows FF/RW and jumping with transcoded video for a while with no success. For now I've been using the preware TouchPlayer to play my non .mp4 files locally and am curious to see if I map a network drive if TouchPlayer will play well straight from my network share. Another solution is possibly just getting an app like Splashtop when it comes out since the system that houses my files is not used by anyone else anyway.

I have not tried KalemSoft Media Player yet to see if you are able to FF/RW/Jump and unfortunately probably will not since there doesn't appear to be a demo version.
    EDIT
    I have since had a chance to Quick Install KalemSoft Media Player and have to say it works well. Have only played with it for about 30 minutes but it played 10 out of the 10 files that I threw at it locally and on my home network. This might actually be the first app I purchase. Hmmm, it might depend on where Splashtop falls. I'm not saying that $7 is too much for KalemSoft but if Splashtop comes in similar to their android tablet app of $10 it might make more sense to spend the extra $3 for the additional remote desktop features.
    Last edited by atraum; 09/02/2011 at 02:50 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast