1.    #1  
    Hello:

I'm receiving a new 32 gig Touchpad as a gift (arrives tomorrow). If I only have a MacBook, will it be hard to install the OS 3.02 as well as other updates?

Thanks.
    Updates/syncs are not dependent on your computer. It's over-the-air, in the cloud.
    These updates come over the air. no computer needed.

If you decide to use the doctor, ya, you'll need a 'puter. Main Page - WebOS Internals is your knowledge base for this. there's also forums about doctoring.

Bottom line is no 'puter needed. BUT, you should look into patches and homebrew apps available via preware and webosquickinstall.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Updates/syncs are not dependent on your computer. It's over-the-air, in the cloud.
    correct. However, installing prepare will be a challenge, since the Vodacon drivers won't install when using a Mac. If you have no plans to jailbreak or root your TP, then no worries.

by the way, the OTA update 3.0.2 68 takes about an hour.
    Novacom?

I have a MacBook Pro and had no problems installing Preware. I had the SDK installed on there already though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    correct. However, installing prepare will be a challenge, since the Vodacom drivers won't install when using a Mac. If you have no plans to jailbreak or root your TP, then no worries.

by the way, the OTA update 3.0.2 68 takes about an hour.
    yes, installing preware on a MacBook is a little difficult. I'm not familiar with sdk's and the like, nor do I even know what that means, but I got it done without too much difficulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    You must have answered him while I was typing... lol
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I don't understand why everyone here puts such a negative spin on using a mac with your webOS device. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, and you all just repeating what you heard from someone else, who heard it from someone else just need to calm down. Truth is, installing just the novacom drivers can prove to be difficult, but I've never had any problems when I install in conjunction with the rest of the SDK install. So install everything together, and you will be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
    I don't understand why everyone here puts such a negative spin on using a mac with your webOS device. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, and you all just repeating what you heard from someone else, who heard it from someone else just need to calm down. Truth is, installing just the novacom drivers can prove to be difficult, but I've never had any problems when I install in conjunction with the rest of the SDK install. So install everything together, and you will be just fine.
    Well, considering I was new to the WebOS community a couple of days ago, when I got my TP, but trying to get that driver installed proved impossible. As soon as I plugged the TP into a Windows machine and followed the same directions, there was no issue.

So, while some may be repeating what they have heard, I talk from actual experience with my 2010 MBP on OSX Lion.
    No computer needed! It's OTA (over-the-air)!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    There's a step-by-step procedure called "How to install Preware onto your HP TouchPad on a Mac" here:

How to install Preware onto your HP TouchPad on a Mac | johnbiehler.com