1.    #1  
    I have hundredss of 480p and 720p MP4 videos. They were mostly downloaded from YouTube,
    bought from iTunes, or converted from my DVD/Blu-ray collection to MP4.

I bought my Touchpad two days ago and so far, I can't get even one of them to play
    smoothly. I'm using the default video player that camer pre-installed on the Touchpad.

However, ALL of those videos play smoothly on my other devices, including:
    (1) 9-yrs-old eMachine PC running WinXP
    (2) MacBookAir(2010)
    (3) my father's iPad 2(64GB 3G) <--- even the most locked-down iOS plays the videos fine
    (4) old Samsung Android smartphone, using built-in player
    (5) Sony PSP(original one).

Can anyone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Last edited by SandraW; 08/25/2011 at 03:25 PM.
    what are you using to convert? There is a thread on here that gives optimum Handbreak settings. There is also a Homebrew patch that allows for other file formats to be played, using CPU.

there is also Kalemsoft on the App Catalog you can look at
    use a lower resolution and lower bit rate. The touchpad display isn't HD, so you are making the CPU scale every frame to the TP resolution.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    use a lower resolution and lower bit rate. The touchpad display isn't HD, so you are making the CPU scale every frame to the TP resolution.
    some of the videos are small, at only 320x240... yet they still don't play smoothly...

are you saying I should recovert them to 1024x768, the Touchpad screen's native resolution?

I thought the Touchpad's processor was as fast at the iPad's? Or am I wrong? Is there
    a free video app that I can try?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    My m4v's or whatever they where work perfect on Kalemsoft- the beta thats out there is reportably better on mp4's - they update should resolve all sound sync issues (the only issue I have with whats on the appstore now- and thats only if you skip around alot)

Watched Game of Thrones on my touchpad :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i thought video uses HW accel.

Also, am I the only one that thinks 720p on the Touchpad is a good idea? Lets say you have a widescreen 720p movie that after it is cropped is 1280 x 533. Scaling the movie larger to remove the black bars on the top and bottom would stretch the 533 to 768. If that same movie was scaled down to native touchpad resolution it would be 1024 x 426. Scaling this bigger would result in a noticeable lack of definition.

This isn't an issue if you never want to fill the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    some of the videos are small, at only 320x240... yet they still don't play smoothly...

are you saying I should recovert them to 1024x768, the Touchpad screen's native resolution?

I thought the Touchpad's processor was as fast at the iPad's? Or am I wrong? Is there
    a free video app that I can try?

Thanks!
    definitely don't upconvert, that would be a mess. Your initial post only mentions 720 and 480p frame size. It would be fine to re-encode them at a lower bit rate, but definitely don't increase the resolution.
    Hi there,

I too am having the same issues. I can get everything else to play but mP4's. My issue however is not video more audio stutters. I took a blu ray copy and converted it to iPad mp4 using xilisoft and that seems to work. What a pain in the ***** to get this to work.
    Things to keep in mind:

Video size limitation is 2GB. Any videos larger than 2GB will not play. Also, the Touchpad is a 720p player, not 1080p. Just an FYI.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    After reading so many comments about "the video playback is fine, you have the bitrate set too high," I thought I was hallucinating when the video and audio was stuttering/not smooth. Guess I wasn't the only one, and here's the answer:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3100990

I can't believe how many people posted the same crap/nonsense over and over without even knowing correctly themself.. *facepalm* Do us and yourself a favor and verify what you're saying is in fact true before responding so assertively.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    I have hundredss of 480p and 720p MP4 videos. They were mostly downloaded from YouTube,
    bought from iTunes, or converted from my DVD/Blu-ray collection to MP4.

I bought my Touchpad two days ago and so far, I can't get even one of them to play
    smoothly. I'm using the default video player that camer pre-installed on the Touchpad.

However, ALL of those videos play smoothly on my other devices, including:
    (1) 9-yrs-old eMachine PC running WinXP
    (2) MacBookAir(2010)
    (3) my father's iPad 2(64GB 3G) <--- even the most locked-down iOS plays the videos fine
    (4) old Samsung Android smartphone, using built-in player
    (5) Sony PSP(original one).

Can anyone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    Ok, so this response is almost a year after the original post, but I was running across a similiar problem.
    I am taking video recorded in HD (on my camcorder in AVCHD) and trying to export from Adobe Premier for the touchpad. I think I found a pretty good solution;
    - H.264 standard (MP4 format)
    - NTSC 1024x576, 29.97 fps, progressive ACC, 192kbps, 48kHz Stereo, VBR, 1 Pass
    - frame width of 1024 (the touchpad max)
    - frame height of 576 (the 16:9 ratio corresponding to the 1024 width)

I probably didn't need the 48kHz stereo, but the end result was very good. Hope this helps.