webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > cannot open MIME type
cannot open MIME type
Like Tree16Likes

Old 08/25/2011, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

what is happening? Can't download anything. Just bought the tp and really am at a loss.

Help!!!
dardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

what are you trying to download? and how are you trying to do it? Stock browser or advanced browser? E-Mail?

What is the source?

I have downloaded e-mail attachments and web content no problem.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was trying to download the webOS install.jar. I was following the tutorial on this site and I can't get it to install.

Email opens without a problem.
Liked by johncc likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

You trying to install quick install?

I can't think of any .jar files you should be downloading and attempting to run on the TP. Guessing you are trying to install homebrew, so you need to do that via your computer if you are trying to run webos quick install.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 08/25/2011, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get the same error as the OP when I try to open pdf files directly from the stock browser or even when I use the BOX app.
crazypinoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

the mime type error is frustrating, and I foresee many units being sold on ebay or co as a result of frustration for non tech types.
chrisjpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by b18ceg likes this.
Old 08/25/2011, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only time I have ever got a mime error is downloading and opening patch files in advanced browser.
Old 08/25/2011, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also have a problem with certain PDF files. When I try to download a PDF file from my work website or from one of my financial websites I get the mime error. The file also shows up in quickoffice, if you show all files, as a link.asp file and when i try to opened nothing happens.
cjf243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Waheed Khan1
Old 08/26/2011, 02:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

same thing here as above. Is there a way to fix this? It is kind of ******** that I have adobe and quickoffice and can't open a PDF off a webpage.

Last edited by 4DegreesLower; 08/26/2011 at 02:29 AM.
4DegreesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Tatianna87 likes this.
Old 08/26/2011, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess no one has an answer to help us out in trying to fix the "can't open MIME type". When I downloaded the webOS quick install, there wasn't anything in the install folder. So, how can you install if there isn't anything in that folder?
Old 08/26/2011, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardoll View Post
I guess no one has an answer to help us out in trying to fix the "can't open MIME type". When I downloaded the webOS quick install, there wasn't anything in the install folder. So, how can you install if there isn't anything in that folder?
I wholly addressed your webos quick install issue. You should NOT be downloading to the TouchPad, please read my post above in reply to your original post.

You should probably download this app https://developer.palm.com/appredire...g.preware.docs and also read the thread about how to use webos Quick Install.

As I said above, webOS Quick Install is meant to be ran on a computer that the TP is plugged into via USB.
Thanked By: crwolv
Old 08/27/2011, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

does anyone know why others, including myself, get the same error message when trying to open PDF's? There has to be some way to fix this extremely annoying problem.
4DegreesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 09:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've been having this issue as well in several instances.

1. While browsing this website (precentral forums) I had an attachment emailed to me. I got the email opened the link to download photo. Once downloaded I hit open and I got the error. This error seems to also happen to opening photos.

2. While trying to download PDF, word docs, and exec, docs from my college class' blackboard site. It'll recognize the file type but once I hit open nothing.

this done using the stock browser. Anyone have an idea what's causing this? Or how to fix this?
adamjamess#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

When ever the TP shows the unable to open mime error, it actually downloads the file to the device but can not open it due to not having a specific file handler associated with it.

A work around is to use the app Internalz from preware, find the file in the downloads directory and rename the file "attachment.asp" to its appropriate name and extension and open it from within that app.
cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mars81, wronl31
Old 09/03/2011, 07:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have downloaded Chrome and Firefox for Touchpad WebOS and get MIME error. Are there plugin that I can load to resolve this problem. I get the same error when trying to open a O365 new doc. Recommendations on where to find download would be greatly appreciated.
sky.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 08:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

@cha0s=I've had similar issues with opening video files, PDFs, word docs, etc. I've tried a few times to use your workaround, and have had no luck. When I try to open internalz, I get an error message that says "Service does not exist: ca.canucksoftware.filemgr." Any idea what this means and how to remedy it?
bayoubengal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky.rider View Post
I have downloaded Chrome and Firefox for Touchpad WebOS and get MIME error. Are there plugin that I can load to resolve this problem. I get the same error when trying to open a O365 new doc. Recommendations on where to find download would be greatly appreciated.
There is no Chrome or Firefox for webOS, so you will not be successful in this venture regardless.
Liked by cgonzalo likes this.
Old 09/03/2011, 01:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal85 View Post
@cha0s=I've had similar issues with opening video files, PDFs, word docs, etc. I've tried a few times to use your workaround, and have had no luck. When I try to open internalz, I get an error message that says "Service does not exist: ca.canucksoftware.filemgr." Any idea what this means and how to remedy it?
Are you fully updated? webOS, Quick Office, and Adobe?
Liked by motaiz and besstifer like this.
Old 09/03/2011, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

MIME errors only with .ipk's as well(and the odd patch, but that's only for patches not in Preware).
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by motaiz likes this.
Old 09/05/2011, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

the file types I'm having trouble with are midi's, which after some extensive searching, seem to be incompatible. Am I correct in this assumption?

ETA webOS is up to date, adobe is version 10.3.351, quick office version 2.1.1905

Last edited by bayoubengal85; 09/05/2011 at 12:28 AM.
bayoubengal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cjf243 and motaiz like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0