Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tony loon View Post
    hello. Did you get my reply? I am trying to download PDF and epub books. When I download PDF sent via email it works. When logged into library site - any PDF or epub bookshelf mime error. I have tried several different formats - same result. Thanks
    See the suggestion below. A couple problems you are probably having is that the stuff from the library is DRMd (at least the stuff I have gotten my wife on her Nook is). I am not a big book reader so I haven't really done more than setup the kindle app, the 1 book I want from Amazon is kindle fire only, thus amazon won't recognize my TP app.

The other possibility if the items are not DRM'd, is that you are getting the error because you are trying to open in browser. Once the item is downloaded, you would need to use some kind of file manager like Internalz or Gemini to navigate to the downloads folder and open the item. I have done this with PDF's downloaded directly to the device with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
    Did you try downloading your library ebooks using Kindle? It works on my Touchpad.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Please explain to us exactly what you are doing when you get the "error".
    hello I have not tried using kindle. Will try 18feb. Also - have 2 email ids. When download PDF in email1 can open file. When have SAME PDF sent to email2 can't down load file.
    1 what app do I need loaded to change the .ext
    2 insurers a download for webOS basics I should get?

thx
    are both e-mails setup the same way? What type of e-mail accounts are they? exchange, gmail, hotmail, etc?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Got the same "cannot open MIME type" error when trying to open some pdf files (downloaded from web or in email attachments). Very frustrating...something like this should be high on the list to be fixed in the updates. Glad I bought this thing for only $99 or I'll be steaming mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    Got the same "cannot open MIME type" error when trying to open some pdf files (downloaded from web or in email attachments). Very frustrating...something like this should be high on the list to be fixed in the updates. Glad I bought this thing for only $99 or I'll be steaming mad.
    What are you using to try and open the file? If you are using the browser, the problem is you are using the wrong application to open a PDF.
    What are you using to try and open the file? If you are using the browser, the problem is you are using the wrong application to open a PDF.
    On the stock browser, I clicked on the pdf link. It then brought me to another window where it downloads the pdf file. I then click it to open and the error pops up. I did nothing out of the ordinary...just like I would with browsers on any other platform where I had no problem. I'm no hacker, no programer, no geek...just a regular educated user. I don't want to go to numerous steps/applications to achieve something that should be a simple click and open....the way a tablet should work. It's ridiculous!
    Last edited by slingster; 03/01/2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Not all PDF's are created equally. For instance, PDF's marked for "Fast Web Viewing" are not supported on the device. There is also a bug that sometimes occurs when downloading behind secure sights (e.g. you need to log in to download the file), that will not actually download the file. So when downloading a PDF it changes the file extension to .aspx which causes the device to fail when trying to open the PDF.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Hi!

Hopefully somebody can help me with a question that has been puzzling me for a while. I have a 16gb Touchpad that works like a charm. So much, that I gifted a 32gb one to my brother.

The problem is that my brother has never ever been able to open Word or PDF attachments with his (I am talking about plain attachments that he gets through the email application). Every time he tries, he gets the MIME error.

I told him to forward me one of those emails, and my Touchpad opened the attached Word document without a problem. To make things even trickier, my brother is in Europe, so I don't have access to his device.

Any thoughts? Could it be somehow related to the WIFI network? Some sort of firewall? I see that many people are having that problem when downloading from safe https websites.

Thanks much!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Not all PDF's are created equally. For instance, PDF's marked for "Fast Web Viewing" are not supported on the device. There is also a bug that sometimes occurs when downloading behind secure sights (e.g. you need to log in to download the file), that will not actually download the file. So when downloading a PDF it changes the file extension to .aspx which causes the device to fail when trying to open the PDF.
    It's just puzzling to me why this doesn't get any attention from HP WebOS support. These functions are not minor things that affect only a few users. Normal, everyday use of computers, tablets, and smartphones leads people to require these things to work.
    Why won't HP fix these issues?
    I have the Mime problem also. Trying to update TP drivers.
    Guess you have to be a computer Garu to fix TP problems. I am not one.
    Can you explain more of what exactly you are trying to do Crossville?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Can you explain more of what exactly you are trying to do Crossville?
    I found some driver updates for the TP. So as to be able to run different programs. All were PDF files. Could not open any of them. When I tried. Error could not run Mime.
    Driver updates....I've never heard of them. Different versions of webOS, but never a "driver update" per se.
    if it is a .PDF file, and downloaded to your device, you should be able to open them up with QuickOffice. A PDF file is usually a text document...not something to be applied to update a file/program etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There is also a bug that sometimes occurs when downloading behind secure sights (e.g. you need to log in to download the file)
    I haven't checked into these threads in a while, because I've feared that it might never get fixed. Is there any update to this? There is another thread on DLing from secure sites, but I've never gotten that patch to work. My home server requires a login to use, so I've not been able to DL anything from it, which is a pain.
    You trying to install quick install?

I can't think of any .jar files you should be downloading and attempting to run on the TP. Guessing you are trying to install homebrew, so you need to do that via your computer if you are trying to run webos quick install.
    Sr, I can't install any .jar success, show me plz
    I go on my laptop and send myself the PowerPoint and documents I need through gmail and it opens through google docs just fine on my HP touchpad...guess you can't download anything from the source website
    I bought an HP touchpad running webOS won't let me open things I've downloaded keep getting mime errors is there a fix for it and can you change the operating system settings
    I have a solution for this problem.. :-)
    koukourou likes this.
    OK...I am NOT a computer "GEEK" so to speak....I am so willing to work and try and figure it all out tho. I am asking someone to help me get android on my HP Touch Pad. I don't have Java on my Tablet. I try to download I I get the MIME error. Someone said Don't download "quick install" to the Tablet but do it to the PC and use a USB cable and plug the tablet into the PC...then what how do I get it onto the tablet.....please don't shake your heads at me....I really am trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattyandrews View Post
    OK...I am NOT a computer "GEEK" so to speak....I am so willing to work and try and figure it all out tho. I am asking someone to help me get android on my HP Touch Pad. I don't have Java on my Tablet. I try to download I I get the MIME error. Someone said Don't download "quick install" to the Tablet but do it to the PC and use a USB cable and plug the tablet into the PC...then what how do I get it onto the tablet.....please don't shake your heads at me....I really am trying.
    Hi Patty,

This is the wrong thread for that discussion. Please take a look at our Android on webOS forum. There are step-by-step instructions at the top, and you can ask questions in there if you get stuck.

There is also an step-by-step instruction guide in a front page article: http://www.webosnation.com/how-insta...-your-touchpad
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast