Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    just tried to open a .epub document that I uploaded to Box.net and I get the "cannot open MIME type message"

EDIT: downloaded pReader ... guess I'll use that application to view (after changing encoding)
    Last edited by musick; 09/05/2011 at 07:17 PM.
    I'm trying to download unicorns and double rainbows. Why won't thiĄŁ~§ thing work?! Where can plug in my atari 2600 cartridges?
    Double rainbow all the way!

fyi you get that message downloading .ipks from email, and it's a new thing. (Previously downloaded .ipks no problem)
    cjf243 likes this.
    Make sure you sync your Adobe accounts on the Adobe app. The TP will then search for PDF's within the accounts you set up as well as the PDF's that are downloaded to your TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s View Post
    When ever the TP shows the unable to open mime error, it actually downloads the file to the device but can not open it due to not having a specific file handler associated with it.

A work around is to use the app Internalz from preware, find the file in the downloads directory and rename the file "attachment.asp" to its appropriate name and extension and open it from within that app.
    I can't see any files with that or any other name in the ownload dir that could be related. There are a couple of download.php files, but all of those contain the text. "Not Authorized !"

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    MIME errors only with .ipk's as well(and the odd patch, but that's only for patches not in Preware).
    Not so.. Many other filetypes fail. The OP's issue is improper use, but my issue is files that don't download like many PDF/PPTs.

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubengal85 View Post
    the file types I'm having trouble with are midi's, which after some extensive searching, seem to be incompatible. Am I correct in this assumption?

ETA webOS is up to date, adobe is version 10.3.351, quick office version 2.1.1905
    There is a problem with the browser, and it's not just a matter of updates. I have all the latest updates and it's still NG for many files.

Thanks
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I can't see any files with that or any other name in the ownload dir that could be related. There are a couple of download.php files, but all of those contain the text. "Not Authorized !"

Not so.. Many other filetypes fail. The OP's issue is improper use, but my issue is files that don't download like many PDF/PPTs.

There is a problem with the browser, and it's not just a matter of updates. I have all the latest updates and it's still NG for many files.

Thanks
    From what I can surmise by reading through several threads about this issue is that the browser wont download files from a secure website (https instead of http).

If the site you use can be used without https in the URL, give that a try as temp work-around but we should all contact HP about this issue because it is a massive oversight.
    I am, therefore I think
    not only ipks I've gotten that with AVI downloads n had to use internalz pro to open it
    fyi you get that message downloading .ipks from email, and it's a new thing. (Previously downloaded .ipks no problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I was simply stating my case, not arguing anyone else's circumstances
    i am facing this same issue - tried to open a jpg attachment in my yahoo mail, it would show the download and then when i tired to open it got the mime error message.

please if someone can post a working solution to this for us non-techie types this will help us decide on whether to keep the touchpad or no. Not able to open up a simple attachment image is a big big bummer !

i already tried internalz and it does not work, still get the Mime error. I even have preware installed, anyone have a solution app via preware ?
    I'm getting the mime error also when downloading docx files from gmail. Renaming the file with internalz does not seem to work.
    I've sort of figured out a solution to this problem. When the browser downloads a file it often incorrectly saves the extensions. For instance, pdf files are not saved *.pdf, they're saved by some other extension. To open these files, I downloaded InternalizeHD from Preware and then went into my downloads folder and renamed the files with their appropriate extensions and that worked.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Are you fully updated? webOS, Quick Office, and Adobe?
    yes yes if everyone would do this it works
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    I am up to date. 3.0.4, and everything else. What was being downloaded was an HTML file that did not have an extension, and so it didn't know what to do with it. Bad that the browser can't deal with extension less HTML files... as my partner said, Apple can :-o
    I had the same PDF problem.

I opened QuickOffice then was abled to open my recently downloaded PDF. Also, opening from broswer works again.

Looks like opening QuickOffice updated the MIME types.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrag View Post
    I had the same PDF problem.

I opened QuickOffice then was abled to open my recently downloaded PDF. Also, opening from broswer works again.

Looks like opening QuickOffice updated the MIME types.
    I download from email--a secure site and still got attachments without the appropriate extensions. Just added the extensions in my file manager (Gemini) and then opened them in QuickOffice--very easy to do.
    I just downloaded Preader native from the sourceforge link in the preader thread, and got the same error when trying to install it from the download pane.

When I navigated to the download directory with Internalz Pro, the file had the correct .ipk extension, and installed correctly from Internalz.

Based on this, it looks to me like the problem is with the browser. It's another frustrating aspect, especially after using the browser on my wife's iPad. The browser is a pretty basic part of the Touchpad experience, and people with no skillz for tech tweaking would get turned off pretty quickly, I'd think.
    the touchpad has known Issues with secured downloads... We had a patch but 3.0.4 broke it... Desperately looking for an update there. :/
    The patches that I've seen are mainly to fix DLing PDFs from secured sites (and as the above said, it's broke now anyway) but here's what I've been trying to do: I have a media server that i can stream music and videos from, but sometimes the connection is too slow. I have the option in my setup to download the MP3 or video file to play locally, but the TP also throws a MIME error with media files.

Is there anyway to DL music/videos from a link to internal storage?
    danow383 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by W3idbrewer View Post
    The patches that I've seen are mainly to fix DLing PDFs from secured sites (and as the above said, it's broke now anyway) but here's what I've been trying to do: I have a media server that i can stream music and videos from, but sometimes the connection is too slow. I have the option in my setup to download the MP3 or video file to play locally, but the TP also throws a MIME error with media files.

Is there anyway to DL music/videos from a link to internal storage?
    Hmm, you might give this app a try...

Check out Download That!: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...cationid=10878

--John
    Sadly, no.

I still get a "login.view:jsessionid" message and then the mime one...I suspect that's gotta be similar to the PDF-from-a-secure-source thing, right? Drat - from what I've been reading today, that doesn't work in the current version of the OS, right?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast