Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am hoping some people more experienced with WebOS can help me with my problem;

I was following the guide here by downloading webos doctor to upgrade the pad to v3.0.2. During the upgrade the pad started to hang at 12%, i thought nothing of it and let it run. However 45 minutes later it was still at 12%. I decided to unplug it and then plug it back it. Seems this was a big mistake and i am now unable to boot up the tab, not even the home button lights up when plugging in the charger.

So i took to the internet and tried to troubleshoot (incluing the threads on here)

-Various button combinations (home+power, Volume-up+home+power, power/volume-up+tap home 20 times etc)
    -Trying to get WebOS doctor to recognise the Touchpad
    -Downloading SDKs and emulators (this is where it got beyond me)

I've also tried different power outlets/usb leads/touchstone/plugs to see if it is a charging issue, but i think it does have enough power.

The only sign that the device is alive is that when i plug it into the usb port on the laptop it does seem to attempt to install palm drivers but fails. If i then go into the device manager I can see a PALM device under unspecified. If i try the Home+Power reset combo it does make the USB disconnect sound and then the re-connection sound. So something is alive in there.

I've contacted HP support and they seemed to think that the partial firmware update corrupted something. They have recommended that i should take it back for an exchange, but as i am sure you all know there arn't any in stock anymore. I could send it back to HP to repair or replace but i have a long holiday in 4 days and their turn around is 7-10days.

Is there anything more advanced that I could try to fix this, i only used the pad for about 30 minutes before this happened and i liked what i saw. I hope i havent got the first bricked touchpad
    Have you tried holding power+home (for like 15 seconds) to fully turn it off while unplugged? Because if you're still plugged in it's not gonna fully power off.
    I've had this happen on one of my phones. I just started the webOS doctor process over again.

This wiki from webOS internals gives more information about what is happening at the various stages of the doctor process:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    what OS are you using?

I had this problem on my Pre- with my XP netbook when trying to doctor. It was a matter of re-installing the SDK. It recognizes the device afterwards. Try using different USB ports also.
  5.    #5  
    Hi,
    I only bought it yesterday.
    bevcraw
    I've tried to follow the wiki but have fell at the first hurdle i can't get WebOS doctor to run in command line mode. I keep getting an error message saying that the java file is invalid or corrupt.
    I am typing in the following in cmd box;
    java -jar C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\5\733dec85-1b324c24

Does this look right? if it is what is the right file name?

MrJspeed
    The Touchpad came with V3.0.0
    I've tried different usb ports on three different machines and nothing happens. I've left it connect for at least 30 minutes each time.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I thought the only why to brick a Touchpad was to port Android to it!

I remember seeing a post about what to do if the web doctor hangs.

Good luck!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Have you tried holding power+home (for like 15 seconds) to fully turn it off while unplugged? Because if you're still plugged in it's not gonna fully power off.
    Yup tried it with nothing plugged in and still the same.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Try plugging it into the wall outlet. Then attempt to force it into USB mode with the power, volume, center.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    Try plugging it into the wall outlet. Then attempt to force it into USB mode with the power, volume, center.
    One of the first things i tried, nothing happens and the charge light doesn't come on.

Quick question from reading the wiki it says that you need to get the touchpad into recovery mode for WebOS doctor to recognise it, if i can't even get that far will it WebOS doctor be of any use?
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    If you can't get it into recovery, it could be a hardware failure. How charged was the device before this happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakos12 View Post
    I am typing in the following in cmd box;
    java -jar C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\5\733dec85-1b324c24
    That should be the path to the doctor, if I were you I could put the doctor in a simple directory like c:\webos\*filename*

replace *filename* with the doctors file name. Your directory structure could be leading to all kinds of possible typos.

I would also suggest deleting the dr file you have and redownloading. Possible your download is corrupt/incomplete. That is my starting advice, shorten that directory structure and redownload. Also didn't see you mention, is your Java up to date?

Also remember, if it has a low charge like you mentioned, the USB ports do not have enough power to quickly charge it, so you may want to leave it plugged into a wall outlet for a while.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    If you can't get it into recovery, it could be a hardware failure. How charged was the device before this happened?
    When i first ran WebOS Doctor i had a charge of 76%, it is looking like a hardware fault but i am not sure how as the device was running fine up until i tried this. And i had already charged it from 24% with no issues and downloaded a few apps.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That should be the path to the doctor, if I were you I could put the doctor in a simple directory like c:\webos\*filename*

replace *filename* with the doctors file name. Your directory structure could be leading to all kinds of possible typos.
    Ok i will try and move it, but can you confirm that the file name is 733dec85-674b1b9b as this does not have a jar extension which is weird.

I would also suggest deleting the dr file you have and redownloading. Possible your download is corrupt/incomplete. That is my starting advice, shorten that directory structure and redownload. Also didn't see you mention, is your Java up to date?
    I have the latest version of Java V6 Update 26

Also remember, if it has a low charge like you mentioned, the USB ports do not have enough power to quickly charge it, so you may want to leave it plugged into a wall outlet for a while.
    I've already left it on over night, but if the home button light isnt coming on could that mean that it's not charging at all?

BTW I just want to thank you guys for your responses so far, its good that WebOS has such a helpful community.
    Honestly I have never charged my TouchPad via wall outlet, so I don't know that the light comes on. In previous WebOS devices it does not light up to indicate charging, the only charging indicator is the icon.

The webOS Dr I am getting starts with "webosdoctorp302...." (file name keeps going) .jnlp file extension. I am on a work computer so I cannot actually download or do any further testing for you.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Getting into recovery mode is the big thing here. If that can be accomplished you should be good. Oldskool is correct about the doctor, you should download it. It is very possible yours is corrupted.

Is the TP doing anything?
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    You could try something else. I have no idea if it will work on the to, but it does for the Pre. Being the battery can't be removed in this case, try holding the "power and up volume" then (while holding buttons) plug it into the wall.
  17.    #17  
    Tried running webos dr in cmd line but i get the following message;
    Unable to access jarfile c:\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi
    I've tried with the ext .jnlp and the same thing happens.

EDIT: just tried java -jar webosdoctorp300hstnhwifi.jar and the cmd line window's opened now.

The only signs of life from the TP is when i plug it into a windows PC and windows attempts to install Palm drivers but fails. If i do the power and home button combo i can hear it disconnect from windows after 20 seconds and then reconnect. And thats about it, no other signs of life.

i've download the doctor from both HP and the wiki site links and no difference.
  18.    #18  
    INFO: got devices 0

Is all i am getting from the cmd line. So am i screwed then?
    At this point you are outside of my realm, I would say if the device worked before trying to dr to 3.0.2 then you do not have a bricked device and most likely need someone with a lil more experience to assist.

I have only ever seen 1 webOS device truly bricked and you didn't do what Rod was doing. There is always the possibility of "bricking" by hardware failure, but it is an odd coincidence that you would have a hardware failure at the moment you were doctoring.

Is there a reason why you were trying to doctor the update and not do an OTA update?

Since you said you had used it for 30 minutes, I am guessing you had gone through all the first use and logging in with a palm profile before doctoring...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    At this point you are outside of my realm, I would say if the device worked before trying to dr to 3.0.2 then you do not have a bricked device and most likely need someone with a lil more experience to assist.

I have only ever seen 1 webOS device truly bricked and you didn't do what Rod was doing. There is always the possibility of "bricking" by hardware failure, but it is an odd coincidence that you would have a hardware failure at the moment you were doctoring.

Is there a reason why you were trying to doctor the update and not do an OTA update?

Since you said you had used it for 30 minutes, I am guessing you had gone through all the first use and logging in with a palm profile before doctoring...
    Hi there,
    I was using the doctor method as i was at work and couldnt get on the wifi network so i tethered the pad to my phone. This was way too slow so i followed the guide on here about downloading webos dr onto my work laptop and attempting the update that way.

I am starting to think something had died hardware wise, where i am sure the charger would normally warm up i am not getting any heat output at all. And i've tried a combination of usb cables and wall plugs (i have two one that came with the touchpad and one that came with the touchstone).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast