View Poll Results: Of those who initially said they wouldn't buy one, who changed their mind and got one

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Said I wouldn't, and I didn't!

4 6.56%
  • Yeah, I caved and got one.

57 93.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Remember shortly after HP acquired Palm and announced a tablet in the works?

I do. And I also remember several, no, quite a few members here saying that they just didn't see the point in having such a device, and that they'd never buy one.

I just thought it'd be interesting to know of those who initially poopoo'd the idea of a WebOS tablet, how many of you have reversed your decision and now actually have a TouchPad?
    I'll admit, I had absolutely nothing positive to say about the Touchpad (and tablets in general), and my original complaints about it are still true, but I did order more than one at the fire sale prices.

However, my primary complaint with tablets in general has ALWAYS been the pricing. At $500 or more, I absolutely cannot justify paying for a device with such limited capabilities. But at $100 or $150, the equation is reversed, and instead I will be looking for new and fun things to do with my new toy.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Couldn't justify $400+. I still think I might be better off with a netbook for that price. For $150? Easy to justify.
    one of my apple nuthugger friends did

he said "tablets are stupid, I have no use for one"

now he owns a touchpad lol
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  5.    #5  
    Gotta echo that Syndil.

I, for one, would STILL be TouchPad-less were it not for the price-drop. I didn't need it coming all the way down to $150 for the 32GB, but that doesn't hurt either. I would have jumped at the $300 16GB version that Staples was selling a couple weeks back - but I didn't find out about it until the day after.
    I have always liked webOS. I used to be the main influence for cell phone decisions at the world headquarters of a global company, and I always did my homework when it came to new phone tech. I decided against android because our users were older, and in my opinion android is a little tougher to use than most OS, especially when it first came out. At the time the Pre was only on Sprint, and I hated sprint because their service was horrible on most areas, but I really liked the operating system. I decided on iOS because it had a fisher price feel to it and a lot of our older salesmen would appreciate the large icons and ease of use, as well as the same experience across all carriers. Androids are a dime a dozen, they come preloaded with crapware and every phone is different in how you set things up, which would be a support nightmare in a business, especially when you have 55+ year olds working them who can barely turn on a computer.

Once the Pre was available on all carriers, there was a question of Palms future, so I held off on it. Turns out I was right and never really looked at webOS devices again. I would have bought a Pre for personal use but I was worried about the lack of apps. I saw the touchpad in a Best Buy display, it was a cool interface but it was definately slower than my iPad 2 and lacked the developer support, but because it was the SAME PRICE as something that was (in my mind) so much cooler (iPad2) I never even thought about getting one.
    In the back of my mind I always hoped they would get the developer support they deserved. At $150, it is a steal. WebOS is great and since so many people have it and it is cheap enough to not care if I brick it through mods, I am looking forward to what the homebrew community has to offer. I definately won't be flashing it to Android though. WebOS is so much better!
    I had to, for $150 it's hard to say no. I was eyeing the iPad 2 for a long time, but it just wasn't worth the premium.
  8. DS3
    I never said I wouldn't.. but I have an iPad 2 (that I have completely maxed out functionally with a ton of great apps, jailbreak tweaks and camera connection kit) that I love so initially was just going to buy one for a tablet-less family member.

Then I caved and bought one for myself as just an extra device and backup. Having fun with it!
    Tablet hater here who bought a tablet...
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Tablet hater here who bought a tablet...
    What happened to your signature? LMFAO!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have an iPad 2 so I really never planned on buying a Touchpad. Got to work Monday and read about the firesale and spent most of the morning trying to secure one. Finally had an order accepted at PCConnection and my 32GB Touchpad was delivered yesterday. I just couldn't pass up it up at $150.
    where is the "always wanted one but couldn't afford it or justify it" option?
    whyme953 and ilm like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    What happened to your signature? LMFAO!
    There, I fixed it. :P
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    To me tablets were just an expensive to, mind you an expensive toy that I really wanted. So the fire sale gave me the excuse to get one.
    well I was waiting for the "4G" and the 7" ones also the 64GB one, wanted to compare before picking one, the decision was made for me
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    better yet, who bought one, returned it, and now wants it back?!?!!?
    I said I wouldn't but I did because its a "palm product". Its ok, girlfriend took it away, I can take it or leave it.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I was going to get a Touchpad anyway but I wanted the Pre3 first
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    I was going to get a Touchpad anyway but I wanted the Pre3 first

I didn't really have a *need* for a tablet. Even after playing with it I still think its a very cool gizmo but will by no means replace my laptop or desktop. Its fun to show off though

However, I really *need* a smartphone. And my launch day pre- is still hanging in there but it has seen better days. So, the tablet has basically reminded me how badly I want an updated webos phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    I didn't really have a *need* for a tablet. Even after playing with it I still think its a very cool gizmo but will by no means replace my laptop or desktop. Its fun to show off though

However, I really *need* a smartphone. And my launch day pre- is still hanging in there but it has seen better days. So, the tablet has basically reminded me how badly I want an updated webos phone.
    My thoughts exactly.
    It's a cool toy that I would love to have but couldn't afford / justify before the fire sale.
    OTOH I really need a new phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast