Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    I expect HP will send out the email and within seconds their servers will slow to a crawl. Anyone who isn't checking thier email in front of a computer every 30 seconds will miss out.
    This thing got huge. The lines and people camping out at Best Buy are crazy. Let them have 'em, they have more dedication (or less employment) than I do.
    I'll just listen for my android device to sound off, check my gmail instantly, then go to the bookmarked page in my phone browser and hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I kinda agree with on or two per person. Why? Well for one, I was out at 8 in the morning saterday and found none. We were out all morning but we got beat every time, most places said people bought in dozens and those are all over eBay. We wanted them because we like Webos. So it's frustrating. Im a dev and I don't have one, many more devs, including those in webosinternals and even HP employees who wanted some don't have them. Some people can spend more, others of us have a limited budget and cant drive at for in the morning. Should the people there be penalized? No but buying 20 touchpads to go ip off others and deny those who really wanted it and had a chance to get it is kind of unfair IMHO. Ya I know it's not reality, but since people have proven they are not fair, it's nice that HP is at least going to try and make sure those who really want it have a chance, then the auctioneers can have at it. People looking for deals will still jump on it, but the webos users will have them which is who you want to have them. If you want to get it for family believe me there are ways, I will be getting my brother one and will have to be creative
    Just go ahead and buy one off CL for $200. When you factor in all the gas you spent driving around, the time, the energy, the stress, and the frustration and disappointment, maybe paying up a little more now can put an end to this. Then you can develop apps and make a cool million ;-)
    StompAWOT and arcticrobot like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    If that store doesn't get any additional stock then so be it, but it's absurd to send people driving all over town without providing any hint of when or where stock may come in (even going so far as to claim ignorance when they do have information). Best Buy's current policy leads to agitated employees fielding never ending calls with absolutely no options to give customers.
    That's kind of the idea. If you knew if/when/where they were going to get them, you wouldn't spend as much time hangin' around the Best Buys. The employees are annoyed by it, but corporate is loving it. More hysteria means more free advertising from news coverage, and it means more people in the stores with the potential to buy other things while they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    Bad news: just got off the phone from HP and they said this is IT. No more Touchpads! The only chance you have is to visit your local store and "maybe" they might get a shipment.
    To be fair, you just got off the phone with a call center rep. At this point, they really don't have any more info than anyone else. When/if/how many are all speculation at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    Take it for what it's worth but I just got off the phone with HP via the number 1.800.790.6947 and was told that they are "making new touchpads" and they will be sold for the firesale price. anyone signed up for the email notification will be notified all at once, so if you signed up early, you won't get an earlier notification.

In other words, they aren't simply relying on retailers shipping things back, they will be "making new touchpads." they also told me it will be limited to one per person period (not one model per person) and that HP's goal is to let everyone that wants a touchpad for the firesale price to get one and they think that is possible.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but that's what they're saying today.

EDIT:

They also told me it may take another full week for the notifications to go out, so be patient. I wish they would release this as a press release, it would knock down the price these things are getting on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    Bad news: just got off the phone from HP and they said this is IT. No more Touchpads! The only chance you have is to visit your local store and "maybe" they might get a shipment.
    So, which rep do I believe. The one that says they're building more (even though the economic sense of that is questionable) or the one that says they are gone forever (despite the fact that HP reps on twitter said there would be no more info today on if and when they would be released).

The suspense of it all!
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjargon View Post
    I'll just listen for my android device to sound off, check my gmail instantly, then go to the bookmarked page in my phone browser and hope for the best.
    Crud, my brilliant plan has been leaked!
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    So, which rep do I believe. The one that says they're building more (even though the economic sense of that is questionable) or the one that says they are gone forever (despite the fact that HP reps on twitter said there would be no more info today on if and when they would be released).

The suspense of it all!
    Both. The first one probably misunderstood information that more were on their way from China, and the second one is probably right about the "maybe" part since nobody seems to know much about how many are even coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAlmostPopular View Post
    Both. The first one probably misunderstood information that more were on their way from China, and the second one is probably right about the "maybe" part since nobody seems to know much about how many are even coming.
    .......or neither. Which works out to the same conclusion. The customer service reps taking these calls have no clue at this point what the status is. Not their fault, but it sounds like they're reduced to office rumors for info.

Had a last thought. Maybe they've just hit the breaking point at the 1,000th call of the day for Touchpad information they don't have and are just screwing with people.
    It's only a jungle when the people act like animals.

Don't want 10 or 2, just want 1 for my mother who isn't in a position to deal with this insanity at her age.

I'm not self righteous, or above making a buck when I can, but I also have to look at myself in the mirror. Because of the server glitches last weekend I ended up with 2 orders for the Pre 2. I called and cancelled the second one because I wanted someone else to have a chance at a great deal.

Just me I guess.
    Seriously, you couldn't sell a TP for a profit and look at yourself in the mirror? No, you're not self righteous, but that skin is pretty thin. You aren't keeping food from a starving mouth, it's a tablet computer for God's sake. Nobody is dying without them. We lived just fine up until 2 months ago without the TouchPad, I think humanity would endure even if one person just horded all of them. Call it a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    well... I say it's good to be you then! Thank you for thinking of the needs and/or wants of others. That's good of you.
    LOL.

The suspense of it all!
    Neither, they are both making things up.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjargon View Post
    I would've done that, except I just returned my crusty Motorola photon so I can frankenpre a pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Seriously, you couldn't sell a TP for a profit and look at yourself in the mirror? No, you're not self righteous, but that skin is pretty thin. You aren't keeping food from a starving mouth, it's a tablet computer for God's sake. Nobody is dying without them. We lived just fine up until 2 months ago without the TouchPad, I think humanity would endure even if one person just horded all of them. Call it a hunch.

Living with myself is a cumulative thing. To me the little things add up. Not equating this in any way to an earth shattering event. Just p****s me off when too many people take advantage of a situation for their own greed. I doubt that multiple device buyers are feeding their own starving families with $100-$200 profit they're trying to sell them for.

Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Neither, they are both making things up.
    Which was the point I was making and explained in a later post.

You seem to take my posts way more seriously than I intend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    I expect HP will send out the email and within seconds their servers will slow to a crawl. Anyone who isn't checking thier email in front of a computer every 30 seconds will miss out.
    This thing got huge. The lines and people camping out at Best Buy are crazy. Let them have 'em, they have more dedication (or less employment) than I do.
    I bet the email notification servers crash and about 2/3rds or more of the people on that list dont get the email If i was someone still looking for a TP I would be constantly checking the HP site instead of relying on an email.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    If i was someone still looking for a TP I would be constantly checking the HP site instead of relying on an email.
    We need an app that does that.
    alfaverde and treodoc755 like this.
    According to MicroCenter's and PCRichards' sites some stuff is "Coming Soon'', I hope it's not coming on weekend, cos I'll be outta coversge. Need someone to buy one for me, I think, ready to pay extra)
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also please tell me the touchpads autocorrect is better then an iPad? I'll be so happy to sell this dang thing finally lol
    it definitely is better - even gives you the chance to change back to what you originally typed before you send as all auto-corrected words are underlined with a dotted line.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    People on SLick deals are up right now to see if the 12 am PST and 3 AM EST

HP goes live? I dunno 4 minutes to go so I'm up
    I am sorry if some cannot catch a firesalel TP. I have gotten a few but not mass quantities and I have been talking up the benefits of WebOS. I want it to to be successful since I have two devices designed to run it. Lets not forget that there's a lot of folks who only want it to put hemroid on it. Do you really think people weren't going to do this? Again I'm sorry if some can't find them, maybe I've just been lucky but this is low hanging fruit on the easy money tree and brother I got bills to pay.
  17. d0c
    here's what i'm trying. who knows if it will work, but i figured someone else may benefit from the info:

obviously, i signed up for the email notification from HP. i have my email program open. any incoming mail gets checked immediately, usually by my secretary.

i am following Bryna Corcoran and Mark Budgell on twitter. they work for HP and, based on their tweets, they will have the 1st info on the release of more TPs.

i already have an account @ HP, and i am logged into it. you should make an account, if you don't already have one so check-out will be a little easier and, more importantly, faster.

now, here is the HP page that i am refreshing. it shows both the 16 and 32GB on the same page. hopefully the "out of stock" will change to "add to cart" soon.

obviously the key is being able to get back to the computer in a timely fashion, but having a strategy gives me the sense that i'm not merely leaving it up to luck.

if anyone has anything better, don't hold back. we are a small minority of the people who are looking for these. the rest wouldn't know webOS if it bit them in the *****.

w0rd
    The German HP site explicitly says that there will be no second wave.
    Doesn't have to apply to other markets of course.

And there are rumors that the remaining devices have been sold to a single large retailer (who then - I think - would sell above firesale prices - but considerably less than original retail - but this is just my guess).

Also the Pre3 was about to get launched in Germany. There must be a ton of those in a warehouse somewhere because not that many were available in HPs firesale (which is why hardly any show up on ebay).

Would be nice if HP simply would make an announcement. But by now I don't really expect much from HP. They seem confused themselves.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    I am sorry if some cannot catch a firesalel TP. I have gotten a few but not mass quantities and I have been talking up the benefits of WebOS. I want it to to be successful since I have two devices designed to run it. Lets not forget that there's a lot of folks who only want it to put hemroid on it. Do you really think people weren't going to do this? Again I'm sorry if some can't find them, maybe I've just been lucky but this is low hanging fruit on the easy money tree and brother I got bills to pay.
    I have a job to pay my bills. Thus the reason I can't wait in line for hours, drive from store to store all day searching, and sit at my computer refreshing every 30 sec.

Look, this isn't the end of days over this. There will always be opportunists and when civilization collapses I'll be the first guy to pull my arrow out of your back, loot your still warm corpse, and forget about you 5mins later, but until then I'm just trying to live the golden rule and not always succeeding.
  20. k1l
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The German HP site explicitly says that there will be no second wave.
    Doesn't have to apply to other markets of course.

And there are rumors that the remaining devices have been sold to a single large retailer (who then - I think - would sell above firesale prices - but considerably less than original retail - but this is just my guess).

Also the Pre3 was about to get launched in Germany. There must be a ton of those in a warehouse somewhere because not that many were available in HPs firesale (which is why hardly any show up on ebay).

Would be nice if HP simply would make an announcement. But by now I don't really expect much from HP. They seem confused themselves.
    i do wonder where all the pre 3 are, too.
    hp surely didnt expect that rush (kinda naive though) and is now confused with all the orders, mails and resellers asking what when to do to get one. but where are the devices?
    the firesale price were really like a dream for veer and pre 3.

the problem for the german version is ofcourse, that they have a qwertz keyboard. so they cannot use devices which are qwerty labled.
    i would like to have a veer for my girlfriend and a pre 3 for me, no matter if qwertz or qwerty
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast