Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
    Just as soon as I get used to the manual method.

Original method works and I have backups for recovery.

Any advantage using the change-user-agent?
    Advantages? It auto-backups and is significantly easier for less techie users... No need to use it if you already have stuff set up, although it may be worthwhile thanks to the easier uninstall process :-)
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Advantages? It auto-backups and is significantly easier for less techie users... No need to use it if you already have stuff set up, although it may be worthwhile thanks to the easier uninstall process :-)
    Heh, I'm not planning to uninstall it unless some super app comes out.

Eh I'm tired and realized too late the advantages of the quick-agent-install but I actually found your original method easier.

I heard you were playing with other UA. Is there no point looking into that? Thanks

Addon: What settings are you using for the your change-user-agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
    Heh, I'm not planning to uninstall it unless some super app comes out.

Eh I'm tired and realized too late the advantages of the quick-agent-install but I actually found your original method easier.

I heard you were playing with other UA. Is there no point looking into that? Thanks
    Well, this utilizes a UA change.

I'll fool around with spoofing ipad for anyone who might be interested in that as well - there are some ipad-specific websites that would be kinda cool to see on the touchpad.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I'm open to see it attempted ;p. Give it a shot.
    This is superfluous as you've already released your excellent user-agent change kit. However, I wanted to try the symbolic link idea.

I tested it and it works with symbolic links. I used the new UA string you provided and made a new file libWebKitLuna.so.hulu. Renamed the original one libWebKitLuna.so.orig.

Then I made a symbolic link called libWebKitLuna.so and pointed it at the .hulu version. I can view Hulu content now. When I switch the symbolic link, I have to reboot.

Next, I'm gonna write a simple script to switch the symbolic links so I don't have to type the big 'ln' command every time I want to switch. It'll be a simple one.

When you find an iPad UA that works, please post it so I can try that, too!

Thanks
    Last edited by jblather; 09/20/2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Okay, so I'm playing with the new Hulu 'fix', thinking there's GOT to be a way to get the system to reload the libWebKitLuna.so after it's been modified (ncinerate's method) or switched (my method) so that a reboot isn't necessary. So, I go hunting for it.

This is how to do it....

This is an advanced method, so you need to be familiar with using the Unix/Linux command line, 'ps' and 'kill'.

Start a terminal (with the Touchpad, you'll have to use Xecutah/Xserver/Xterm). Look for the BrowserServer process by sending it this command:

ps ax | grep BrowserServer

Send it a HUP. Look at the process number (pid) and send it a HUP signal to get it to restart/reload its libs:

kill -HUP <pid>

If you do another 'ps', you'll see that a new one starts and the old one dies(it gets a new PID). If you already have a browser window open, you'll see that it immediately does a refresh.

Now you don't have to reboot when you switch User Agents!!!!

I added this to my script when I change user agents.
    enki likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Okay, so I'm playing with the new Hulu 'fix', thinking there's GOT to be a way to get the system to reload the libWebKitLuna.so after it's been modified (ncinerate's method) or switched (my method) so that a reboot isn't necessary. So, I go hunting for it.

This is how to do it....

This is an advanced method, so you need to be familiar with using the Unix/Linux command line, 'ps' and 'kill'.

Start a terminal (with the Touchpad, you'll have to use Xecutah/Xserver/Xterm). Look for the BrowserServer process by sending it this command:

ps ax | grep BrowserServer

Send it a HUP. Look at the process number (pid) and send it a HUP signal to get it to restart/reload its libs:

kill -HUP <pid>

If you do another 'ps', you'll see that a new one starts and the old one dies(it gets a new PID). If you already have a browser window open, you'll see that it immediately does a refresh.

Now you don't have to reboot when you switch User Agents!!!!

I added this to my script when I change user agents.
    Nice find. So how do we automate this into a script (not require the user to find the pid)?

If you can figure out a way to make this happen with a few commands, we could pretty easily add it to the patch I posted instead of the device reboot command currently there. In fact, it might even be possible to incorporate it into something more complex, like the "private browsing" patch, having it kick on the HULU user agent when someone flips a switch in the dropdown context menu of the browser.

Let me know what you come up with - anything to make this process simpler/faster would be appreciated by many I am sure.

Thanks. This will be easy to add anywhere...

To find out the PID and send a HUP to the right process, use this three line script. The 'echo' can be taken out if the PID printed out isn't desired:

PID=`ps ax | grep "BrowserServer " | grep -v grep | awk '{ FS=" " }{ print $1 }'`
    echo pid is $PID
    kill -HUP $PID

[ For those of you doing this at home, best to copy and paste the above instead of typing it. There are little marks and spaces that need to be where they are.... ]

My script to change the UA and then HUP the BrowserServer is five lines.
  8. myt
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    To find out the PID and send a HUP to the right process, use this three line script. The 'echo' can be taken out if the PID printed out isn't desired:

PID=`ps ax | grep "BrowserServer " | grep -v grep | awk '{ FS=" " }{ print $1 }'`
    echo pid is $PID
    kill -HUP $PID
    This should be easier:
    Code:
    pkill -HUP BrowserServer$
    jblather likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Now if only we could somehow turn this into an app....
    I don't know about turning this into an app....last time this happened, Hulu was all over this and shut us down.
    I don't know about turning this into an app....last time this happened, Hulu was all over this and shut us down.
    I sortof agree on this one.

It's already a pretty easy to use patch, simple enough to install/uninstall. Any simpler and we'd probably get shut out again. I can think of a few ways hulu could shut the TP down that would be considerably harder to combat .

Better that we leave it as-is for now. Although, I admit, if I get an app up and running that performs this fix I'll probably release it anyway (even if only a limited fashion).

here's what I found for android as I was trolling for a solution:

$ su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop.bk
    # cat /system/build.prop | sed s/ro\.product\.model=[^\n\s]*/ro.product.model=DROID2/ | sed s/ro\.product\.model\.internal=[^\n\s]*/ro.product.model.internal=A955/ | sed s/ro\.product\.brand=[^\n\s]*/ro.product.brand=verizon/ | sed s/ro\.product\.name=[^\n\s]*/ro.product.name=droid2_vzw/ | sed s/ro\.product\.device=[^\n\s]*/ro.product.device=cdma_droid2/ > /system/tmp
    # cp /system/tmp /system/build.prop
    I installed 'hulu fix' from preware but I still get the 'not supported on your platform' message. Any ideas/suggestions?
    It worked for a while, but then Hulu found out and shut it down, using another method.

This other method is using the 'user agent' in the browser.

See post #473 of this thread. It also references another thread. Read that one, too.

So, no, there is no app that will patch the User Agent, too.
    Playon works great.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterjoy931 View Post
    Playon works great.
    Except PlayOn requires payment and when I tried it, the broadcast quality was not smooth at all... not even close to the quality I get directly streaming Hulu to touchpad. If you have money to give away, be my guest.

Just wondering if there has been a recent development in scripts to make switch easier... Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Switching is pretty easy now, just open xecutah xterm and run one command. Of course it bounces the touchpad, probably unavoidable. Is there way to run the command from a desktop icon? That's the only way I can think to make it any simpler. That would be cool if so, would open up some possibilities to run a script with a touch press.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Is it possible to set up a proxy that would give a different user agent?
    Here's an interesting one. I got a TP just five days ago. Used WOSQI to get to the command window. did the CD thing to BrowserServerPlugins... no libflashplayer.so file. Currently looking elsewhere for it. Anybody encounter that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaforce2002 View Post
    Here's an interesting one. I got a TP just five days ago. Used WOSQI to get to the command window. did the CD thing to BrowserServerPlugins... no libflashplayer.so file. Currently looking elsewhere for it. Anybody encounter that one?
    Your resurrecting an old thread - this method is outdated and no longer works (partly due to the reason you are mentioning).

There -IS- a hulu fix, and it's all wrapped up in a simple patch that can be installed or uninstalled with a single command, no reboot required.

It's here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html