Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
    As an update to my previous post, virtually anything you do to the first half of the user agent string will immediately break the app catalog, and the few things you -can- change without breaking it (like the last two pieces of the string) won't fix hulu.

So, after some pretty extensive testing I'd say there's no user agent string that will work with both hulu, and the app catalog.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    How hard would it be to create a simple app that replaces the user string in the file on demand. Or just have two versions of the file that it can swap back and forth? If you want to use the App Catalog, run the switcher app and chose default. If you want to run Hulu, run the app and switch to Hulu Mode.

I'm not a WebOS developer, but based on the fact that preware can edit the core filesystem (ie: it's not jailed inside of Luna), I don't think this would be a problem. I could write a script that did it in about 10 seconds, but it would obviously need a GUI front end for mass-use.
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    How hard would it be to create a simple app that replaces the user string in the file on demand. Or just have two versions of the file that it can swap back and forth? If you want to use the App Catalog, run the switcher app and chose default. If you want to run Hulu, run the app and switch to Hulu Mode.

I'm not a WebOS developer, but based on the fact that preware can edit the core filesystem (ie: it's not jailed inside of Luna), I don't think this would be a problem. I could write a script that did it in about 10 seconds, but it would obviously need a GUI front end for mass-use.
    I tried to make a toggle for this, but the issue is, once toggled it appears you have to reboot the entire touchpad for it to load the "updated" libWebKitLuna.so file. Luna reboot isn't sufficient. A toggle that would take over a minute and a full reboot to swap the hulu fix in and out is less than ideal... Even manual replacement of the entire file causes the same issue - the browser retains the old version until you reboot.

Maybe there's a command to unload and load the file - it's honestly been so long since I've done any programming that this is mostly greek to me . If there is a command to unload and load a .so file in linux, I don't know what it is offhand.

I can cut/paste with the best of em though, so, yeah.

Ideally, someone would perform a fix like this using a toggle like the private browser patch puts into the browser. You'd need the user agent string to update, and some way to unload and load the libWebKitLuna.so with the new user agent without crashing the browser or requiring a reboot...

I have the "details" ironed out. Perhaps you can take a look at the private browsing patch and suggest a way to utilize that as a base. I'm open to suggestions and willing to help ;p. I just finished watching a show on Hulu and obviously it'd be nice to open that up to everyone.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/19/2011 at 11:33 AM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    My email communication with Hulu:

Hulu's response:
    Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad, and I'm sorry about the frustration. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through the Touchpad (despite the workarounds that some folks have tried in the past).

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, and we'd love to stream to as many devices as we can, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Devin E.
    Hulu Support

My Reply:
    Thank for your reply. While I totally understand "contractual agreements" for content, its mind boggling that there would be one for devices. Isn't the whole point of content/ads/etc to reach as many people as possible? It seems like a backwards philosophy. The fact that Hulu allows themselves to be dictated to as to what devices can view their content is simply unacceptable and ridiculous and reeks of corporate influence. Nonetheless, I do appreciate your reply, but cancel my Hulu Plus account IMMEDIATELY! If that's something you can't do on your end, please provide me a link to do so, until such time Hulu gets their act together.
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'm with you arachnoman666,

Will cancel tonite.. Hardly use the service at all.. I can use the excuse for webos as well.
    If I wasn't stealing content with the help of torrents, I'd cancel my non existing Hulu account as well.
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Last night I tried Hulu and discovered the patch wasn't working. I couldn't get Syfy to play an episode on their site either. I searched for the (Warehouse 13) episode and found it on Dailymotion. Dailymotion made it seem that it was pulling the episode from Hulu but it played it anyway, complete with ads, just like Hulu.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I tried to make a toggle for this, but the issue is, once toggled it appears you have to reboot the entire touchpad for it to load the "updated" libWebKitLuna.so file. Luna reboot isn't sufficient. A toggle that would take over a minute and a full reboot to swap the hulu fix in and out is less than ideal... Even manual replacement of the entire file causes the same issue - the browser retains the old version until you reboot.

Maybe there's a command to unload and load the file - it's honestly been so long since I've done any programming that this is mostly greek to me . If there is a command to unload and load a .so file in linux, I don't know what it is offhand.

I can cut/paste with the best of em though, so, yeah.

Ideally, someone would perform a fix like this using a toggle like the private browser patch puts into the browser. You'd need the user agent string to update, and some way to unload and load the libWebKitLuna.so with the new user agent without crashing the browser or requiring a reboot...

I have the "details" ironed out. Perhaps you can take a look at the private browsing patch and suggest a way to utilize that as a base. I'm open to suggestions and willing to help ;p. I just finished watching a show on Hulu and obviously it'd be nice to open that up to everyone.
    Would you post a patch for those of us that can stand to wait for a reboot when we want to switch between hulu & appcat ability?
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    Would you post a patch for those of us that can stand to wait for a reboot when we want to switch between hulu & appcat ability?
    2nd this. I'm about to manual edit the UA but would love a patch so I can just use preware to install/uninstall.

I can stand the restart to change settings but having to connect to my comp to change settings going to be annoying.

Thanks

Has there been any luck getting video to run on Ubuntu/Debian running on the touchpad?

Not sure if I should start playing around with that instead of messing aroung with the UA. Stupid App catalog.
    Last edited by evilferret; 09/19/2011 at 06:46 PM.
    I agree a patch or just some detailed instructions that requires reboot is fine with me until a better solution is created.
    Quote Originally Posted by stewperr View Post
    I agree a patch or just some detailed instructions that requires reboot is fine with me until a better solution is created.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...perfectly.html

Still trying a way to figure a way to reset settings without having to connect to my desktop.
    As an update to my previous post, virtually anything you do to the first half of the user agent string will immediately break the app catalog, and the few things you -can- change without breaking it (like the last two pieces of the string) won't fix hulu.

So, after some pretty extensive testing I'd say there's no user agent string that will work with both hulu, and the app catalog.

I keep getting messages like operation inoperable. nothing i do is working. please write back a detailed way of how to fix this.. thanks
    EDIT: Ignore this post, I posted a better way to do this (including a patch file) a few posts down in this thread, or you can find the instructions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3165108

I'd do that, but damn if it wouldn't be a colossal pain for everyone...

You'd have to run a patch to get hulu working, then run a different patch to "fix" things. Reboots between each step.

Annoying.

I'm pretty certain this could be made workable without reboots or crazy patching. Like I said, maybe even incorporated into the private browser patch for example... Just need more info on how to unload/reload an edited .so file. A little net searching isn't turning up a good answer.

Meh.

In the meantime, here, how about I give you instructions on how to do it manually? You can manually swap in and out the file and a backup to fix it.

1: Yank libWebKitLuna.so out of the touchpad using webos quick install (it's in the /usr/lib directory).
    2: Make a backup of this file, so you can revert this change when you want to use the app catalog again.
    2: Open the file in HxD (or the hex editor of your choice, HxD happens to be free and easy to use)
    3: Select "search" from the top bar in HxD, and pick "replace"
    4: cut/paste this string into the "find" box:
    Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.40.1 Safari/534.6 %s/%s
    5: cut/paste this string into the "replace" box:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.40.1 Safari/535.2 01/07

Now hit ok and save the file (DONT OVERWRITE YOUR BACKUP).

Use webOS quick install to place this file back into the touchpad, replacing the original file in the /usr/lib directory.

There's probably easier ways to do it, but this'll at least give you a couple of files to swap in and out. Toss em both in the same directory. Name one libWebKitLuna.hulu and the other libWebKitLuna.app then swap them in and out for the libWebKitLuna.so file at will:

For example, to swap in the Hulu enabled file:

Terminal in with webos quick install
    cd /usr/lib
    rm libWebKitLuna.so
    cp libWebKitLuna.hulu libWebKitLuna.so

Reboot the pad.

Done.

And if you don't understand everything I just typed, please don't do this. You can wind up screwing up a critical file and require a visit to the webos doctor...
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/19/2011 at 10:06 PM.

jblather and evilferret like this.
    I'd do that, but damn if it wouldn't be a colossal pain for everyone...

You'd have to run a patch to get hulu working, then run a different patch to "fix" things. Reboots between each step.

Annoying.

I'm pretty certain this could be made workable without reboots or crazy patching. Like I said, maybe even incorporated into the private browser patch for example... Just need more info on how to unload/reload an edited .so file. A little net searching isn't turning up a good answer.

Meh.

In the meantime, here, how about I give you instructions on how to do it manually? You can manually swap in and out the file and a backup to fix it.

1: Yank libWebKitLuna.so out of the touchpad using webos quick install (it's in the /usr/lib directory).
    2: Make a backup of this file, so you can revert this change when you want to use the app catalog again.
    2: Open the file in HxD (or the hex editor of your choice, HxD happens to be free and easy to use)
    3: Select "search" from the top bar in HxD, and pick "replace"
    4: cut/paste this string into the "find" box:
    Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.40.1 Safari/534.6 %s/%s
    5: cut/paste this string into the "replace" box:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.40.1 Safari/535.2 01/07

Now hit ok and save the file (DONT OVERWRITE YOUR BACKUP).

Use webOS quick install to place this file back into the touchpad, replacing the original file in the /usr/lib directory.

There's probably easier ways to do it, but this'll at least give you a couple of files to swap in and out. Toss em both in the same directory. Name one libWebKitLuna.hulu and the other libWebKitLuna.app then swap them in and out for the libWebKitLuna.so file at will:

For example, to swap in the Hulu enabled file:

Terminal in with webos quick install
    cd /usr/lib
    rm libWebKitLuna.so
    cp libWebKitLuna.hulu libWebKitLuna.so

Reboot the pad.

Done.

And if you don't understand everything I just typed, please don't do this. You can wind up screwing up a critical file and require a visit to the webos doctor...
    Is there terminal access within the Touchpad? Would love to be able to swap files on the fly (I hate plugging in wires).

Hope somebody comes out with an App to automate the file replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilferret View Post
    Is there terminal access within the Touchpad? Would love to be able to swap files on the fly (I hate plugging in wires).
    The only reasonable terminal application is Xterm. To use that, do a search on the Xecutah app.
    Jeez, ok, ignore my previous post.

Here. I went ahead and edited an old patch to allow you to easily enable and disable hulu.

STEP ZERO: You still need to have the old "hulu fix" installed as hulu still checks to see that you have WIN or LNX in the libflashplayer.so file. If you can't find this file, utilize the instructions I posted here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3100389

Step one: Download the file attached to this post and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the agent and auto-reboot. Be patient, it'll take a minute.

TADA, hulu works.

When you want to uninstall it (so you can use app-catalog again), you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall

TADA, app catalog works.

You can also, if you like, run these commands from the device using xterm (you'll have to install xecutah and xterm from preware to do this). You'll still have to move this file to your /media/internal first though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

jblather likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Worst case scenario, if someone f'd up their original with no backup, they could always just ask someone for a copy of their file. It's not like they are unique.
    What if we had two versions of the same file present and just make symbolic links to them? Reboot probably still necessary, but at least you'd still have the original file on the system and the file wouldn't be modified every time.

Of course, still need to do the initial file edit.

Just a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    What if we had two versions of the same file present and just make symbolic links to them? Reboot probably still necessary, but at least you'd still have the original file on the system and the file wouldn't be modified every time.

Of course, still need to do the initial file edit.

Just a suggestion.
    I'm open to see it attempted ;p. Give it a shot.

Just as soon as I get used to the manual method.

Original method works and I have backups for recovery.

One of your previous posts said you were playing around with the UA settings, is there no point looking into it hoping for one that'll work with both?
    Last edited by evilferret; 09/19/2011 at 10:18 PM.