Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
    Darn - and I just got this set up today. Gone.

If you are NOT in the USA or are a Military member serving on a Base - you can try USTVnow

It used to work on my computer but they have cut it off

It has TV shows from the USA.
    Which file on the TP has the User Agent string?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    haven't used hulu in a while... Got on 2nite n no longer available..... Any help would be appreciated... Don't know how to view from linux or change user agent strings :-(
    Just a heads up...I've got a 1st Generation Apple TV hacked to run XBMC, Boxee, etc. We've gone through the same process on there regarding Hulu, change the browser ID, agent spoofing, etc. Every time a patch comes up, Hulu WILL look for it and shut it down. It doesn't matter how few people are on the TouchPad...they're dicks about it. So I'd suggest just finding alternatives as opposed to playing the cat and mouse game just to get Hulu periodically working for a few days at a time. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchmypad View Post
    I made similar changes, but the problem is that App catalog no longer works. Has anyone figured out a user agent that works for both?
    Is there an easy way to make a "Toggle User Agent" App/Widget for "hulu"?

ie, one launch, changes the User Agent, to be "Hulu Compatible", and the other brings it back to "Touchpad Normal"?
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    BEFORE YOU DO THIS - There is a preware patch in the testing feeds that will do all this for you, and it should hit the normal preware feed soon. I'd recommend you either wait for the patch or go install the testing feeds and install the patch there.

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

I went ahead and changed this post (thanks Abyssul). I've removed the link to the file - but - Abyssul has given us an even easier method. Here's what you do:

First, ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad .

Now type or copy and paste the following lines into the terminal window. Hit enter after each line:

mount -o remount,rw /

cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

reboot

TADA, hulu works.

Want to reverse the process? Simply type (ALL ONE LINE):
    cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

so what do I type int there? Do I include reboot? Please send a reply to me saying only and exactly what to type into the text field please and thankyou...
    Quote Originally Posted by raymckay View Post
    I can confirm that changing the useragent makes hulu work again. The question is, can anybody come up with a string that both allows hulu and tells other sites to use tablet styled pages when available?

The patch I am using is based off of Carl's patch but instead I'm using Linux instead of iPad reference. (fyi the iPad reference works but only if you use the pop out viewer in hulu otherwise it tries to invoke the iPad hulu app)
    Is it possible to create an add-on to the preferences area...similar to the "enable private browsing" where you could have a choice for "Hulu browsing" so that you could use this option for Hulu and it would use a different user agent...but natively you kept your default one?
    Would be nice to have a little applet that lets you switch back and forth between the default HP one and another one that you can edit.
    Here's my Hulu exchange from today...

Hi J.,

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Michael B.
    Hulu Support

---------------------------------

Michael,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate Hulu for understanding that listening to their customers and providing resources to establish and continue communication is important to their continued success in the ever changing world of technology.

That being said, if I understand the explanation of the Hulu contractual agreement correctly there are two possible scenarios:

1. Hulu did establish a contractual agreement with device manufacturer Hewlett Packard to provide streaming content support for the HP Touchpad and then subsequently broke that agreement. The evidence to support this line of thinking would be that prior to 24 August 2011 Hulu did in fact provide Hulu services to HP Touchpad users…and on or about 24 August 2011 they did willingly block HP Touchpad users from enjoying streaming content…even though some Hulu users were paid subscribers during this time. However, I'm having trouble understanding how, if you do not have an agreement with HP at this time, there are users owning HP PCs, Laptops, Netbooks, etc able to currently enjoy access to streaming content from Hulu.

2. Hulu never actually established a contractual agreement with device manufacturer Hewlett Packard to provide streaming content support for the HP Touchpad and there was no such agreement in place throughout the life of the HP Touchpad product. If this is the case then why did Hulu provide streaming content services to users of a particular device without such an agreement in place prior to 24 August 2011? The logic here seems inconsistent with Hulu's reasoning for supplying content to users of certain devices.

In response to your remark "we get a lot of requests for webOS support", I'm not certain I understand what the operating system has to do with the decision to supply Hulu streaming content? You previously stated that Hulu's decision to provide services was exclusively between device manufacturers and Hulu which seems to indicate that a particular OS should have no bearing, since it appears to be based on devices supplied by the hardware manufacturer.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with your statement that "we can't support it right now" because Hulu can and Hulu did. Furthermore it is not necessary to evaluate new technology because you currently possess everything all the technology required to supply this service…you simply decided on or about 24 August 2011 to stop doing so. This decision baffles users who previously believed Hulu to be about delivering "advertising supported content" to their users…again, some of those being paid subscribers. Therefore the decision seems to not be a Hulu/HP decision, but a willful decision by Hulu alone to keep streaming content away from a user base that is approaching ~ 1 million persons and growing…not to mention specifically keeping Hulu users away from their paid services just because they chose a device which was clearly marketed at the time to provide Hulu viewing and may have been a factor in their decision to purchase the device. I'm not certain Hulu's advertisers, nor their paid subscribers will understand nor continue to financially support a company making such confusing business decisions in the near future.

Now I'm a reasonable man. I believe that it isn't what happens to you in life, but rather how you handle it that is important. I'm also a fair man who likes to begin resolving conflicting situations as these by freely giving the benefit of the doubt to all parties involved. I'd like to believe that this is all some sort of bizarre misunderstanding and as such would request more clarification on the above when you get the opportunity. I want to be wrong here, but so far despite your efforts it still seems like the only plausible scenario is that Hulu just doesn't want Touchpad users to enjoy their product. If that's the case, I'm certain thousands of Touchpad users can make that happen for you. All Hulu has to do is…well, nothing.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention,

J.
    Quote Originally Posted by scurvypuppy View Post

If that's the case, I'm certain thousands of Touchpad users can make that happen for you. All Hulu has to do is…well, nothing.

J.
    Perhaps you should also point out to them that the touchpad is -not- a 3G device. You're trying to watch hulu over a wifi connection at home, just as you would with a PC or a laptop or netbook. Seems odd they'd block it as they do with "mobile" devices.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    jblather likes this.
    if hp has contractual rights to hulu, only hp can enforce them through a suit. since we don't have standing to sue on hp's behalf it's not like we can threaten hulu, so they don't care about angry letters. and if we could threaten them with something, you'd be talking to their legal dept. not customer service that is just feeding you the party line and doesn't really know anything.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    So if I built my own PC, I'd have to get a contract with Hulu before I can watch? Boy I hope they're not watching me, cuz I am watching them with no problem at all. That hardware crap is just that, crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchmypad View Post
    I made similar changes, but the problem is that App catalog no longer works. Has anyone figured out a user agent that works for both?
    Indeed - this is the problem.

It's pretty easy to change the user agent (hell, I just did it in a hex editor before I actually noticed people here had already tried it).

Yes, Hulu works:

And yes, unfortunately, it breaks the app catalog . Certainly what we need is a toggle switch, an app or even a switch in the browser that can swap in and out a modded libWebKitLuna.so file would be ideal.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    jblather likes this.
    BTW, for anyone who -wants- to do it the hard way. In /usr/lib there is a file called libWebKitLuna.so

Make a backup of the file, drag it out with webOS quick install to make some changes.

Edit that in the hex editor of your choice (for example HxD).

Search for "ozilla" and hit "find next" until you come to the user agent string. It'll be something like Mozilla/5.0 (linux; bla bla bla bla)

Swap it out with something like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.40.1 Safari/535.2 01/07

Shove the file back into the touchpad with webOS quick install.

Tada - hulu works again.

Be sure to make a backup of your file first, because you'll need to restore it to normal before you'll be able to use the app catalog again . And, um, don't do this if you don't know how to do everything I've described above (I made these directions intentionally loose because I dont want to spend the next 7 days telling people how to fix something they did in a hex editor, lol)

Same trick can be used to spoof an Ipad btw, which is neat for sites that have specific ipad-only versions.

vella_ and jblather like this.
  15. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    its possible hulu is checking the browser useragent against a specific string or a keyword. Maybe we very slightly modify the useragent so it works with hulu and the app catalog.
  16. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    for example, we could change the 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 or changing one of the letters in the parts that reference hp or webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    So if I built my own PC, I'd have to get a contract with Hulu before I can watch? Boy I hope they're not watching me, cuz I am watching them with no problem at all. That hardware crap is just that, crap.
    That was my point entirely...I'm just one guy with a mobile device so they don't care about me. What I had a beef with was the bad logic. I mean, if Hulu claims to need an agreement with the device manufacturer before they can offer services then they either had one and broke it or they never had one to begin with. Either way they choose to offer services then block them for their users and no spin is going to suffice other than to come out and say, "we want you to watch Hulu, just not on your Touchpad." If that's the line then just say that.

As volatile as the streaming market is these days with Netflix, etc you'd think companies would be working to support more devices and content rather than willfully blocking services to a device they already had working for weeks.

I don't expect a reply back from Hulu by the way...just hated to see something that logically half-baked go unanswered...it just rode all over me.

Kudos to the folks out there actually working to solve problems and trying to make the Touchpad better by sacrificing their personal time. I really appreciate it and thank you for your efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by scurvypuppy View Post

Hi J.,

Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

We get a lot of requests for webOS support, so it's definitely something that's on our radar. Though we can't support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and we'll be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( Hulu - Plus ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there's anything else I can address for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Michael B.
    Hulu Support

---------------------------------

Michael,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate Hulu for understanding that listening to their customers and providing resources to establish and continue communication is important to their continued success in the ever changing world of technology.

That being said, if I understand the explanation of the Hulu contractual agreement correctly there are two possible scenarios:

1. Hulu did establish a contractual agreement with device manufacturer Hewlett Packard to provide streaming content support for the HP Touchpad and then subsequently broke that agreement. The evidence to support this line of thinking would be that prior to 24 August 2011 Hulu did in fact provide Hulu services to HP Touchpad users…and on or about 24 August 2011 they did willingly block HP Touchpad users from enjoying streaming content…even though some Hulu users were paid subscribers during this time. However, I'm having trouble understanding how, if you do not have an agreement with HP at this time, there are users owning HP PCs, Laptops, Netbooks, etc able to currently enjoy access to streaming content from Hulu.

2. Hulu never actually established a contractual agreement with device manufacturer Hewlett Packard to provide streaming content support for the HP Touchpad and there was no such agreement in place throughout the life of the HP Touchpad product. If this is the case then why did Hulu provide streaming content services to users of a particular device without such an agreement in place prior to 24 August 2011? The logic here seems inconsistent with Hulu's reasoning for supplying content to users of certain devices.

In response to your remark "we get a lot of requests for webOS support", I'm not certain I understand what the operating system has to do with the decision to supply Hulu streaming content? You previously stated that Hulu's decision to provide services was exclusively between device manufacturers and Hulu which seems to indicate that a particular OS should have no bearing, since it appears to be based on devices supplied by the hardware manufacturer.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with your statement that "we can't support it right now" because Hulu can and Hulu did. Furthermore it is not necessary to evaluate new technology because you currently possess everything all the technology required to supply this service…you simply decided on or about 24 August 2011 to stop doing so. This decision baffles users who previously believed Hulu to be about delivering "advertising supported content" to their users…again, some of those being paid subscribers. Therefore the decision seems to not be a Hulu/HP decision, but a willful decision by Hulu alone to keep streaming content away from a user base that is approaching ~ 1 million persons and growing…not to mention specifically keeping Hulu users away from their paid services just because they chose a device which was clearly marketed at the time to provide Hulu viewing and may have been a factor in their decision to purchase the device. I'm not certain Hulu's advertisers, nor their paid subscribers will understand nor continue to financially support a company making such confusing business decisions in the near future.

Now I'm a reasonable man. I believe that it isn't what happens to you in life, but rather how you handle it that is important. I'm also a fair man who likes to begin resolving conflicting situations as these by freely giving the benefit of the doubt to all parties involved. I'd like to believe that this is all some sort of bizarre misunderstanding and as such would request more clarification on the above when you get the opportunity. I want to be wrong here, but so far despite your efforts it still seems like the only plausible scenario is that Hulu just doesn't want Touchpad users to enjoy their product. If that's the case, I'm certain thousands of Touchpad users can make that happen for you. All Hulu has to do is…well, nothing.

J.
    This is what I wrote to them.

Hello. It is very puzzling that Hulu is in the business of deciding who gets to watch Hulu and on what device. Is that what Hulu is? Or you are in the business of distributing content to as many people as possible regardless of the device? I am assuming the latter and that's what the content providers are hoping. They want their content to reach to as many people and not just people using xyz device. If that is the case, why do u care if i am watching Hulu on my PC or Touchpad at home? It is absolutely moronic that u are blocking a particular device. Hulu shouldn't be biased or in the business of favoring xyz device. Just let people watch whatever they want on whatever device they want. You are not transmitting this content free of ads anyway. You are getting paid for more views of these ads. So why block webOS community?Simply pathetic and moronic. No need for a boiler plate answer.

BTW, a lot of people are ****ed off about this and are canceling their HULU plus subscription because of this pathetic decision of yours. Take that to the bank. And you can't really block people from watching this on their TouchPad if they really want. There are 3rd party software suites that allow streaming of Hulu and other stuff to any device. So instead of buying a Hulu plus subscription and making u the money, people are paying 3rd party so that they can get basic Hulu on their webOS device. So much for blocking. Your silly decision is benefiting middle men. If you had not done this, people would have purchased Hulu plus subscription instead of paying few dollars to the middle men. History is a strong guide that shows that any company who favored xyz tech/device over actual content has always lost out in the end. Hope you can learn from it.

Thanks but no thanks.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Maybe we could get more attention/results by writing to advertisers and networks who use Hulu. cc Hulu each time. If their business partners start to hear about this, Hulu might be more responsive.

We should explain that even though we number almost a million, and only use wifi (like a laptop), Hulu has chosen to block us from their service.

Maybe we should start a list of companies to inform about Hulu's actions. I know NBC, Lexus, and Funimation off hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    for example, we could change the 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 or changing one of the letters in the parts that reference hp or webos.
    Actually, from a -bit- of testing, I think they are actually specifically looking for the part of the string that says "touchpad" or "webos". For example if I just change the first half of the string hulu still won't work. It's gotta be that final section of the string.

If you look at the string in a hex editor, there actually -isn't- a part that says "touchpad", it's a populated piece of string.

So right now I'm actually trying to see if I can edit the string a hair (removal of the "touchpad" for example) without breaking the app catalog.

I'll let ya'all know.

palmpre06062009 likes this.