Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
    You're expected to do programming to get something to work. Hulu is just being greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by DS3 View Post
    edit: look a few posts down, ncinerate has an easier method

-------
    Someone (not me) already figured out how to get Hulu working again by hexediting your flashplayers identifier from webOS to windows and I can confirm it works.
    Touchpad Hulu Block Bypassed - Pastebin.com

You have to install the sdk and a hexedit program if you don't have them, but it works.

Here is a link to installing the SDK, which he tells you to google
    https://developer.palm.com/index.php...t=page&id=1661
    Make sure you get Virtualbox 3.2, later versions don't work with webos.

He makes the instructions a little more complicated than they need to be though, heres all I did after installing the SDK.

- Run "nova browser" which is already installed by the SDK. Browse to /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so, and copy the file to your desktop. Make a second copy as a backup.
    - Open the hex editor, select your copy of libflashplayer.so, search for "WEB 10" and change it to "WIN 10", obviously this is the identifier. Save.
    - Back in novabrowser, select the browserserverplugins folder, use file > add and select your altered file to automatically replace the original.

Done. If you get permission errors at some point I believe thats what the chmod steps are for.

I have not noticed any side effects and cant imagine there are any, but the change is easily reversible if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    It's ok to download files from Palm and personally modify them, but it becoming infringing when you share those files (modified or not). That's why we rely on patches.
    Respect that totally .

Besides, your method was easier. I went ahead and edited my post to reflect that.
    Desperately seeking some kind of User Agent Spoof script/tool. The site I frequent always renders as a mobile site when the desktop version should work just fine on the touchpad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. MP
  4. DS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    You're expected to do programming to get something to work. Hulu is just being greedy.
    I dont know, they dont even have a hulu plus for the touchpad so what do they get by blocking it? They have some agreement. Granted they probably didnt really have to make it in the first place.

Even the first method really isnt hard to do though it just takes a bit to install stuff. The updated versions are probably very quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    Desperately seeking some kind of User Agent Spoof script/tool. The site I frequent always renders as a mobile site when the desktop version should work just fine on the touchpad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. MP
    Tried doing it - edited the existing user agent spoof patch and everything.

Totally borked up the app catalog etc. I'm not sure there's going to be an easy fix to this issue.
    New wiki page:

Hulu Fix - WebOS Internals

Contribute to it if you have something to add.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Any adverse effects that may require us to reverse this process that we should be aware of?
    I get the following message:

mv: can't rename '/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so': No such file
    or directory
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I went ahead and changed this post (thanks Abyssul). I've removed the link to the file - but - Abyssul has given us an even easier method. Here's what you do:

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad .

Now type the following -exactly- (ALL ON ONE LINE, not two lines):

mv /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

Now type:

cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

Now type (again, ALL ON ONE LINE):

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

Finally, type:

chmod 755 /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

TADA, hulu works.

Want to reverse the process? Simply type (ALL ONE LINE):
    cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so
    I have WebOS Quick Install up, and there is a box with "There are no devices currently connected. Please connect a device to continue." Uh?.. what do I do. It hasn't picked up my TouchPad.
    So i followed the instructions on Hulu Fix - WebOS Internals and waited for the system to reboot.

Now when I navigate to Hulu or Google Finance (or other flash sites) the browser doesnt think that Flash is installed, and is asking me to reinstall it. Did i mess up somewhere?
    Also - what version should I pick :

1) YUM for Linux (YUM)
    2) .tar.gz for other Linux
    3) .rpm for other Linux
    4) APT for Ubuntu 10.04+

Somewhat of a newbie here .. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by srinsubra View Post
    So i followed the instructions on Hulu Fix - WebOS Internals and waited for the system to reboot.

Now when I navigate to Hulu or Google Finance (or other flash sites) the browser doesnt think that Flash is installed, and is asking me to reinstall it. Did i mess up somewhere?
    Also - what version should I pick :

1) YUM for Linux (YUM)
    2) .tar.gz for other Linux
    3) .rpm for other Linux
    4) APT for Ubuntu 10.04+

Somewhat of a newbie here .. Thanks for the help!
    I think the instructions to do a mv for that file are incorrect. I did a cp (copy) rather than a mv (move) and it worked. Basically the following line that modified the flash file after the move no longer had a file to work on since the extension is now bak, and the original is gone.

So instead of
    mv /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

I did

cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

Since your original file is gone though, you will probably need to copy it backwards, try just running this command and it should fix it for you:
    cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

then do the

I didn't do the chmod on the resulting file and it worked ok, not sure if thats ok or not, but it works.

I like salty ballz
    Last edited by barker1000; 08/28/2011 at 12:09 PM.
    So I messed my touchpad up, flash is no longer working.. While I was typing the command I must have bumped it or it lost connection for a second... I got this typed and the command got sent

mv /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr

I received an error. I tried to locate the file but now it doesn't appear to be there and flash does not work on my touchpad. Any suggestions? Is my file still there but named wrong, it's been a long time since I worked with linux. If nothing else I'll just use the WebOS doctor, but would rather not if there is an easy way to find the file and move it properly...

Shawn
    yes if you do a mv command your just renaming the file. After you rename no workie...Do cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

Then do the sed command.
    I tried the above - but now I get the error cp: cant create 'usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so": Read-only file system

The touchpad is connected in Just Charge mode - do I need to switch it over to the USB mode?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    There appear to be some steps missing/confused in all these directions. If we move the file to the backup, then try and mod the original, the original doesn't exist any more...shouldn't the first step to 'cp /usr/....' instead of mv? (EDIT: I see some of this was discussed while I typed my reply, but I'll leave the rest of the post for clarity for the future)

There are a few other things where the directory you are in isn't correct given the directions...however, being familiar with command line usage (from my DOS days...not a whole lot of Linux experience), I was able to figure it out and get Hulu working, but a younger person or non-techie wouldn't pick up on it. From my view, the process after getting into the Linux command line should be the following:
    (my comments are in [brackets]...do not type those parts):

cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

[this makes a copy to the backup, instead of renaming it]
    Now type:

cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

Now type (again, ALL ON ONE LINE):

Finally, type:

chmod 755 libflashplayer.so

[I modded this because we're currently in the /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins directory...the original command would be fine from the root directory, but we aren't in the root directory at this point.]
    just putting in cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

gives me the error .. no such file or directory. So I am assuming I lost the original somehow. Should I just reinstall flash and the follow the directions again?
    if so, do i install the .tar.gz version for other linux?

thanks.
    OK this is cool. Good work guys!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I changed the wiki page to reflect 'cp' instead of 'mv' hopefully this will keep from Bjorking flash.

If your Flash doesn't work after following the mv instruction, serverfull's advice should fix it.

edit: Maybe it would be best to copy it off to the /media directory?
    Quote Originally Posted by srinsubra View Post
    just putting in cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

gives me the error .. no such file or directory. So I am assuming I lost the original somehow. Should I just reinstall flash and the follow the directions again?
    if so, do i install the .tar.gz version for other linux?

thanks.
    You need to go backward since you already moved the original file...

cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

then try the sed command
    right .. but in that case, I get the "read only" error
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast