Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've now dealt with the manager of my BBY twice in the last week or so regarding the TouchPad fire sale, and the best I can figure out is that he simply hates webOS. I stopped by the store at opening time on Sunday, and this was what he told the small group of us hoping for TPs:

    "We have no TouchPads, in fact no Best Buy store in the US has TouchPads. They've all been sent back to HP. You can get them in Canada. We have a lot of other tablets and we'd be happy to sell you one of them. Be thankful you didn't buy the TouchPad, as it would have been a waste of money."

    This was obviously wrong or a lie. We know people purchased TPs from BBY on Sunday. Maybe HIS were sent back, but not all of them. I didn't feel like arguing with him, however.

    Then today, I stopped by since I'd been hearing that BBYs are getting new stock in. This was the response from the same guy to the two of us waiting at the door at opening time:

    "We might get some in on Saturday ... maybe. The TouchPad is a waste of money, though, even at $99. The app developers have abandoned the platform and it only had 10-20 apps to begin with."

    I flat out told the guy he was wrong, that the app developers have NOT abandoned the platform en masse, and that it had about 300 tablet-specific apps at launch. Additionally, I reminded him, that for $99 if it was only used as a digital picture frame, an e-reader, or a web browsing and email device, it was worth the money. He told me the Kindle app isn't supported anymore, and as I called him on that, he walked away.

    Sadly, I'm going to have to go back there on Saturday morning if Irene isn't laying waste to my town, just to see if they have them.
  2. #2  
    You tell 'im!
  3. #3  
    You tell'em Steve Dave!
  4. #4  
    He's an *****. Doesn't he like lines of 100 people before the door opens? News stories about the lines? Wether he likes the Touchpad or not, he can't even take advantage of the Black Friday-like shoppers. If Best Buy was smart they'd put out a circular around the Touchpad and wait until they had about 200 and advertise a ton of other deals.
    RoverNole likes this.
  5. #5  
    What a ******. Why do they say these things? I'm pretty sure that Samsung is paying BB to advertise their tablets. I'm pretty sure that if they caught you looking at the TP they would offer you SGS 10.1. I heard that both in here and in Twitter.
  6. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #6  
    A sales person who has to do NO WORK to sell you something and turns you away, is quite incompetent.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Sapient2k7 and JonVon like this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    A sales person who has to do NO WORK to sell you something and turns you away, is quite incompetent.
    True story. The OP should have said something like that.

    I'd expect from a sales person, if I'm looking for a product, to tell me what's good with this product and only if I ask him whether there is something better to offer me other products. Or at least do it nicely not saying that it is a waste of money.
  8. #8  
    HAHAHA, I don't take crap like that from any retailer/sales person.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #9  
    he probably tells you that and then walks into the back into a dark closet and starts <playing with> on his personal pile of Touchpads.


    <staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/25/2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: this is a family friendly site
    65fastback likes this.
  10. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I've now dealt with the manager of my BBY twice in the last week or so regarding the TouchPad fire sale, and the best I can figure out is that he simply hates webOS. I stopped by the store at opening time on Sunday, and this was what he told the small group of us hoping for TPs:

    "We have no TouchPads, in fact no Best Buy store in the US has TouchPads. They've all been sent back to HP. You can get them in Canada. We have a lot of other tablets and we'd be happy to sell you one of them. Be thankful you didn't buy the TouchPad, as it would have been a waste of money."

    This was obviously wrong or a lie. We know people purchased TPs from BBY on Sunday. Maybe HIS were sent back, but not all of them. I didn't feel like arguing with him, however.

    Then today, I stopped by since I'd been hearing that BBYs are getting new stock in. This was the response from the same guy to the two of us waiting at the door at opening time:

    "We might get some in on Saturday ... maybe. The TouchPad is a waste of money, though, even at $99. The app developers have abandoned the platform and it only had 10-20 apps to begin with."

    I flat out told the guy he was wrong, that the app developers have NOT abandoned the platform en masse, and that it had about 300 tablet-specific apps at launch. Additionally, I reminded him, that for $99 if it was only used as a digital picture frame, an e-reader, or a web browsing and email device, it was worth the money. He told me the Kindle app isn't supported anymore, and as I called him on that, he walked away.

    Sadly, I'm going to have to go back there on Saturday morning if Irene isn't laying waste to my town, just to see if they have them.
    You might consider sending your story/complaint to Brian.Dunn@bestbuy.com. He is their CEO.
  11. #11  
    I wonder how much margin Best Buy makes on a fire-sale TouchPad.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. tdoom15's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #12  
    All the best buy employees i talk to have NO CLUE about webOS, and they all dislike and do not recommend it. There's definitely a campaign against it (even when the pre first came out) within best buy or by other product reps...it's too widespread not to be.
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
  13. bkosh84's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I wonder how much margin Best Buy makes on a fire-sale TouchPad.
    Probably not much.. In fact their margin is probably taking a HUGE hit.. Unless HP made a deal with them to repay the cost of the lost margin..
  14. #14  
    Ok, nobody throw anything at me, but......does it really matter that the guy is wrong?

    I mean, he's entitled to his opinion one way or another. His information is wrong, but obviously his misinformation hasn't stopped anyone from still seeking one. It's not worth the effort to argue with people like that. You won't change his mind.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkosh84 View Post
    Probably not much.. In fact their margin is probably taking a HUGE hit.. Unless HP made a deal with them to repay the cost of the lost margin..
    Yes but it's as good as a loss-leader. It gets people in the store.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
  16. JonVon's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
    All the best buy employees i talk to have NO CLUE about webOS, and they all dislike and do not recommend it. There's definitely a campaign against it (even when the pre first came out) within best buy or by other product reps...it's too widespread not to be.
    yes, this is 100% true. There has always been an unwillingness to learn about webOS. Part of that stems from the web training/e-learning method that best buy and hp use. The HP store reps have to get a certain percentage of employees to complete the training by a certain date to hit their metrics and it comes across as a hassle to the best buy employees. HP did offer incentives to completing training, but the whole webOS training only amounted to about $100 in HP gift cards from what I was told. So you could buy some ink for taking the training.
  17. #17  
    I'm fairly certain that Best Buy employees just let their friends know when they arrive.
  18. #18  
    It's incredible how shockingly bitter he feels about webOS. Maybe webOS took his parking spot that morning, maybe webOS used the last spot in the luggage overhead compartment on his last flight, maybe webOS took the last roster spot on the company softball team...who knows?????
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  19. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAlmostPopular View Post
    Ok, nobody throw anything at me, but......does it really matter that the guy is wrong?

    I mean, he's entitled to his opinion one way or another. His information is wrong, but obviously his misinformation hasn't stopped anyone from still seeking one. It's not worth the effort to argue with people like that. You won't change his mind.
    Sure it does matter. Look at it this way. If the manager was just some guy you met at a bar or a ball game and he offered his opinion, then big deal. In that case you have a conversation, politely disagree, no harm, no foul. However, put that person in the setting of being an employee, on the clock, in his place of employment, talking down the product that he's supposed to be selling... As a manager his job is to make sure everything on the shelves gets sold as much as possible. His personal opinions are his own and he can express them however he feels OFF THE CLOCK. While he's on the clock - the customer is always right, and if the customer wants to spend money on something then the customer gets what they want PERIOD!

    If the employee feels that there's a better fit, then they may politely explain the benefits of another product without dismissing the customers original choice. There are ways to change a customers mind without being a jerk.

    Personally I would say that the customer should complain to the district manager, use the website to file a complaint, or shoot for a presidential escalation and e-mail the CEO.

    As customers we have the right to ask for better behavior from the people in the companies that we make purchases from (e.g. like clean uniforms, not seeing people's cracks, not dealing with rude or dismissive staff, not being told that our past purchases were stupid)
  20. Kujila's Avatar
    Posts
    400 Posts
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    #20  
    Contact Best Buy corporate, or a local HP retail representative, and explain how the store management is telling customers that a product they sell is "a waste of money"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions