Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    So everybody already knows that HP stated that they will no longer be making webOS devices. However comma roughly about the same number of people know about the fire sale, the lines and the (now) high demand for the touchpad. The user base has grown tremendously.
    While some devs and companies still refuse to support webOS because it's "dying," I thought that we could show them otherwise by bombarding them with requests to port their apps. There are many more people in our community now and there is strength in numbers.
    I'm willing to bet that many of the TP owners do not own a webOS phone. I'm sure they miss some apps. Why not email the developer and ask that they make the app for the TouchPad?
    Post the app you would like on your TouchPad and also send the developer a request. If someone else also wants that app, take action and also send a request to the developer. They may be reluctant at first, but once they start receiving more and more requests to port their app to webOS, they may actually do it.
    For every reply with an app, I will also send the developer a request as well.
    It's merely a thought. Win win situation for everyone involved...

Be sure to leave the email address or link to the dev so that it's easier for others to request support.
    Last edited by Dazo; 08/28/2011 at 01:09 PM.
    bigjon29 and HighwayEleven like this.
    LastPass. They said that they are making one but that was about a month ago.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    the beauty of android is you buy an app on your phone and its on your tablet also.. More than half the smartphones sold are Android and tablet sales are growing day by day.(is it the same for iphone/ipad?). So more than half are not going to buy an app twice for separate devices. I know I saw mlb at bat on the TP and was not paying 4.99 for it when i already have it for android
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I agree. I have been mainly emailing developers of iPad drawing apps and a few others. The Touchpad needs a good drawing app. My top two I would like to see are:
    -Sketchbook
    -Brushes

My other apps I would love to see are:
    -Netflix
    -Hulu
    -Nook
    -OliveTree Bible
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGMERF View Post
    the beauty of android is you buy an app on your phone and its on your tablet also.. More than half the smartphones sold are Android and tablet sales are growing day by day.(is it the same for iphone/ipad?). So more than half are not going to buy an app twice for separate devices. I know I saw mlb at bat on the TP and was not paying 4.99 for it when i already have it for android
    If you buy an app on your Pre it's also on your Touchpad if you use the same ID.

The catch is that you'd have to have a Pre.
    How come they cannot make generic app's for every device? Whenever I go to a site and there pimping there app it's usually for iJoke or Hemroid, so I fire off an angry email telling them not everyone uses those phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    How come they cannot make generic app's for every device? Whenever I go to a site and there pimping there app it's usually for iJoke or Hemroid, so I fire off an angry email telling them not everyone uses those phones.
    Same reason you have to buy NHL 11 for xbox and a different copy for PS3, and a different copy for PC etc etc.
    i don't think spamming for support will help. The devs will look at their downloads versus their support calls and think that webOS users are a bunch of wimpy kiddy baby whiners.
    the beauty of android is you buy an app on your phone and its on your tablet also.. More than half the smartphones sold are Android and tablet sales are growing day by day.(is it the same for iphone/ipad?).
    Yes, its the same for iPad/iPhone. However, some developers sell their iPad enhanced apps separately from the iPhone version (presumably to make more money). The iPhone app will still work on the iPad, just it'll be scaled up (and not look that great). Many apps are "Universal", i.e. one app contains both iPhone and iPad versions for one price, so you don't have to buy again to get the iPad enhanced version. I'd be surprised if developers didn't do the same on the Android marketplace.
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Emailed Sketchbook (sketchbook.help@autodesk.com), Brushes, LastPass, Hulu (support@hulu.com), and Olivetree Bible (support@olivetree.com). Hopefully others do too.

Hulu:
    Thanks for writing in about Hulu on the HP TouchPad. Unfortunately, due to the contractual agreements with our content providers, we have to have a certain set of agreements set up with a device manufacturer before we can provide support for that device. We have no partnership with HP at this time, so we can't currently stream through their device.

Olivetree Bible:
    Unfortunately, we are still unable to provide an application for the WebOS environment. Although it is a great operating system, because of the unique and local-to-the-device nature of the BibleReader program it would be a significant expenditure of resources to create (and maintain) a program with the quality and functionality that our users expect.
    Last edited by Dazo; 08/30/2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Same reason you have to buy NHL 11 for xbox and a different copy for PS3, and a different copy for PC etc etc.
    That reference was very Canadian of you.... especially 5 days before Madden is released.

*don't get me wrong, I love me some hockey, big Sharks fan here.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    the beauty of android is you buy an app on your phone and its on your tablet also..
    When I got my TouchPad, I logged into it with the Palm Profile I use on my Sprint Pre phone, and just about every app I had on my Pre installed itself on the TouchPad. Android has nothing over WebOS there.
  13. SR1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    If you buy an app on your Pre it's also on your Touchpad if you use the same ID.

The catch is that you'd have to have a Pre.
    LOL
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    LastPass:

We are planning to release a TouchPad app in the future, and are currently working on; however, we don't have a time frame for when this will be done. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preluva View Post
    I bet when a dev gets an angry email, they strongly consider whatever angry request you're making.
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Youview Bible

"Alright, right now we're waiting on HP."
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Thanks Dazo, I have written several more devs and a lot of people don't want to be bothered on with an OS that is up in the air. Others aren't understanding that the fire sale has created a huge influx of potential new customers. Another group has said they want to see app sales figures before and after. I think we need to step up and show them webOS is a huge opportunity by downloading paid and free apps, web browsing, basically making our presence known by demographics.
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    I've been downloading paid apps and the ones that HP put out with promo codes because I heard that HP reimburses the devs. I believe that current developers will see a spike in sales. I would think that they could only benefit from porting their apps. Most of the customers would have to rebuy the app even if they did have it before. That's more money than not doing that an keeping your current customers.
    Another plus that I see is that there currently aren't as many apps as for Android or Apple so there their apps would be more visible.
    I'll keep requesting for apps that I'd like to see.
    Hope to hear some good news for webOS soon.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Money speaks louder than words. Buy apps, and developers will get the message.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I suggest that if you put down the app you want, also research the email address of the dev so we can easily email them. Why make everyone else go and research the same thing. Let's help each other out in multiple ways!

Dazo could you update your OP with that? Yes or yes?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast