Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Stopped by a Best Buy last night to grab a TP Touchstone and keyboard. No problem with those two items - they had no touchpads of course and had just sold their last case - but still had what I wanted.

It was near closing and the place was pretty dead, there were three sales reps in the area. All of them were raving about the TP, saying how great it was, how much they loved the Touchstone and keyboard. Gushed about the OS and the exibition mode. They could not get over how great the touchstone was and how that really pushed the device above all the Andrroids they had used. When I first asked about accessories, the first thing out of one of their mouths was: "Man you GOT to get a touchstone!"

Two of them had just gotten a Touchpad when the price dropped and a third has been searching all over to get his. Was excited when I told him the rumor that HP.com would be getting more soon.I hooked them up with PreCentral and they were all going to learn about how to overclock and turn off the logging, etc.

On the way out, the guy at the door that checks your bag before you leave - as soon as he saw I had TP accessories - did the same thing. Went on and on about how great the TP was. Said I am going to love that Touchstone and so on. Suggested I get a screen protector. They were out but he told me what stores still had them.

Left BB sort of sad. Just think what might have been if all the BB sales people had had this attitude before the announcement. When at BB before, nobody knew anything about the TP and were clearly directing customers over to Androids. Heck, my local BB couldnt even figure out how to get their demo units to charge up and work.

Had HP gotten this thing into more people's hands right away (at least after the software update) even with its flaws, this could have been a real winner for all concerned.

Yes, setting the price at low the start (or giving a huge rebate coupon or something) would have meant HP didnt make very much or even lost a little on each unit. But the ironic thing is, of all the tablet makers out there, HP was the only one for which a "loss leader" stratagy made sense.

With HP (originally) wanting to suck everybody in to buy their webOS printers and dual-boot computers and other devices, selling the TP at a slight loss actually could have made good business sense. It would have put weOs into the hands of a huge number of customers for their future devices.

They could have owned the non-Apple tablet market, since the other makers could not really afford to do that with no tie-in devices and Android on tablets is really not quite there yet anyway.

Of course, its clear now that Leo doesnt care about all that hardware stuff so thinking like that was not going to happen.

Well at least I was able to "sign-up" three new Precentral members.....
    Last edited by midmofan; 08/25/2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Microsoft and Sony BOTH sold their consoles at a loss to increase the user base. It seems to be not such a bad thing really. Everyone is so enthusiastic about the TouchPad now, it's pretty awesome. It's been my favorite tablet since it was released, but the fire sale FINALLY allowed me to get one(:
    Man I wish I could find a TouchStone at Best Buy! I have a coupon I want to use!
    OP what best buy has TP's Bhoo bhoo
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    OP what best buy has TP's Bhoo bhoo

um... did you even read his post?
    Good story. The lesson is clear, use te "razor and blades" model for selling tablets. Sell hardware at a loss, then profit from 30% commission on apps. The bar has been set, $150 tablet is what people want; heck, even $200.

HP won't learn from this lesson, but hopefully other hardware makers will. RIM, use this method to avoid going out of business. Android, use this to make the Apple Tax unpalatable to all buyers.
    Best buy stores are getting more in on weekly trucks this week., my store is getting about 20 of each model.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox31 View Post
    Good story. The lesson is clear, use te "razor and blades" model for selling tablets.
    I think that if HP thought that model would work, they would have used it. Remember, this is the company that sells discounted printers and overpriced ink...

A lot of the mark-up on accessories happens at the retail store. After all, this is how retail stores make *their* money.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    It's a completely different product at $99. At $400-$500, it needs be better than slice bread, at $99 is just has to be good. At $400 it's compared to an iPad, and at $99 it's compared to cheap tablets.

Would the most hard core WebOS user say it's way better than an iPad? Given a choice of a TouchPad at $99 or an iPad at $99, the general public would chose the iPad, just based on publicity.

It's easy to say it's way better than a $99 Chinese knockoff tablet.
    $99 is very appealing. Im def waiting for the second shipment to come in.

In regards to the comparison to the Ipad. I have yet to meet someone who had a WebOS product (phone/tablet) and said the OS sucked. I picked Palm Pre over an iphone and would pick TP over Ipad. The price was too steep initially but now, sign me up.
    "My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."
    Mike Tyson
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoty View Post
    Would the most hard core WebOS user say it's way better than an iPad? Given a choice of a TouchPad at $99 or an iPad at $99, the general public would chose the iPad, just based on publicity..
    That's because people will buy anything that's shiny with an Apple logo on it. For all of its faults, I much prefer the TP to the iPad, in a lot of ways it is better. A lot better.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    when staples had the coupon which took the price down to $300, which was after the 3.0.2 upgrade, it sold very well. I think at that price they could have sold well, and HP wouldn't have lost much money. Especially on a first gen device with inferior hardware. Get it established, get developers to feel it is viable, show off the integration with the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalek2000 View Post
    $99 is very appealing. Im def waiting for the second shipment to come in.

In regards to the comparison to the Ipad. I have yet to meet someone who had a WebOS product (phone/tablet) and said the OS sucked. I picked Palm Pre over an iphone and would pick TP over Ipad. The price was too steep initially but now, sign me up.
    I couldn't agree more. For the longest time I was the only one among people I knew that had a Pre-. Everyone always wanted to know what it was and how it compared to an iPhone. A handful said if it came in a different form, they would check it out. Pretty much, if Palm or HP would have made one similar to an iPhone (ie slate device) it would have opened up the room for more users due to options. Whether at $99 or $499, I would chose WebOS over iOS any day of the week.
    From launch day Pre- to firesale TouchPad.
    I can tell you after using my Xoom for about 6 months that WebOS is like a handicapped toy. I pray that HC will be ROM'd to it.

The hardware seams pretty good and I think it has better video capability. But overall the apps and customization is very weak.

Can't complain too much I got the 32GB at BB for $149. At this price the Google compatibilty and multimedia functions alone make it a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjoudrey View Post
    I can tell you after using my Xoom for about 6 months that WebOS is like a handicapped toy. I pray that HC will be ROM'd to it.

The hardware seams pretty good and I think it has better video capability. But overall the apps and customization is very weak.

Can't complain too much I got the 32GB at BB for $149. At this price the Google compatibilty and multimedia functions alone make it a great deal.
    Comparing something you've had for 6 months, to something you've had for a couple days at best, seems a bit unjust. Especially since I would bet that you've never had WebOS experience before.....
    "What is right, isn't always popular. What is popular, isn't always right."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    Comparing something you've had for 6 months, to something you've had for a couple days at best, seems a bit unjust. Especially since I would bet that you've never had WebOS experience before.....
    Maybe I am missing something but I seem to have hit the wall on what I can do. I have installed preware and all the patches, anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    when staples had the coupon which took the price down to $300, which was after the 3.0.2 upgrade, it sold very well. I think at that price they could have sold well, and HP wouldn't have lost much money. Especially on a first gen device with inferior hardware. Get it established, get developers to feel it is viable, show off the integration with the pre3.
    I think HP is building some ownership numbers so they can sell WebOS and make back some of their losses. A platform with 500,000 users is worth a lot more than one with 50,000.
    Maybe I am missing something but I seem to have hit the wall on what I can do. I have installed preware and all the patches, anything else?
    Customization won't be close to what you're used to on Android/Honeycomb. So far anyway.

As far as apps, yeah the selection is pretty weak, but there are some pretty good ones. Enough to get it up and running as a useful device to have.
    What else are you trying to do?
    What exactly do you mean by "handicapped toy"? While I agree that there are a lot of apple/android apps which aren't available on the WebOS platform, the system itself is more capable than the others IMO. What is it that you want to do with it that you cant?
    "What is right, isn't always popular. What is popular, isn't always right."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast