Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Microsoft and Sony BOTH sold their consoles at a loss to increase the user base. It seems to be not such a bad thing really. Everyone is so enthusiastic about the TouchPad now, it's pretty awesome. It's been my favorite tablet since it was released, but the fire sale FINALLY allowed me to get one(:
    Well the video game console business is a different arena.
    I just drove 30 minutes to a BB near me because the online inventory said it was available, in store only. Of course, they were gone when I got there.

One of the employees said the truck came in last night, the employees got theirs, and they put the rest out this morning.

The BB by my house gets its shipments on Mon & Thurs, so I'm hoping they get some tonight, but hopefully the employees don't get them all and leave some for the public.
  3.    #23  
    As noted above, HP sells low-end printers at a loss to sell ink and video game consols have sold at a loss to sell games.

The tablet is obviously different since, on its own, it would hard to make up for the loss on a low price just by selling apps.

However, the big difference with HP was the overall (under Hurd) plan to make this all part of an integrated system on computers and printers and everything else. I have talked to Best Buy reps that went to HP training and seminars where the dual-boot computer was the thing they kept talking about and pushing as their next big thing.

With that in mind, and given that there was not a huge existing base of users familier with webOS like there was with Apple and Android that would automatically gravitate to a webOs tablet, selling the tablet at least at cost could have made a lot of sense. As pointed out in the most recent podcast, if they had spent some of their advertising and promotin money to "subsidize" the loss on the price, that would have been far better marketing than any TV ad.

With webOs in the hands of a lot of tablet users, the dual boot computer would be a lot more attractive and the printers that used webOs would be a lot of people's first choice.

Of course, since Leo is apparantly only interested in enterprise software, this whole idea was unlikely to gain any traction, but it could have been a very beutiful thing....
    Last edited by midmofan; 08/25/2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    What else are you trying to do?
    Good question! More used to playing than using I guess.

Apps I use alot, News 360, Splashtop, An editable version of QuickOffice, AccuWeather, GasBuddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjoudrey View Post
    Good question! More used to playing than using I guess.
    I know that feeling. I used to cook Windows Mobile Roms even if my current one was working.

Apps I use alot, News 360, Splashtop, An editable version of QuickOffice, AccuWeather, GasBuddy.
    QO should be this week. The others all have equivalents.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjoudrey View Post
    AccuWeather for the TouchPad was added to the app catalog a few days ago. So that's one more off the list.

PS: Editable 'QuickOffice' is expected within the week.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I wonder how far they could have gotten with a store exclusive release (Best Buy and HP only) and giving units to the sales people to have/play with.
    when I went to my one of my local BB's on Sunday morning they said they're all sold out but if i really wanted one they could sell me one of the employee's one at extra cost.....

so I ordered 4 online
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12