Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 92 of 92
Like Tree108Likes
  1. #81  
    Well, that explains the email I got...This could be entertaining.
  2. #82  
    are we twins??? I was thinking almost the same thing. Great job.
  3. #83  
    Great read ... Like many I got the Touchpad in order to eventually put Android on it, but I bet that like many, I am reconsidering. I lament weak app market and unfinished feel to some of the components, but I think I would give WebOS a chance. This would never have happened without the fire sale.
  4. #84  
    I don't think HP is pulling some big switcheroo on us and now they are going to start making webOS devices again, it just doesn't make since. I think they want out of the device business and that is what they intend to do.

    I do however believe that the fire sale was a marketing strategy intended to create a consumer frenzy with the hope that it would peak interest from would be suitors to buy the OS (HTC, Samsung). Face it, HP could have priced these devices for $199 or even $249 and still cleared them out with minimized loss. They are selling like hot cakes on Ebay for this price point. And while they would have sold quickly at these prices, there wouldn't have been lines at every store to get one.

    I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face, even the biggest ******, that they truly believe $99 was the price point that had to be hit before these would sell. However, this probably is the point you would have to hit to cause the frenzy that we witnessed. In that respect, HP has accomplished their goal, now we just have to wait and see if anyone bites and picks up WebOS.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by sds9977 View Post
    I don't think HP is pulling some big switcheroo on us and now they are going to start making webOS devices again, it just doesn't make since. I think they want out of the device business and that is what they intend to do.

    I do however believe that the fire sale was a marketing strategy intended to create a consumer frenzy with the hope that it would peak interest from would be suitors to buy the OS (HTC, Samsung). Face it, HP could have priced these devices for $199 or even $249 and still cleared them out with minimized loss. They are selling like hot cakes on Ebay for this price point. And while they would have sold quickly at these prices, there wouldn't have been lines at every store to get one.

    I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face, even the biggest ******, that they truly believe $99 was the price point that had to be hit before these would sell. However, this probably is the point you would have to hit to cause the frenzy that we witnessed. In that respect, HP has accomplished their goal, now we just have to wait and see if anyone bites and picks up WebOS.
    I agree that it's some sort of ploy but the only thing I can't understand is why the biggest most successful non-Apple consumer laptop manufacturer simply wants to spin off or sell off it's entire PC industry. I can't put my finger on it.

    As far as webOS yes it's true this could be a play at the suitors, but wouldn't it make more sense for them to just stick to their investment and see where it goes now that there's all this hype?
  6. #86  
    While I for sure don't think HP did this on purpose, but they have changed the tablet market forever in one way: price.

    Not long after the firesale, Amazon announced they are coming out with Android Tablet(s) in the $200-$300 range. They will also boast it being the best tablet for reading (Kindle app). Amazon realizes that there is a huge market for lower priced, but not low quality, tablets.

    HP has announced today that they are going to do a small update to webOS in the future, and give away some apps (they compensate the devs). They also mentioned the possibility of licensing webOS to other companies (possibly Samsung) and there is speculation that HP might sell Palm to another company. So webOS might have a future.

    Regardless of webOS's future, other companies will come out with more affordable tablets that aren't useless or undesirable.
    DRFP likes this.
  7. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #87  
    One problem here Leo is not that smart
  8. #88  
    I think HP just made a mistake, or many. Sure it costs 318 to build, but if sold at 299 just to get folks interested a great marketing device to get a lot of apps out and a strong dev community. (absorbed into marketing costs) They balked and priced too low too soon. You guys give HP too much credit. It was not forward thinking, just a hot mess.

    How long did the xbox bleed microsoft? a long time.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by justin108 View Post
    How long did the xbox bleed microsoft? a long time.
    But what's the breakdown of the sales figures for current generation systems: Wii, 360, then PS3. Sony dominated for SO long, but now Microsoft has usurped them. 360 has sold 55 million while PS3 has sold 50 million (worldwide). Sure 360 has had a bit of a head start and hasn't CRUSHED Sony, but they are at least neck and neck.

    And the Wii is the best selling of them all. Why? Innovation...and..drumroll please...PRICING! It's the cheapest one with the most innovative and intuitive hardware. Sounds like the best of both worlds there.
  10.    #90  
    Looks like RIM is starting to follow suit. And Amazon too. I'm telling you people Apple has got to be "pooping" themselves now with this pricing scheme. Guarantee we see the iPad 3 come in at $399 starting price. They can't afford to let this get out of hand.
  11.    #91  
    Can I please get a hell yeah? And can someone please sate me and tell me I was right?

    http://m.precentral.net/hp-briefly-s...-future-market
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Looks like RIM is starting to follow suit. And Amazon too. I'm telling you people Apple has got to be "pooping" themselves now with this pricing scheme. Guarantee we see the iPad 3 come in at $399 starting price. They can't afford to let this get out of hand.
    Apple doesn't care, either they try to continue as the "premium" brand like they do with PCs or they drop their price to compete for units with the margins they had from the previous two generations banked and a very profitable content system that a lot of people have and continue to buy into.

    Apple's been double-dipping thus far and losing one side still keeps them in a good place even if it's isn't as good as it was before.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions