1.    #1  
    I just got my new Touchpad directly from HP today and noticed that images with gradients don't exactly look great. There is significant color banding in nearly every image that has a gradient (including the swirling progress indicator). I understand that the panel is a lower bit depth (18-bit) than some competitors, but the extent to which I am experiencing it seems rather pronounced. It appears as though everything is rendered with 16-bit color. I'm just curious if this is normal or if my model is showing some kind of anomaly. Thanks in advance!
    I'm seeing this too.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    I'm seeing this too.
    Anyone else?
    It's a known issue with the implementation of their graphics driver. Don't expect a fix.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    It's a known issue with the implementation of their graphics driver. Don't expect a fix.
    Hmm... I searched around and hadn't seen anyone mention this before. Was this discussed extensively? I did see a lot of hand-wringing about the color depth issue in late June, but nothing after the TP was actually released. Also, don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the major reviews.

I also just called WebOS support before you posted this and sent them a picture of what I am seeing. Maybe mine is worse than the rest because they are offering to repair it. If I'm being entirely honest, it looks really bad. All of the backgrounds included and any photos I bring up look like a mess of swirling bands of color.
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eeinmd View Post
    Hmm... I searched around and hadn't seen anyone mention this before. Was this discussed extensively? I did see a lot of hand-wringing about the color depth issue in late June, but nothing after the TP was actually released. Also, don't recall seeing this mentioned in any of the major reviews.

I also just called WebOS support before you posted this and sent them a picture of what I am seeing. Maybe mine is worse than the rest because they are offering to repair it. If I'm being entirely honest, it looks really bad. All of the backgrounds included and any photos I bring up look like a mess of swirling bands of color.
    Send it in for repair.
    Have you updated to 3.0.2? What I meant by a known issue is that it has been discussed on the developer boards that webOS's WebKit implementation has issues with rendering gradients. It is mostly fixed in the release version of webOS on the TouchPad, and should only pop-up when certain kinds of gradients are being rendered dynamically. If you are seeing it on every gradient, including static images, it is probably an issue with your Pad.

Sorry for creating confusion.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Have you updated to 3.0.2? What I meant by a known issue is that it has been discussed on the developer boards that webOS's WebKit implementation has issues with rendering gradients. It is mostly fixed in the release version of webOS on the TouchPad, and should only pop-up when certain kinds of gradients are being rendered dynamically. If you are seeing it on every gradient, including static images, it is probably an issue with your Pad.

Sorry for creating confusion.
    Thank you for the clarification! I have installed the latest update and even tried the doctor to no avail. It is occurring in all images and the various parts of the UI that have gradients, so I am going to follow through with the repair. Luckily it seems like this is not widespread so I hope when I get it back it's a keeper. I hope to get it back very soon, because other than this nitpick it definitely a winner considering what I paid for it.
    I personally think you'll be dissapointed with your "repair" as there is noting to repair. Im pretty sure you're refering to the card/app gradients when they're launching. That's normal.

I see so many people willing to return their touchpad just days after going through hell to get one, for the most minute/insignificant problem..if it really indeed is a real issue/problem to begin with..