Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By racingfreak92
  • 2 Post By Tarzanman
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I was having issues over the past day with getting videos to play smoothly with the default TP player. Here's the solution that I've found is working really well so far.

I use DVD rips for this process. To rip DVD's I use DVD Shrink, which removes any protection that might be on the disc. You can find it here - Download DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 (freeware) - AfterDawn: Software downloads

To manually rip a movie, open DVD shrink. From there click "open disc" in the top left corner of the task bar and choose the disk drive accordingly. It will scan the disc, this takes 30 seconds to a few minutes depending on your computer speed. From there, click the "Re-author" button that's on the top task bar. In the navigation below you will see Menus, Main Movie, and Extras. Drag "Title 1" under Main Movie over to the "DVD Compilation" window directly on the left (there may be multiple titles if you're doing a season rip). From there you can choose to shorten the video if you want by trimming parts from the beginning and the end. To do that click the parallel arrows button on the top right corner of that window. Now go back and click "compression settings" on the top left corner of the right window. From here you can choose whichever audio tracks and subtitles you might want or need. You can also choose video compression, however I recommend you stay in "Automatic."

Before we move any further, go to edit>preferences. We need to make sure you have a few settings in check. In the third tab called "output files," make sure you have "Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks (recommended)" UNCLICKED. This will make your video file 1 large file instead of 2-3 smaller ones. Click ok and exit out of preferences.

After you've made your own changes (if any), click the backup button. Under "select backup targer" be sure to choose hard disk folder and then below you can choose the desired folder output. I always make it the Desktop to make my life easier. Make sure "create video_TS and audio_ts subfolders" is unclicked and click OK. It will rip the movie file to the folder you chose. After you are done, you will have multiple files. Delete all but the main VOB file.

Now on to the next step, Handbrake. This is a program that converts your large VOB file into a smaller, watchable file on your Touchpad. You can get it here - HandBrake

After install open Handbrake. Start by clicking "Source" in the top left corner and choosing either video file or folder. You can do whichever if you want to do a batch conversion. From there, you can choose your destination folder under the "destination" area on the main screen. On the right side you will see a presets area, click "iPad." Under "output settings" in container choose "MP4 File," the box for large file size should be checked. Now for additional tweaking, I noticed that on some movies that had a 5.1 audio track, that the playback on the TP was funky and left out some audio. So under the "audio" tap mid way down the screen you will see the audio track information. Under "audio codec" choose MP3 (lame) and mixdown change to "stereo." Now for bitrate I choose 256kbps. Once you are finished, and have the correct destination and settings dialed in click the "Start" button near the top left corner and it will do the conversion.

Once Handbrake is done converting, the finished file will be in your designated output folder. Final file sizes should be relatively small. An hour and a half movie ended up being right around 800-850 MB respectively and a 22 minute episode of Family Guy ended up at 120-140 MB. So far I've had great luck with this and movie files are playing excellently. I prefer to install the video files in the "downloads" folder which is in the main TP directly when in USB Drive mode. Good luck guys, if you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Snapshots:

NOTE - This same process should work with 720p/1080p movie files as well however I haven't tested this quite yet.
    Last edited by MattV; 08/24/2011 at 09:48 PM.
    I used your settings last night on a 1080p MKV, but playback was choppy when playing it back on the TP.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    I used your settings last night on a 1080p MKV, but playback was choppy when playing it back on the TP.
    I am also having issues with choppy playback (720p) and after encoding it at least 10 different ways I am guessing its a software (player) and/or hardware issue.

Also....for those looking to tag their .mp4 Movies or TV videos with coverart, I found a nifty little program called MetaX. It tags your video file with a DVD cover and displays it in the TP video album.

MetaX - tag your movies so they display in iTunes/Apple TV/Front Row
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Great post!
    I use DVD-Fab then DVD Shrink then VideoRedo to put the videos on my home server. My other combination is to use AnyDVD HD (or regular AnyDVD), and DVD Shrink together, then VideoRedo or HandBreak depending on where I'm placing the video (home server, mobile device).
    While I admire your efforts I need to say you should go into more detail.

For one, I am not a big fan of handbrake, its not very fast, and its not so great as a general purpose converter. I would reccommend using Freemake Video Converter. Its free as the name suggests and is like the VLC or encoders, it does everything. You can still choose iPad as a preset or do a custom preset and pick all your options. Since the touchpad screen is 1024x768 there is no point in encoding a video to be higher resolution than that (so 720p and 1080p videos are really unnecessary, you cannot see the difference).
    For the video bitrate and audio bitrate you want to make sure you are not choosing something higher than the source file. For example MattV recommended choosing a 256kbps audio bitrate, however if your source file only has a 128kbps bitrate you may just end up with a larger file and no increase in quality.

You can see the video (also called data) and audio bitrates in windows explorer by right clicking on the file and clicking properties, and then going to the details tab.
    Dont set the video or audio bitrate higher than the source file. In other cases you will want to set them lower. For instance, if you have a 720p video the bitrate is likely 2000-4000kbps, there is no need for such high quality on a touchpad video. Im no expert on video encoding but I would think that a range of 500-1200 would be fine (500 for lower quality and smaller file size, 1200 for best quality and larger file size, or anything inbetween for a combination of both).

For audio bitrate I would recommend staying at or under 192kbps. While the touchpad does have good speakers, they are still only tiny stereo speakers. Since most video content is just people talking there is no need for very high quality stuff. If you are not very sensitive to audio quality go for 128kbps, thats what I usually use and it still sound good. If you would consider yourself an "audiophile" (you probably dont need to read this if you are) than I guess you could go as high as 256kbps. But again, dont go higher than the source material.

For audio channels always choose stereo. The touchpad only has two speakers, and even with headphones you are still only getting two channels. 5.1 will only increase your filesize and cause problems with the playback.

The touchpads default video player only supports "Video formats: MPEG-4 (H.263, H.264 encoded)" and "DRM-free MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV" for audio codecs. If you want expanded support buy the Kaleemsoft Media Player app.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I would like to add that after using Kalemsoft for the converted files, playback is a lot better.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes, but paying $8 for an app that just plays videos is a tough sell to those of us who are used to tablets and phones (and video game consoles) that have hardware support for multiple codecs out of the box.

HP/Palm dropped the ball with video on this tablet.
    bichenoubi and jjodon like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
    Yes, but paying $8 for an app that just plays videos is a tough sell to those of us who are used to tablets and phones (and video game consoles) that have hardware support for multiple codecs out of the box.

HP/Palm dropped the ball with video on this tablet.
    It's not just a video player, you can set it up to stream over wifi from your computer too. Before people complain about spending only $8 on an app that adds a lot of functionality and probably took the developer(s) weeks to figure out, test it out. If you've downloaded Preware you can try a demo of KalemSoft Player for 1 week from the developer's website; check out the KalemSoft thread to find out how.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Like I said, my other tablet has DLNA built in. My PS3 can also stream from my computer.

It is something that HP should address with an update.
    For those using Handbrake to do videos, I found on another thread if you set b-frames to 0 in the advanced tab videos will play smoothly in the stock player. I can confirm this, I was able to convert three 1080p mkvs to mp4s and they play like buttah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
    Like I said, my other tablet has DLNA built in. My PS3 can also stream from my computer.

It is something that HP should address with an update.
    Understood but HP wasn't secretive about what you were getting out of the box.

FWIW, Kalemsoft does work well. They also have a free demo of their player at their website. I normally use Handbrake if and when I need to convert my videos and it works really well and it's free.

However, since using Kalemsoft, I really don't need to convert my videos anymore. I can now watch divx and avi vids (I have many of these) w/o having to do anything at all to them.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Kalemsoft
    this is the said program one should have to watch videos correct?

what is the format of videos supported on the touchpad. Many of my files are over 4 gb anyway and I want to convert them so they are smaller in size and can be transfered.

they are HD and I need to tone them down I have read there is lag.

thanks all

any recommended video conversion programs?
    <threads merged>
    I am not so great on this video conversion.

so curious what should be the best possible setting for a 720p video or 1080p when i'm converting down

This is an example of a Input File (source)
    Video Codec: H.264/avc
    Framesize: 1920 x 800 pixels
    Bitrate: 5672 kbps
    frame rate: 23:976 frames/second

Audio codex; dts
    sample rate and size: 4800 hz 16 bit
    bitrate 1536 kbps
    channels 6

SO WHEN I convert it what should I have.
    This is what I picked.

Video
    Video Codec: H.264/AVC
    frame size: 640 / 420
    Bitrate: 1200
    frame rate: 30 fps

Audio
    Audio codec: mpeg-2/4 audio
    sample rate: 48000 HZ
    size: 16 bit
    Bitrate: 128 kbps
    Channel Stero

Thanks
    any suggestion anyone?
    Load a movie, click the iPad setting then go to the advanced tab. Change b-frames to 0 and you'll be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnewbie View Post
    Kalemsoft
    this is the said program one should have to watch videos correct?

what is the format of videos supported on the touchpad. Many of my files are over 4 gb anyway and I want to convert them so they are smaller in size and can be transfered.

they are HD and I need to tone them down I have read there is lag.

thanks all

any recommended video conversion programs?

I'm using AVS video Convertor

And basically any HD or 720p or 1080p movies I have, i'm turning them into M4V. So far it looks amazing.

took at 10 gig 1080p DTS Movie and turned it down to 1.3gig files with settings of mentioned below and it looks brilliant!!!!...

I can then use the NATIVE Built in player to view it
    I can use Kalmesoft if you want..Or even TOUCHPLAYER
    It works with all.

Video
    Video Codec: H.264/AVC
    frame size: 640 / 420
    Bitrate: 1200
    frame rate: 30 fps

Audio
    Audio codec: mpeg-2/4 audio
    sample rate: 48000 HZ
    size: 16 bit
    Bitrate: 128 kbps
    Channel Stero
    The other nice thing kalemsoft does beyond streaming video off your computer is it allows you to setup channels to video input devices on your computer. So for instance if you have a webcam, you can set this up as a channel and then remotely view your webcam, or if you have a video input card (IE a tv card) you can set this up as a channel and view the TV card. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but for 6 bucks (someone exaggerated the real price) it's not too bad. For me, this is the best answer to video playback at this time. Although it does have some issues, just open a ticket from their site and they are prompt to reply.
    I add cover art to the videos I convert with iTunes.