Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    o.k. I got my HP BT keyboard today. The TP is in its touchstone dock, sitting at a nice angle, this neat lil keyboard sitting right in front.

With the ability to map into my work network (thanks for the ptpp VPN patch) and actually access work documents with editing capability this could replace my home desktop in a minute. Its the future. I still need my desktop to watch live tv on, but that's about it. At work I still need a windows machine to do accounting, time and billing etc. But this is the future. Who cares that this is still early in its evolution.

What absolute total idiots to walk away from the future. I think I will sell my HP stock. Who was that talked of the "dustbin of history" (don't tell me I do know)? HP will join the likes of Studebaker and Enron, making the likes of the Adam (remember that?) and the Edsel.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    geekpeter and untitled like this.
    HP is the new Oldsmobile. HP's still supporting and says they will keep working with the actual webOS software... here's to hoping they keep themselves from becoming a footnote in tech history.
    The TouchPad now is the tech world's most amazing, spectacular failure. Hundreds of thousands of people will get countless hours of joy from it, and in the process HP is losing crazy amounts of money.

Tech heads will still be talking about this past weekend 50 years from now.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Sitting in my rocker many many years from now gumming some grapes saying "Remember the summer HP dumped all those TouchPads on the market?". Watching the grandkids play with hologram images of their friends live via WWW8 and HTML16 systems. It will be like looking back and remembering the original Pong games and how cheap they were the next year.
    untitled, johncase3 and kjb86 like this.
    I was thnking about this earlier today. HP, particularly PSD, is like GM, Ford and Chrysler three years ago. Mostly about low cost manufacturing, marketing and distribution - not innovative design. Putting Palm in this organization was a mistake.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    o.k. I got my HP BT keyboard today. The TP is in its touchstone dock, sitting at a nice angle, this neat lil keyboard sitting right in front.

With the ability to map into my work network (thanks for the ptpp VPN patch) and actually access work documents with editing capability this could replace my home desktop in a minute. Its the future. I still need my desktop to watch live tv on, but that's about it. At work I still need a windows machine to do accounting, time and billing etc. But this is the future. Who cares that this is still early in its evolution.

What absolute total idiots to walk away from the future. I think I will sell my HP stock. Who was that talked of the "dustbin of history" (don't tell me I do know)? HP will join the likes of Studebaker and Enron, making the likes of the Adam (remember that?) and the Edsel.
    They're leaving hardware because they realize that it's no longer a winning game for them. They're pulling an IBM and spinning off their hardware divisions and focusing 100% on software and services. You say that tablets are the future, but almost every point you made was regarding the software it's running.

WebOS isn't dead, HP will keep developing it and hopefully this flood of touchpads to the masses will give help to bring it out of the limelight and into the public eye. Most people had never heard of WebOS before this past weekend, and honestly I'm shocked at how much attention this firesale got.

Android as a TabletOS right now isn't anywhere close to touching iOS, WebOS has been the only close competitor, and I really hope to see this move be a positive one for it.
    All you need is bluetooth mouse support and your set.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I was thnking about this earlier today. HP, particularly PSD, is like GM, Ford and Chrysler three years ago. Mostly about low cost manufacturing, marketing and distribution - not innovative design. Putting Palm in this organization was a mistake.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Totally agree--HP never really thought about what was involved in running Palm and WebOS--requires good engineers and the desire to put time and money into the products. They made a very typical "knee jerk" reaction to a misunderstood reaction to the TP. Very typical of a public company reacting to commentary without doing what they should have done. They had no business buying Palm. Someone should be fired--this really was a huge blunder and they still don't know what to do. Retailers around the world must be pulling their hair out.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by phossil View Post
    They're leaving hardware because they realize that it's no longer a winning game for them. They're pulling an IBM and spinning off their hardware divisions and focusing 100% on software and services. You say that tablets are the future, but almost every point you made was regarding the software it's running.

WebOS isn't dead, HP will keep developing it and hopefully this flood of touchpads to the masses will give help to bring it out of the limelight and into the public eye. Most people had never heard of WebOS before this past weekend, and honestly I'm shocked at how much attention this firesale got.

Android as a TabletOS right now isn't anywhere close to touching iOS, WebOS has been the only close competitor, and I really hope to see this move be a positive one for it.
    The Galaxy Tab 10 already hit a million and was called the fastest selling tab in usa and the UK since the ipad.

Also Im pretty sure the nook color has moved more units than all the touchpads sold.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    All you need is bluetooth mouse support and your set.
    I take it this just isn't possible with the Touchpad no matter what? Even homebrew wise?
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    HelloNNNewman, love the avatar.

But, back to the topic, I realize my post was about the software, but it has to have hardware to run on. What apple has mastered (perhaps too well) is the vertical integration of good hardware and software to run on it. HP could put together an integrated ecosystem that would have been tops. They had the power and money to absorb the creation of the ecosystem and reap the profits as adolescent system matured. Its called long term planning and investment (but here at p|c we already knew that).

Like I said, finish giving me access to my work files and the ability to edit the documents and my laptop is history. Right now, I can do i on the TP, but gotta copy documents out to google docs and then get em back again. Apple would never give me that into my windows based office network, would they? Its a natural for HP and their entire preexisting ecosystem.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I used to work for U.S. Robotics. At the time they owned Palm. 3Com bought USR. HP bought 3Com. Makes me wonder if the same guy that green-lighted the Touchpad was also the same guy that green-lighted the Audrey. That product was such a failure that few people outside USR actually know it existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    I used to work for U.S. Robotics.
    Did you ever meet Susan Calvin?
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Quote Originally Posted by phossil View Post
    and what exactly are you basing your assertion on because all the statistical numbers say the exact opposite.

prior to the firesale webOS had barely made a dent in the tablet market and even after the dust settles when the touchpads are all sold out, unless someone steps up and buys webOS and can brings a successful product to market, android will still be in the #2 position by a sizeable margin.
    Last edited by filmbuff; 08/24/2011 at 09:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I would have liked to see a company that is willing to take loss just to get the market share needed. webOS would thrive under a company that could just throw money at it and sell units at a loss.

For example Microsoft who has sold many products at a loss, like the Xbox, just to get to where they are now. They continue to take many losses int here new mobile market too, but push through it to get a product that will be very profitable or hopefully will be. Personally I would have like to see some one like MS pick up webOS I love my WP7, but a MS based webOS I would have preferred.

I still think the Palm name was better than the HP name, especially dealing with business related functions.

(Can't wait for my Touchpad to arrive, if they ever ship it!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I take it this just isn't possible with the Touchpad no matter what? Even homebrew wise?
    It has Bluetooth, therefore, using a BT mouse is theoretically possible. All it takes is a motivated programmer or 3.
    if microsoft is going to enter the tablet market, it's likely going to be based on a variant of windows (win8?). i don't see them doing a complete 180 and acquiring webOS.

let's hope that Samsung or HTC step up to the plate. FYI, HTC just announced the upcoming release of their new 10" android-based tablet. a 7" tablet will be coming out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by glamdring View Post
    For example Microsoft who has sold many products at a loss, like the Xbox, just to get to where they are now. They continue to take many losses int here new mobile market too, but push through it to get a product that will be very profitable or hopefully will be. Personally I would have like to see some one like MS pick up webOS I love my WP7, but a MS based webOS I would have preferred.

I still think the Palm name was better than the HP name, especially dealing with business related functions.

(Can't wait for my Touchpad to arrive, if they ever ship it!)
    Last edited by filmbuff; 08/24/2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
    if microsoft is going to enter the tablet market, it's likely going to be based on a variant of windows (win8?). i don't see them doing a complete 180 and acquiring webOS.
    The preview of Windows 8 that I saw looked much more like a tablet OS than a desktop OS.
    It's just a shame that they never really gave the touchpad other new devices a chance. I mean for petes sake this isn't a company that couldn't afford to let things mature. I could see if this was palm when they were on the verge of going bankruptcy. HP didn't even give this a chance to work at all! Who kills a product after being on the market less than 2 months? After spending hundreds of millions of dollars to bring it to market in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    HP didn't even give this a chance to work at all! Who kills a product after being on the market less than 2 months? After spending hundreds of millions of dollars to bring it to market in the first place.
    Good point. Even the guys who made that JooJoo tablet disaster are trying again, and their clever marketing campaign got people to take another look. HP could've done something similar with a TP 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast