Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
    if microsoft is going to enter the tablet market, it's likely going to be based on a variant of windows (win8?). i don't see them doing a complete 180 and acquiring webOS.

let's hope that Samsung or HTC step up to the plate. FYI, HTC just announced the upcoming release of their new 9.7 android-based tablet. a 7" tablet will be coming out as well.
    HTC would be a best case scenario but I don't think they're interested especially after Leo the nut has screwed this up so badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    The TouchPad now is the tech world's most amazing, spectacular failure. Hundreds of thousands of people will get countless hours of joy from it, and in the process HP is losing crazy amounts of money.

Tech heads will still be talking about this past weekend 50 years from now.
    If they would just HP some of these desktops and laptops things would be even better
    I work for HP and I find what was done very embarrassing. I was totally talking up the Touchpad to many friends and actually purchase one for a buddy. The best case scenario would be for HP to sell webos and let another company have a fresh start with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trowany View Post
    If they would just HP some of these desktops and laptops things would be even better
    Yeah that would be epic! $99 sandybridge desktop system for the win!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericw View Post
    I work for HP and I find what was done very embarrassing. I was totally talking up the Touchpad to many friends and actually purchase one for a buddy. The best case scenario would be for HP to sell webos and let another company have a fresh start with it.
    Your probably right but they'll most likely kill it and keep the patents instead of actually doing the right thing. I still have hope that it will somehow end up in the right hands eventually.
    If there was anyone left with any brains at all at Nokia, they would buy this. They should go to HP and ask for the Veer, the Pre3, and all three touchpads. All three cellular devices have gone through regulatory approval, all devices have subcontractors and manufacturers. If I were Nokia, I would ask for it all. All they would need to do is change the silkscreen to Nokia. This would instantly make them the #2 tablet maker and give them a decent smartphone line for the future.

The sad thing about this is that if HP had done this on purpose, they would be geniuses. If they used 1 weekend of predatory pricing to clear the channel of excess inventory, solve the chicken and egg problem of apps vs userbase , sabotage the sales of the competition for months, and solidify themselves as the dominant iPad competitor after only a few months in the market, they would deserve such accolades.
    Nokia already got in bed with microsoft so I'm pretty sure they're hands are tied but it would make for some very interesting times moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    It's just a shame that they never really gave the touchpad other new devices a chance. I mean for petes sake this isn't a company that couldn't afford to let things mature. I could see if this was palm when they were on the verge of going bankruptcy. HP didn't even give this a chance to work at all! Who kills a product after being on the market less than 2 months? After spending hundreds of millions of dollars to bring it to market in the first place.
    i wouldn't try to make sense of it because the tale of HP is like a tale of two cities - the old management [which acquired Palm], and the newer management which had a completely different mindset.
    the tale of HP is like a tale of two cities - the old management [which acquired Palm], and the newer management which had a completely different mindset.
    I understand the new guard wanting to put their stamp on the company, but damn, this is an expensive way to do it.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    if microsoft is going to enter the tablet market, it's likely going to be based on a variant of windows (win8?). i don't see them doing a complete 180 and acquiring webOS.

let's hope that Samsung or HTC step up to the plate. FYI, HTC just announced the upcoming release of their new 10" android-based tablet. a 7" tablet will be coming out as well.
    I wasn't talking about tablets, if you watch one of the recent videos on Windows 8 its already built around tablets and touch screen computers with a toggle to get back to standard windows. Personally I prefer Windows tablets even with just Windows 7 due to the greater ability of the tablet. Most tablets are just like giant cell phones, as compared to a Windows tablet is well a Windows computer.

I'm not to interested in Tablets, maybe if Windows 8 is amazing. I would however like to see a really good webOS cell phone, I was waiting on the pre 3 and now I'm upset about it not coming to the US!
    Quote Originally Posted by midas69 View Post
    I used to work for U.S. Robotics. At the time they owned Palm. 3Com bought USR. HP bought 3Com. Makes me wonder if the same guy that green-lighted the Touchpad was also the same guy that green-lighted the Audrey. That product was such a failure that few people outside USR actually know it existed.
    I had a Audrey, which like the TouchPad I bought in the firesale. It was pretty nice, apart from the godawful screen. Ran QNX as well like the BB Playbook. Toyed with it for a few months before sticking it on eBay and making an $50 profit.

I wonder if the same thing will happen with my TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    well this was on a webOS training site that HP runs

HP remains committed to the future of webOS platform

HP has made the decision not to continue developing webOS devices. However, the company is deeply committed to the future of the webOS platform. HP is also fully committed to the ongoing support and service of customers who purchased webOS devices. We will honor our product warranties and will continue to provide market leading support via services such as webOS Butler, our free setup support service available to all purchasers of HP webOS products for the first 90 days after purchase.

Furthermore, HP intends to enhance the webOS platform and ecosystem and support, innovate and develop applications that deliver relevant and compelling benefits to the markets in which we compete. HP TouchPad owners can look forward to a continued delightful experience, over-the-air updates that enhance the platform and add functionality and a growing applications catalog.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12