Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    HP customer support for Palm products and HP WebOS products. Call them.

877-426-3777
    6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Mon. – Fri.

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
    Sat – Sun.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    any updates on this issue?

I have the same problem and is wondering what HP will do for us.

Thanks!
    After 2 days with Tech Support...they are sending me a box for repair. It is a hardware issue.
    do you have to wait for a replacement?

If they don't have any in stock to sell, are they giving out refurbished as replacements?

Thanks!
  5.    #25  
    Been in touch with a fab tech support member today. Went through step for erasing and restoring the device..issue still persists with the same symptoms. He inferred it was a hardware fault and the support team will be in touch within a week to either repair or replace the device. That's the latest from me
    I also have the same issue with a 32Gig. Talked on the phone with HP and after that redundant phone call, chatted through the TouchPad with someone else from support and they did the same whole "did you try everything?", "it's only supported right now through skype" (which the person on the phone told me that I'd have to download the camera app...I had already downloaded and tried the 3 free ones). After telling him every message I got (it helps that I could actually perform these tests and tell them the "Camera failed to initialize with error 4" message while talking to him at the same time...loving the UI even more because of that) He informed me of my 3 options (the reason I'm posting):

1. They'll send an email in 24 hours describing the procedure of them sending me a box and shipping it back (approx 3-5 days), waiting however many days (5-7 I think?) then I guess them sending it back (another 3-5? I am sure they also have the power to send either a refurb or a new one if they choose to). This option is the ONLY free option.

2. They'll perform the same procedure as above but for a cost of $29.99 they'll speed it up (if I remember correctly the shipping part is expedited to 1-2 days somewhere in there).

3. For $50? (I am sorry I didn't pay attention to the actual cost, I was instead listening to the difference of what they would do for that money lol) They would ship me the same box but would send a refurb one as soon as they received mine.

I chose the first option due to the fact that I already paid more for it than the regular "sale" price on amazon (I got screwed over by OnSale @ Amazon...and I was one of the few people just trying to get one for myself and not make a profit re-selling or arming my family with tablets so once my money was taken out the same day I didn't look any further...don't rub it in lol but at least I didn't pay over $250). And I'm in no rush since I'll have time to start developing my apps to share.

Tried everything I could, searched everywhere I could. This is the only forum with a good convo on this topic I could find. I'm sure we aren't the only few with the issue, just no one is taking the time to talk about it. For owners that are reading this, keep in mind that this is an accelerated discontinued product...WE are the real support for our issues and WE will be the ones that will have to add apps, hacks, etc. to the community that had already existed before this rat race. Do what you can to help...
    Last edited by InSaiyanOne; 09/06/2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added error 4 message to help others find this forum and conversation
    Hi, I have the same issue in Skype, that I can make a call but cant send or receive video. I think this is a skype issue.

I downloaded a simple camera app from the App catalog called "FreeCam for ToucPpad" and as soon as I start this app I see myself in full moving colour through the camera.

So I know the camera works, it must be a software issue.

I havn't had time to raise this with the HP helpdesk, but will post an update once I do.

Ibtw, I also test my skype account on a windows laptop with a biult in camera and that works fine.

32gb Touchpad UK.
    I updated SW after unboxing (had 2/3 battery so I did not give a full charge on open), added apps including a couple free camera apps & set up Skype. No camera function in any app. Thought I might have to send in for repair

After reading the web, I put the TP on the Touchstone overnight for full charge. Then again from these threads did a shutdown and restart. The camera then worked! Whew.

Won't work for everyone but possibly a few.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffo View Post
    Hi, I have the same issue in Skype, that I can make a call but cant send or receive video. I think this is a skype issue.

I downloaded a simple camera app from the App catalog called "FreeCam for ToucPpad" and as soon as I start this app I see myself in full moving colour through the camera.

So I know the camera works, it must be a software issue.

I havn't had time to raise this with the HP helpdesk, but will post an update once I do.

Ibtw, I also test my skype account on a windows laptop with a biult in camera and that works fine.

32gb Touchpad UK.
    Hi TheKitty,
    Have you checked your account settings for Skype on the TP? You will have to enable video call feature and hopefully this will resolve your issue..
    Last edited by RK2011; 09/07/2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Addressed to Toffo
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaiyanOne View Post
    I also have the same issue with a 32Gig. Talked on the phone with HP and after that redundant phone call, chatted through the TouchPad with someone else from support and they did the same whole "did you try everything?", "it's only supported right now through skype" (which the person on the phone told me that I'd have to download the camera app...I had already downloaded and tried the 3 free ones). After telling him every message I got (it helps that I could actually perform these tests and tell them the "Camera failed to initialize with error 4" message while talking to him at the same time...loving the UI even more because of that) He informed me of my 3 options (the reason I'm posting):

1. They'll send an email in 24 hours describing the procedure of them sending me a box and shipping it back (approx 3-5 days), waiting however many days (5-7 I think?) then I guess them sending it back (another 3-5? I am sure they also have the power to send either a refurb or a new one if they choose to). This option is the ONLY free option.

2. They'll perform the same procedure as above but for a cost of $29.99 they'll speed it up (if I remember correctly the shipping part is expedited to 1-2 days somewhere in there).

3. For $50? (I am sorry I didn't pay attention to the actual cost, I was instead listening to the difference of what they would do for that money lol) They would ship me the same box but would send a refurb one as soon as they received mine.

I chose the first option due to the fact that I already paid more for it than the regular "sale" price on amazon (I got screwed over by OnSale @ Amazon...and I was one of the few people just trying to get one for myself and not make a profit re-selling or arming my family with tablets so once my money was taken out the same day I didn't look any further...don't rub it in lol but at least I didn't pay over $250). And I'm in no rush since I'll have time to start developing my apps to share.

Tried everything I could, searched everywhere I could. This is the only forum with a good convo on this topic I could find. I'm sure we aren't the only few with the issue, just no one is taking the time to talk about it. For owners that are reading this, keep in mind that this is an accelerated discontinued product...WE are the real support for our issues and WE will be the ones that will have to add apps, hacks, etc. to the community that had already existed before this rat race. Do what you can to help...
    Ditto..
    The courier picked up the parcel today to be delivered to the service centre in NSW - who will review and either repair or replace if not repairable. I am already missing my dear touchpad now
    Let us know when you got your exchange/repair touchpad. I am still holding off to see if someone can solve this problem efficiently.
    Hi Everyone,

This is a very weird. First my camera works for few times and it gives me an error message afterwards. So I did few following step in order:

1) Restart
    2) Reset
    3) Download the camera apps again and still giving me error message
    4) Battery is about 70% I charge the touchpad overnight. Still error message.
    5) Install Preware and camera error message.
    6) Doctor it using WEBOS 3.0. (Downgrade)
    7) Update the WebOs 3.0.2
    8) Download camera apps.
    9) I decided to let my touchpad to low battery level (7%) and charge overnight
    10) Test the camera apps again and still error message.
    11) After 5 days, I download a non-camera apps from HP catalog.
    12) Camera works again.
    13) I download about 10 free apps from HP catalog.
    14) Camera ERROR message again.

I think it might be software issue/conflict.
    So I just got two touchpads in today, and one of them had this same issue. Both of them, I didn't really bother charging all the way, but was charging while I was updating/etc. One of them, I downloaded one of the free camera apps and it worked flawlessly. The other one had the error 4 message. I did the same software updates for both. So I figured it had to be hardware. After finding this thread, I became pretty disheartened as I would have to warranty it. I then found a site that shows you how to replace the camera, and then from the looks of it, I thought well, let me try to press on the area around the camera and see if I can't re-seat the connection. Thinking maybe it wasn't connected all the way. I then ran the camera app right after I applied pressure around the camera, and to my surprise, it worked! I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I had tried everything, including topping off the battery, resetting to factory, using webos doctor. Nothing worked until I applied pressure around and right on the camera. Just don't press too hard and break the screen. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe it might help. Good luck!
    normsland likes this.
  14.    #34  
    Got a replacement for my touchpad today..the service centre could not diagnose the issue with the camera after two weeks of trials; finally gave up and issued a new one! The new one is working absly fine..
    Quote Originally Posted by RK2011 View Post
    Team,
    I cant get the camera to work on my touchpad. Started using Skype and noticed no video from my side. The space where I should be seeing my view appears as a blank square.

I have already tried the following:
    > numerous restarts
    > installed the DigiCamera Lite app number of times - the app freezes or displays a message saying "Digicam error 4, restart the app". No change even after restarts and reinstalls. BTW DigiCamera lite was the only camera app that was available, I would have thought there was more!!
    > Skype configuration settings are all looking good (allows for video calls)
    > tried different Skype accounts all returning the same issue
    > HP Live chat was useless - the 'consultant' rudely ended the chat session saying "it will work" (thanks "Marcus" (sic))

I have a laptop and I can see the image when accepting the call on the touch pad but cannot see the image from the touchpad on the laptop.
    Was there anything that can diagnose and fix the issue?
    Please help!! I am so desparate for a resolution.
    Try pressing on the camera and the back cover at the same time. I found this on another site and it worked for me. Great craftsmanship .........
    One thing after another. I'm sorry to say guys but this device is terrible. I have a laundry list of issues with this stupid Touchpad. And the final straw is the camera. Top of the battery? That's a ridiculous way to fix a camera issue but I'm charging it now. I'm going to completely wipe this touchpad and if it starts to work again I'm going to sell this thing. This is ridiculous.
    I am having the same problems. They are sending me a box right now so they can fix it.

After reading this thread, I decided to apply some pressure around the camera and it starts working while I am pinching the Touchpad to either side of the camera.
    So i just pressed around the camera and gave it one hard tap right on the lens and the ISH turned on! Even got Skype to work! Now, I'm wondering if i should report this to HP so that at least its on record that my camera is wonky. Guess we'll see how it goes over the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitty View Post
    I updated SW after unboxing (had 2/3 battery so I did not give a full charge on open), added apps including a couple free camera apps & set up Skype. No camera function in any app. Thought I might have to send in for repair

After reading the web, I put the TP on the Touchstone overnight for full charge. Then again from these threads did a shutdown and restart. The camera then worked! Whew.

Won't work for everyone but possibly a few.
    I just want to say "thank you" for solved my camera problem. I had same situation as you had, followed what you said had overnight like 12 hours charging, shut down touchpad for 10 mins, turn on it, camera works!!!!
    I just tried to use my camera on my touchpad, and it also was not working.
    I did not get any errors, it would just not show any image in the HP camera app or the other 3rd party apps.
    I have successfully used the camera on my TP before, but this time it was just not working.
    Im on OS 3.0.4

I think it was the rotation lock (set in landscape mode) that was preventing the camera from working.
    Turning rotation lock off did not help, i had to power off the TP and then turn it back on, and then the camera worked again.

So try turning off rotation lock if your camera is having problems and maybe that might help, since the various camera apps don't seem to like landscape mode when using the camera.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast