Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robdiablo
  1.    #1  
    Hi, new here ! Just bought a new HP touchpad and am impressed so far. But I am having a problem putting music on the Pad.

I can easily drag and drop the three demo/royalty free songs that came with my laptop into the HPtouchpad and they will transfer and play on the padwith no worries.

I just spent a bit of time putting a few CDs in the drive and ripping them to a folder on the desktop with Windows media player. If I drag and drop these files into the pad they are not seen and the device says I have no music on the pad.

I think I am having problem regarding format but cannot work out why the free demo songs went over from the lappy but not the stuff I have taken from CD.

Is it the way I ripped them ?

Do I need to do something to the files to make it pad friendly ?

Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmanta View Post
    Hi, new here ! Just bought a new HP touchpad and am impressed so far. But I am having a problem putting music on the Pad.

I can easily drag and drop the three demo/royalty free songs that came with my laptop into the HPtouchpad and they will transfer and play on the padwith no worries.

I just spent a bit of time putting a few CDs in the drive and ripping them to a folder on the desktop with Windows media player. If I drag and drop these files into the pad they are not seen and the device says I have no music on the pad.

I think I am having problem regarding format but cannot work out why the free demo songs went over from the lappy but not the stuff I have taken from CD.

Is it the way I ripped them ?

Do I need to do something to the files to make it pad friendly ?

Paul.
    I bet its because when you ripped them with Windows Media Whatsit it encodes them in Window's proprietary .wma format - which I am pretty sure the TP does not play.

If your 'demo' songs are in some other format, then I would bet that is it.

I suggest CDEx to rip your CDs:
    CDex | Open Source Digital Audio CD Extractor with more than 40,000,000 downloads

You can encode in a variety of formats. Mp3 files are almost universally playable and I would suggest using them for that reason.

caveat: Some hardcore audiophiles will argue that mp3 files are not lossless and are not the best encoding option because of that. But if you were happy with the way that the wma files sounded, mp3 will be fine and will cause the least headaches because of compatibility.
    Last edited by intron; 08/24/2011 at 06:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    It takes some time, and/or even a reset for music to show up in the app. A bug I think.

Hold the home and power button for 15 seconds till it resets. Then try again in the music app
  4.    #4  
    Thanks folks, I will try a reset and also ripping in something other than media player.
    You can rip music via Media Player in MP3 format.

I didn't find this out for a long, long time, however.
    Don't forget about HP Play, it's the Touchpads version of Itunes. Welcome to HP Play - hpplay.com
    akshunj likes this.
    I've got all my mp3s uploaded to Google Music, so I won't have to load them onto my TouchPad (assuming I ever get one). Saves me a lot of trouble whenever I get a new device.

I know there's no webOS app for Google Music, but it plays through the browser.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    You can also use a program like Songbird to rip in either a lossless or lossy format (MP3 being lossy). And Songbird can transcode any music that is in your collection while syncing, so instead of having to redo it, it will simply change the format during a sync. If you want help setting this up, drop me a PM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by robdiablo View Post
    Don't forget about HP Play, it's the Touchpads version of Itunes. Welcome to HP Play - hpplay.com
    Ahhh... did not know that (since my TP hasn't arrived yet). Still, after reading it its not the route I would go, but different strokes.....
    IMHO, WiFi MediaSync is well worth the cost. You can sync the music wirelessly. I went through a bunch of different steps until I realized that WFMS was available on the TP.
    AudiophileHD plays wma and lossless FLAC. It's an acquired taste, but an option.
  12.    #12  
    Right, Thanks to some suggestions from you guys I have now managed to get Windows media player to save the CDs in a lossless MP3 type.

I have put an album on my laptop and seen it turn up in WMP and in the "my music" folder in C drive.

I have the tracks listed and the album art on WMP and a little box on the right hand side that lets me sync my HPTP.

All well and good ? Well, No.

Drop and drag the Album to the little box and sync the HP and the music goes over but the names and art gets lost and all I get is "unknown artist" so I get 11 mystery tracks from a mystery artist when I unmount the HP and open the music player. I know I have put travelling Wilburys on the HPTP but no-one else does !

There is no option to edit the tracks and title manually in the HPTP either, it plays fine but I dont want to add any more albums because I will just have a massive lucky dip of mystery songs.

What the blazes is this thing up to ?

I tried HPPlay and that sync'd up all the song that I had on the lappy that were in the wrong format despite the fact I had deleted them all, I suspect it got them from the bin ! I had to delete 300 songs on e by one because I could not find a delete option in HPPlay that could do whole albums.

One, by one...it took ages and then It re-found all the deleted songs and put them back again.

I am beginning to hate the music player side of the this tab.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Dragged and dropped from iTunes but album art won't transfer. Any ideas?
    I learned the hard way to make sure all my music is in MP3 format. I simply plugged in the TP and synced it with Windows Media player. Once I got done I unplugged from the USB port and went to the music player. Everything was there including art work.
    Now I will say I have spent a fair bit of time straightening out my music collection. Making sure the formats were correct, editing the tags so the album art works, making sure artist, album and track numbers were correct. Perhaps this is why my music syncs so gracefully.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Dragged and dropped from iTunes but album art won't transfer. Any ideas?
    I have had varying luck with album art as well. Sometimes in itunes I have to manually delete the album art and add it again for it, then transfer it to the touchpad again. Then the album art will appear.

I also found if you import music into itunes and apply art to an album, only one of the songs actually has the album art. I had to go through and add the art to the rest of the songs on the same album.

Another problem with imported music is that for some reason a lot of it ends up being marked as read-only in Windows, so you can't edit the id3 tags in itunes. You have to use the open in Windows explorer option and uncheck the read-only option in the properties dialogue.

It took me about a week to get 1200 songs imported into itunes, id3 tags and album art sorted out, exported to my Pre+, and later my touchpad.
  16.    #16  
    the plot thickens, I can get windows media player to sync up with the HPTP but if I send 4 albums into it it ends up as one album with no titles and artist data and no artwork.

so I get one long list of songs all mixed up. They play but you have no idea what the he'll you are going to get next.

how can I sort this out ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    IMHO, WiFi MediaSync is well worth the cost. You can sync the music wirelessly. I went through a bunch of different steps until I realized that WFMS was available on the TP.
    WiFi MediaSync seems pretty cool. To bad it seems to be for windows pcs as I have a mac. Not being able to sync wireless or play music off my first gen iPod touch is something I hated. I think newer ones with iOS 4+ can while requiring iTunes to do it though. I prefer just leaving files in folders as well like this seems to do vs the hassles of importing into playlists.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 08/26/2011 at 03:57 AM.
    First make sure you have TP 3.0.2 update as this is better at seeing files you've copied over to TP via USB.

Suggestion - manage everything centrally in iTunes, in the settings tell it to:
    - Rip CDs to mp3 format (and select required bitrate)
    - Keep iTunes media folder organised
    - Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library

Once CDs are ripped or mp3s purchased/imported, check tags and add artwork. Rather than asking iTunes to download artwork, download from the internet, resize to something like 600x600px and embed in the mp3 files like tags.

Connect TP to PC via USB and copy the artist folder that has been created in the iTunes media folder into the music folder on the TP. Once you disconnect from the PC the TP should re-scan the music folder and add the album in the music player.

I find this approach ideal for managing music on both my Apple devices and my TP, phone, car USB stick etc.
  19.    #19  
    hmm, I am afraid I don't have Itunes, I don't have any apple products at all.

can I use a different method to sort all my albums so they go to the pad as albums and not a lucky dip ?
    Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    First make sure you have TP 3.0.2 update as this is better at seeing files you've copied over to TP via USB.

Suggestion - manage everything centrally in iTunes, in the settings tell it to:
    - Rip CDs to mp3 format (and select required bitrate)
    Just a note here. The TP supports m4a audio just fine, including newer drm-free purchases from the iTunes Store. The TP will also play ALAC (Apple Lossless in an m4 container).