Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, I dont want to sound greedy.

But, I think after sticking it with WebOS, making patches that HP has USED in WebOS 2.1 and above, and basically helping both webOS and HP by fixing their problems,

HP deserves to ensure that anyone with a Pre/plus and pixi/plus that do not yet have a touchpad are reserved one for $99.

They need to set up a site, and let us enter our Homebrew patches or device serial numbers to reserve a touchpad for us.

I think that not only does HP owe this to us, they need us.

This site, homebrew and the dedicated ones who have stuck it out with their original legacy devices are the grassroots community that have kept the value of webOS so high.

In order for HP to be able to sell webOS with some sense of value, they need us to stick around.

Please HP, do it for us, and do it for yourselves, if you want any kind of good tidings after the mess you have made.

Thanks.
    Ambitious idea, and a little too late, I'm afraid. At this point I believe every Touchpad has been spoken for.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    HP never really cared for the legacy users and never will.
    marshalla99 likes this.
    If this message is for HP, a bit too late.

If this message is for the hoarders on eBay or CL, good luck.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

But, I think after sticking it with WebOS, making patches that HP has USED in WebOS 2.1 and above, and basically helping both webOS and HP by fixing their problems,

HP deserves to ensure that anyone with a Pre/plus and pixi/plus that do not yet have a touchpad are reserved one for $99.

They need to set up a site, and let us enter our Homebrew patches or device serial numbers to reserve a touchpad for us.

This site, homebrew and the dedicated ones who have stuck it out with their original legacy devices are the grassroots community that have kept the value of webOS so high.

In order for HP to be able to sell webOS with some sense of value, they need us to stick around.

Please HP, do it for us, and do it for yourselves, if you want any kind of good tidings after the mess you have made.

Thanks.
    Not to disagree with you, but HP has done a lot for the Homebrew community and there always seems to be a thought that we need to be doing. Chalk this up to another one that "You need to do this for us because we said so"

Maybe HP needs to set some aside for employees to purchase at the discounted price...Maybe, but then again I don't consider myself any different than any other customer on the street, because at the end of the day whether I'm an employee, developer, customer, homebrewer, or any combination of the above, I'm a customer who should be treated no differently than any other customer.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I have an inkling HP.com will be selling more TP's today so keep your eyes peeled
    I completely agree with this you are our future on this platform,and deserve at least some recognition for the work that your put into webos. I do think that it is too late though now for this to happen but you never know hp may surprise us yet.
    <quote deleted by staff>

1. HP does care about the webOS community. This has been shown over and over again time after time
    2. HP has not abandoned webOS.

But...you probably already know both of these things.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/24/2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Original quoted post deleted
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

"HP will give you a $20 rebate towards a new laptop". There, problem solved HP style!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Not to disagree with you, but HP has done a lot for the Homebrew community and there always seems to be a thought that we need to be doing. Chalk this up to another one that "You need to do this for us because we said so"

Maybe HP needs to set some aside for employees to purchase at the discounted price...Maybe, but then again I don't consider myself any different than any other customer on the street, because at the end of the day whether I'm an employee, developer, customer, homebrewer, or any combination of the above, I'm a customer who should be treated no differently than any other customer.
    I think in this case "rmausser" has a point. HP's cause on the software side is better served by people who understand the product and are platform enthusiasts than by people merely looking for a deal. many of those in a month will complain that the device stinks because:

1) It doesn't work like an iPad,
    2) It doesn't have same apps as my Android phone
    3) The next shiny new toy on the market has more features
    4) There are not as many free apps as on other platforms

HP could have a 300,000 plus strong force of committed webOS ambassadors out there. Who would be publicly using and praising the feature of the platform... not people who use it for a few months and then put it on a shelf somewhere.
    As things are, they will have a lot less and that won't help the growth of webOS as a software concern... if HP it truly committed to advancing the software as they have stated

C

BTW - I appreciate all you have done for us in these forums!
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    un_designer likes this.
    So, just putting in my 2 cents here, but that whole "make it right" thing means absolutely nothing to us now; HP's original incentive for legacy owners to buy a Touchpad means nothing. At least SOMETHING special should be done for us original palm pre/pixi owners now!
    marshalla99 likes this.
    1. HP does care about the webOS community. This has been shown over and over again time after time
    2. HP has not abandoned webOS.

But...you probably already know both of these things.
    But if both of those things are true then why hasn't HP made sure that developers are able to purchase a Touchpad for $99? Why have they not made sure that existing WebOS users are able to purchase a Touchpad for $99?

It seems obvious to me that such a program would be better for WebOS in the long run than scattering them to the four winds where many of them will end up running Android or just thrown in a closet somewhere.
    pk1234 likes this.
    they should have offered them to active sprint pre minus users. They deserve it.
    Sukiyaki, whyme953 and dj ozone like this.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

Thanks.
    LOL
    As a legacy user who still has an original Sprint Pre, obviously this would be spectacular. However, there's no way HP would do it. Actually, based on the tweets from this afternoon from @brynaathp, I'm getting the sinking feeling that HP might not release a second wave after-all. The tone changed from definitely getting them at some point yesterday to hopefully we'll get some today.

Personally, I think at this point, HP ought to try to quickly get them back into production, and sell them at this price (at a loss) for a few more weeks to build a huge user base. This way when they try to license the OS (which it seems is being very heavily hinted at), it will be much more enticing for a tablet maker.

I think if you get as many people walking away empty handed after making promises of more being available (as it looks like there is going to be), you're going to have a lot of people who are VERY unhappy. It's likely that many of those people will swear off HP (and thus WebOS) altogether. That's just the consumer mindset. That backlash could make things a little more difficult for HP going forward.
    I'm all for anything that will get me a touchpad at the sale price. I just want ONE. When I signed up to be notified, I did make sure to use the email I use on my sprint pre palm profile just in case HP does decide to throw us a bone.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    ajr0467 likes this.
    someone needs to Twitter this to Richard kerris, making a special site is not even needed the op suggests. All they have to do is EMail everyone with palm profiles as they did with their making it right campaign, and some how allow us to get the next batch of touchpad currently in transit.

they need us to teach the new webOS users that this is not just a $99 e-reader/web browser. I have a feeling most new users gonna be like " ha, this is no IOS or android, no wonder they discontinued it and sold it for $99"

also it kind of blows that us with legacy devices stuck on 1.4.5 who have been waiting ages for NEw phones, are pretty much screwed cause their won't be any. And since we most likely have got move to a new OS when our phones finally give up, having a new webOS device like touchpad for cheap will make it easier for us. Most of the new touchpad users don't care if there's no new webOS devices let alone a webOS phone. They will be happy with their respective IOS and android phones.

the thing that's weird is that even if HP wants to develop webOS and want it to have a successful future,regardless of who makes its hardware, it seems its harder now because they just put it in the hands of the consumer masses who will not appreciate it, and try to unfairly compare it to IOS and android.
    un_designer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    But if both of those things are true then why hasn't HP made sure that developers are able to purchase a Touchpad for $99? Why have they not made sure that existing WebOS users are able to purchase a Touchpad for $99?

It seems obvious to me that such a program would be better for WebOS in the long run than scattering them to the four winds where many of them will end up running Android or just thrown in a closet somewhere.
    Why didn't developers purchase one before it was $99?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Why didn't developers purchase one before it was $99?
    For bedroom devs, it could've been a cost thing. It could've also been the fact that the product is still fairly new, so they may have done so at some point in the coming months. It's also likely that the lackluster sales made some developers shy away, but now that there is going to be a larger user base, they'd be interested in developing for the platform. Without devs, the platform definitely has no future.
    I'm a legacy user and I already have two :/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast