Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
    HP doesn't HAVE to do anything. I can see both sides though. HP set the tone with their "make it right" promise. Palm/HP made several promises that they didn't follow through on...flash etc on original phones. I understand why they couldn't do it and have a quality product, but it left some very disappointed. The fact that they offered to "make it right" means even in their own minds, they perceive they let us down or in some way "wronged" the community. HP has been generous in many aspects, and I don't take that lightly. However members of this community have supported Palm and HP, and without the homebrew to add awesomeness, many wouldn't have kept their phones originally. WebOs would have withered on the vine a long time ago with out the palm faithful. Yeah, some fuss, moan and complain, but it's because they care.

I myself couldn't afford the touchpad when it came out, I was planning on getting one for Christmas, but I and others here have promoted webos far and wide. If they are going to sell the tablets at 99/149 anyway, why not give us a crack at them? As far as this campaign goes, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they say no, we are no worse off, if they say yes, then that ends a lot of frustration. They can see who has an active phone and tablet profile. They can set aside enough for active profiles not linked to a tablet profile can pick one up. Give us 2 days to respond using our profile email address to verify or something.

If I get a touchpad, I will eventually get a wireless printer, so it will still mean more money for HP.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    un_designer likes this.
    Legacy users and developers that drive WebOS platform should be treated as such by regular users, who benefit from them, not the HP. And that counts only to the developers of free/open source applications. Commercial developers make money on the sales of the apps and should welcome huge stream of potential buyers. So, conscious regular WebOS users, who happened to have extra TP should sell it at no profit to the developers of free/open source. I would if I had found one.
    For the record: I am a regular non-developing member of the Maemo-linux(Nokia N900) community which is doing fine without parental company support, thanks to all great devs, contributing their time and resources to the community and (officially dead for over a year now) platform.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Pre plus is great for me, what did you not like about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520G View Post
    Pre plus is great for me, what did you not like about it?
    Do you really want to open that can of worms to a disgruntled user???
    un_designer likes this.
    I also think that there should have been some set aside for developers. Regardless of HP's plans, developers have invested resources, at the very least time, to create apps for a platform, that up till now, hasn't really been all that successful.

While I got one before the firesale, I think that many developers did not since they weren't sure how well it would do. I do think that with the rather large volume of sales during this time, not getting TPs into developer hands would be useful to the webOS community as a whole.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    ps, the developers have had access to touchpad through dev relations for several months.
    I made a post on this last night:

Wouldn't it have been nice if HP would have let everyone who has a Pre device purchase a TP to go along with it. For example: I have 4 I use, 2 pres, 2 pixi's. Let me purchase 4 TP's. You only have 1 pre, only 1 TP. THEN a few days later release it to the masses.

THIS would have been the fix for the long lived Palm users they promised............."

Buttttt like everyone else has said, HP doesnt care, they want all the TP's gone. Wonder what people would do if all the dev's and hardcore WebOS'ers just quit on them. You'd have a lot of posts of "what does TMC's mean" and a bunch of other nonsense running amuck. Thats all we're asking for is 1..........Come'on!
    un_designer likes this.
    I hate online sales, I wentout early in the morning but its hard to get one when the stores only have maybe 2 at most. So only internet buyers got most of them in Canada which I really hate.

I've said it again. This fire sale was another kick in the nuts to 2009 webos users.
    They should of emailed every single current webos profile and made sure we all had a day or 2 to buy and then do the fire sale for the stores.

Would of gotten all the die hards to embrace webos even more and probably buy more apps then normal users.
    un_designer likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, especially because I really like this community so far, but this is borderline delusional. HP doesn't owe anyone anything. You knew that WebOS was a long shot from the start. It had a history of overpromising and underdelivering and you still bought into that. The idea that you are owed something for being supportive of a platform is nonsense. Am I owed something from Ford or Jeep for supporting their platforms? Or Crest because I have only used their toothpaste for 30 years? Of course not.

It sucks that you guys can't get a TouchPad, I feel for you. But you aren't owed one. Also, be patient. These things will be showing up for reasonable prices all over the place once the hype dies down and people stop paying outrageous prices on eBay and CL.
    I'm sick, had 2 touchpads, but BB wouldn't price match so we were refunded. Have been to several stores, had 2 online orders canceled, was @ a BB @ lunch where they told me they were getting in 50 this afternoon... By the time I got off work, they had 0 left. My wife and I both started with Pre -'s on sprint and now both have Pre 2's on Sprint. We'd really like to get 2 touchPads... Hind site being 20/20, we should have held on to the launch day touchpads and fought tooth and nail for a price match.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    the first thing HP should have done esp after announcing their supposedly still supporting webOS , should have been to donate free Touchpads to the devs that are still very active and have had many sales/submissions/popularity etc on their apps in the app cat which they need to keep webOS customers happy till they fix the giant hole their standing in.

Then and only then should they have donated them inhouse to their HP staff, another case of mismanaged opportunities and priorities.

The news that they were just shelling them out to staff musta been another kick in the face for devs struggling to aquire one, or a bonus reason to carry on developing.
    un_designer likes this.
    For those in the Indianapolis area, I was just at HH Gregg and there is a store that has 2. I believe it is on Washington St, not sure though. HH Gregg also showed me the computer screen that showed they have 522 on order.

I also was told by a BB employee here in Columbus that they are expecting some in the morning. Take that as you may.

It seems like HP is getting help distributing what they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    I don't want to step on anyone's toes here, especially because I really like this community so far, but this is borderline delusional. HP doesn't owe anyone anything.
    I'm not arguing that we're owed anything. I'm saying that if HP wants a future WebOS then it's in their own best interest to make sure that Touchpads end up in the hands of people who will either develop apps for them or at least continue to use them as WebOS devices.
    un_designer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I'm not arguing that we're owed anything. I'm saying that if HP wants a future WebOS then it's in their own best interest to make sure that Touchpads end up in the hands of people who will either develop apps for them or at least continue to use them as WebOS devices.
    HP has been already doing this, long before the price drop.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I see. Well I don't really think they are interested in a future with WebOS. At least not in the way we think. My guess is that their plans are either sell it to anyone willing to buy it or license it for a quickboot PC OS. I really don't believe they intend to hold onto it and keep developing it.
    Maybe HP needs to set some aside for employees to purchase at the discounted price...Maybe, but then again I don't consider myself any different than any other customer on the street, because at the end of the day whether I'm an employee, developer, customer, homebrewer, or any combination of the above, I'm a customer who should be treated no differently than any other customer.
    You're a really virtuous guy (or gal :-). I've heard there are employees in Sunnyvale who shed real sweat to build the Touchpad who can't get their hands on one to take home. It seems like a shame. I always thought one of the benefits of working for a consumer electronics company was the ability to purchase products from the company at a discount. Bringing home something that you worked hard to build would seem especially satisfying.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Day 1 Sprint Pre- user here. I' on board with this petition!
    I will sign this petition, given my potential to benefit from such an unlikely move. I figure even something as generally un heeded as online petitions can't hurt to try.

plus come on HP I'm typing this on an original sprint pre, who I still usr despite the recenntly developed wonky speaker issue.
    It's so sad to see the whole "make it right" thing keep rearing it's ugly head. No matter what, it will always continue to surface. Yes, HP screwed up in many ways, BUT...they have never owed the community anything in my opinion. They purchased a company and at that point were free to do whatever they wished with that company. They could have dismantled everything from day 1 just to sit on the patents, but they didn't.

Here's what I want from HP (first 2 emphasized):
    1. Take care of your webOS/Palm employees.
    2. Set aside TouchPads and phones for the webOS/Palm employees and reward them for their incredible work.
    3. Truly commit to moving forward with webOS and focus your engineering talent on it to make it into the killer OS it should be.
    4. Focus on hammering out a deal to license webOS out to a killer hardware manufacturer.
    5. Make sure the software is smooth and fast BEFORE releasing a device.
    6. Choose select national stores to sell the devices who will DEDICATE training to employees.
    7. Put 'spiffs' (monetary incentives) on each device to give employees even more incentive to push the product.
    8. Oh... and fire Leo.

I'm a Legacy Pre user on Sprint (yet). I've been using Palm devices since my first V505 and my last phones 4 phones have been Palm. I've never felt owed since I purchased a phone with a limited life (like all phones). HP may be a large company, but the Palm unit is still my favorite group and deserve to be rewarded WAY before any of us can ever say we 'deserve' anything.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    They didn't HAVE to, but they offered...as well they should have.

Setting aside some TP's for devs and legacy owners would have been nice, but the way things happened, doing something like that wouldn't even have crossed their minds.

Edit: On #2...After reading the poster on reddit who was the Palm employee...it didnt sound like they worked all that hard, and he even said they could have benefited from hp's structure rather than be left to do as they always had.
    Treo 680, Treo 750, Pre-, Touchpad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast