Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noco37
  1.    #1  
    So - there's a random plastic-covered port on the side of my TouchPad 32gig (on the side with the volume rocker). I've read it's where a SIM card would go...and was curious if anyone has removed the plastic cover? Is it perhaps possible to install a SIM card there (I happen to have one with an unlimited data plan for another device)...or if my TouchPad is simply missing the SIM-card tray/hardware?

Thanks!

ps - attached here are a couple photos I snapped of the port cover thing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    On the 3g model it is for the SIM card. On yours it has the serial number. push it in and it will pop out a bit.
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Pretty sure ifixit.com did a teardown and it's just a placeholder for a SIM card, but there's nothing inside that can take advantage of one.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    On the 3g model it is for the SIM card. On yours it has the serial number. push it in and it will pop out a bit.
    Brilliant! Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about the "push it in and it will pop out" bit.

Not the answer I was hoping for...but it's good to know what I'm workin' with
    According to the FCC diagrams, the FCC label should be in there somewhere too.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I remember reading about that, but I wasn't positive that's what it was. I pushed on mine slightly and it didn't really move, and I was afraid to push harder and break it. Are you sure I'm not going to break it?
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I remember reading about that, but I wasn't positive that's what it was. I pushed on mine slightly and it didn't really move, and I was afraid to push harder and break it. Are you sure I'm not going to break it?
    I had to press on it a couple times - used my fingernail to put pressure directly in the middle of the "cover" the 2nd time...and it popped right out.

the #s and such are on the underside of the piece that pops out.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    I had to press on it a couple times - used my fingernail to put pressure directly in the middle of the "cover" the 2nd time...and it popped right out.

the #s and such are on the underside of the piece that pops out.
    Thanks, that did it!
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks, that did it!
    Surely! Always glad to help when I can do

Curious - noticed in your sig that you're a developer. Are you developing homebrew apps for the TouchPad? If so, do you know of or are you maybe planning on developing an app/patch that would open up the TouchPad bluetooth connection to phones that are non-webOS?

Much thanks!