Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    I noticed when I'm using my iphone I have this strange urge to swipe everything like the cards in webOS...has anyone else been feeling this way? I hear they are implementing the swipe feature in IOS 5 is this true?
    FenrirWolf and VCI_Cell like this.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I will not lie the swipe feature is very nice indeed
    Told ya!!! webOS is addictive.. hehe..
    you will also start trying to swipe up on your PC, TV, and anything else that has an LCD.
    On my Droid, I've been swiping up to end an app instead of hitting home.

On my TouchPad, I've been swiping up in the middle of the screen to open the launcher instead of swiping up from the bottom. And I keep wanting to swipe left to go back in the browser and other apps.

Mind and body are getting confused.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    You shoulda seen the swipe feature within an app (used on the webOS phones). I will have serious problems if I start using another OS phone. Even the back button on the TP is annoying to me. I always try to swipe left just below the screen to go back.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    You shoulda seen the swipe feature within an app (used on the webOS phones). I will have serious problems if I start using another OS phone. Even the back button on the TP is annoying to me. I always try to swipe left just below the screen to go back.
    True.. I really miss that feature on TouchPad. I don't know why in the world they remove that feature. for e.g. in Facebook app on my phone, I always use back swipe to go back to previous screen. I don't think we can do that in TouchPad.. right?
    Last fall i was commuting back home from a class and i tried back swiping on my ipod classic. lol i stood there trying to backswipe the clickwheel and it didn't connect for a full 2 minutes that i was using an ipod i was just like "why the eff wont it go back!" lol then i realized and felt SOO silly haha. <3 webOS oh and i agree with the above u'll start backswiping on ANY screen soon, it just become second nature. i thinkt he swiping that ios is implementing isnt exactly the same as what we have my understanding so far is that its browser specific.so it wont work on apps and wat not but i might be wrong i dont keep up with wat apple land does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    this! i backswipe on the tp too haha the button is obnoxious.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I know exactly what you're saying.

Had my Pre since Sprint launch day, and have played & used other devices for 2ndary phones & a rooted Nook Color & once you get used to webOS, other platforms can really leave you frustrated, and for my typical daily use (very heavy on multitasking / lots of open cards), I find very little on the app side I miss that other platforms have.

Sure, I'd love it webOS could gain equal footing with app support, but it doesn't need need 50 versions of the same functional purpose of the app's service.

*I really do hope this firesale will result in dev support to flesh out the missing core / highly sought apps, and this knock can be put to rest, because webOS's functionality already can do most of "said" apps function to start with, and given it's design I think would allow devs to improve on their current designs and strucure to take advantage of webOs's superior ability to multitask, just type's culling of information, and coupled with the synergy's top notch integration of data and contact pooling.

*I'll be very sad if webOS does not find some future in future devices, or the chance to see it grow to it's potential because of hardware and management strategy gaffs.

*I hope you come to love webOS as much as I and see that it's homebrew community is truly amazing, and unlike any other in their efforts at really no cost to us while they work so well together as a team in giving their time & talents to enrich us & our webOS addiction.

Sorry for the long & unformatted reply- I'm on my pre & typing this up real fast!

**Enjoy & welcome everyone finally getting to play with the best mobile os out there, and hopefully it will only get even better.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I definitely find myself swiping up to close an app on my iPhone the last few days. It takes me a minute or two to get back in the habit of hitting home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj23foreva View Post
    I noticed when I'm using my iphone I have this strange urge to swipe everything like the cards in webOS...has anyone else been feeling this way? I hear they are implementing the swipe feature in IOS 5 is this true?
    Jailbreak your iPhone, install Multifl0w, and set it to card view, with the activation gesture as a swipe from the bottom of the screen. Instant pseudo WebOS. If only there was an app in Cydia to give you a physical slide-out keyboard too!
    I love swiping >.<
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    recently got a nook color, put honeycomb and gingerbread on it - works great. one of the MOST_ANNOYING_ things about it is the lack of swiping between apps.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Rumors abound that back swipe is coming back. They need to tighten up the up swipe a bit tooo...

Having the apps all put the "back" button in different places is driving me nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj23foreva View Post
    That is (just one of) the magic of webOS. It just flows...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I get all ham-fisted and frustrated when I try to use my wife's android Very frustrating not having a back gesture at least, and having to deal with the overly touchy touch-based back button.
    welcome new webOS peeps now you know why us webOS peeps are so stubborn and don't want anything else but webOS.

webOS gestures are one of those things that doesn't sound like much when you try to describe it as a "feature" but it's one of those things that you love the instant you start using it.
    I'm glad this thread was opened. It is hard to explain to people who never used a webOS device (for more than a day) the addiction you get to the UI and Synergy. The UI is so elegant that all other mobile UIs pale in comparision. It is so mucher easier to use than iOS or Android. It offers true, computer like multi-tasking and it actually makes multi-tasking fun.

For those of you who are new to webOS and don't know, Synergy is the system that syncs all your accounts (email, contacts, pictures). It allows you to pull in data from the internet and updates that data on the fly. Everytime you change a contact or add a picture to an account, it gets synced to your Touchpad in near real time. It's complicated to explain but once you get used to it, it is hard to leave. No other mobile OS does it. Google syncs your calendar, contacts, and email but it is very limited when compared to Synergy. To give you a real quick example, my son has a Facebook account. His wall photo is used by Synergy as his contact picture on my phone. If he changes his wall photo, his contact picture updates to the new wall photo. If he makes a comment on Facebook, it is sent to my phone so I can keep track.

Everyone who doesn't use webOS thinks that we are misguided ******* when we try to explain why we believe webOS is light years ahead of iOS or Android. I'm glad other folks are getting a taste of webOS and vindicating us. If webOS dies, I will miss the UI and Synergy the most. No other mobile OS offers these features. I get very frustrated when using other mobile OSes now.

p.s. If you haven't tried this already, make sure your sound is turned all the way up, open up an app (any app), turn your Touchpad upside down (so both speakers are on the top), swipe up to go into card view, grab the app's card and pull it all the down, let go of the card and watch it fly off the screen. You should get some very cool sound effects:

geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you will also start trying to swipe up on your PC, TV, and anything else that has an LCD.
    Dude I pick up my wife's nook and I go INSANE!!!!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast