Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Coby Kyros is a bottom-barrel tablet running Android 2.x. You're comparing low-end, resistive-screened tablets running a phone OS to the TouchPad. If any of the current crop of Honeycomb tablets were to come down from $400-500 to $99, the same thing would happen as is happening with the TP. People want this extremely rare deal, not webOS. The people buying the TP are buying it for one reason -- it's a quality tablet that has been discounted by $400.

I know some of you are wanting vindication for choosing webOS, and using this to show that people wanted webOS all along, but that's not what this is.
    You make my point, if webOS was crap, it wouldn't sell even at these prices. I'm sure a "good" Android tablet could do much of the same thing. But it would have to be "good", right?

So apparently the "worthless" webOS has some worth after all. And please don't tell me the tens of thousands buying the devices are ALL going to put Android on them.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Ahh I can't help baiting...

Nycho please check your facts. The TouchPad was sold out and tons of Best Buys around the country received more stock yesterday that was left over from their warehouses. I know this because 1) I used to work for Best Buy and truck days are usually Tuesdays and 2) My roommate still works for Best Buy, in the store warehouse in fact, he told me himself and purchased one yesterday (in the NYC metro area).

If you called that BBY manager, it is very possible they were unaware or just plain oblivious to anything related to the TP because BBY has several managers per store and often one manager has no clue about another's dept or products.
    +1 on this. I'm on the west coast any my local BB had 20 people lined up for the Touchpad at opening time. (But, alas, they did not get a shipment). Others had longer lines. It's for real, folks
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    MAYBE if HP had lead into the market with the 7" TouchPad GO/Opal at a low price point it could have generated this kind of interest and made a later release of the 10" TouchPad a little more successful. I was really hoping to get a GO, too bad.

HP doomed itself though, the demo units and retail presence were lacking. I liked the commercials, but they weren't AMAZING. If they're truly wanting to get into the software market they're really going to have to work on partner engagement. It's clear that they haven't gone too far out of their way to drive strategic partnerships. That was probably the biggest failing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Not nearly as hip looking as the line for new Apple products.
    Totally, remember this guy?
    Photos of first person in line for iPhone at Apple Store Fifth Avenue – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

As a current bby employee I can assure you that these people are just looking for a deal. I've been in pcho for two black Fridays and both iPad launches and the people lining up and looking for touchpads are by far some of the rudest customers I've ever dealt with. While I don't see anyone from here as likely to be one of them if you do go in at least be polite to us, what we have in stock isn't our fault, and if management makes decisions as far as rules around selling them that's not our fault either.

Fact is I grabbed one of the $99 touchpads with the intention of putting android on it, but the more I read here and actually use webOS I'm really enjoying it. Already overclocking and patching, and as an early android adopter (and winmo before that) its remarkably easy. I wish I had jumped on this sooner and not just as part of the bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhannock View Post
    As a current bby employee I can assure you that these people are just looking for a deal. I've been in pcho for two black Fridays and both iPad launches and the people lining up and looking for touchpads are by far some of the rudest customers I've ever dealt with. While I don't see anyone from here as likely to be one of them if you do go in at least be polite to us, what we have in stock isn't our fault, and if management makes decisions as far as rules around selling them that's not our fault either.

Fact is I grabbed one of the $99 touchpads with the intention of putting android on it, but the more I read here and actually use webOS I'm really enjoying it. Already overclocking and patching, and as an early android adopter (and winmo before that) its remarkably easy. I wish I had jumped on this sooner and not just as part of the bandwagon.
    I'm sorry they are so rude...and maybe that is because many are purely in it for the 'awesome deal'. Of course I am a little biased and tend to think that someone aware of webOS and that admires webOS is somehow less rude than the average person...I might be projecting here, but I think that would be a true statement.

Anyway, you are revealing one of the great things about webOS. If you use it...you will come around to appreciating it in a way you did not 'get' before. It does draw you in...not kicking and screaming, but gently with a "hey, that's pretty nice" attitude.

Thanks for sharing...and PEOPLE...let's be nicer out there in line at Best Buy, or wherever you can find one!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    You make my point, if webOS was crap, it wouldn't sell even at these prices. I'm sure a "good" Android tablet could do much of the same thing. But it would have to be "good", right?
    It's a formerly $500 tablet that is selling incredibly well for $99. I never said the tablet or webOS were not "good," I'm just saying people aren't buying it because they like webOS -- if the TouchPad was an Android tablet, it'd be selling the same way at that price reduction. There was no clamoring for webOS before this, and there won't be after all the tablets are gone. It just is what it is -- people wanting an incredible bargain, they don't give a crap about webOS.

*shakes head* It's like talking to a brick wall. Fine, this is the re-re-birth of webOS, 3rd time's a charm, look out Android and iOS!
    People have no dignity lining up like this for consumer products.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    People have no dignity lining up like this for consumer products.
    wut? I've been in 2 hour lines for a 60 second rollercoast.

What does a line have to do with dignity?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123