Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Not nearly as hip looking as the line for new Apple products.
    Ha! And that, of course is the important thing about electronics. It's hip to be square...or at least rectangular at 9.50 inches by 7.31 inches.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Ahh I can't help baiting...

Nycho please check your facts. The TouchPad was sold out and tons of Best Buys around the country received more stock yesterday that was left over from their warehouses. I know this because 1) I used to work for Best Buy and truck days are usually Tuesdays and 2) My roommate still works for Best Buy, in the store warehouse in fact, he told me himself and purchased one yesterday (in the NYC metro area).

If you called that BBY manager, it is very possible they were unaware or just plain oblivious to anything related to the TP because BBY has several managers per store and often one manager has no clue about another's dept or products.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Told me on the phone that there wasnt a line there today!!!! I'm not saying the video is fake. It just didnt happen today at the bb stire for a tp, according to the manager i spoke to. Maybe he lied. If he didnt lie, the guy who posted the video is apparently just a ****** hyping the tp as i see it. Not that theres anything wtong with it, as seinfeld famously said.
    Brian has been posting here for quite a while, and, he is actually an Android advocate, and not a WebOS user any more - his posts are more often than not logical and pragmatic, and has helped provide gopod technical information when needed in discussions I have participated in.

If you look at the video carefully, you can see for yourself its real; there are many hidden clues for that - whomever you spoke to is mistaken, misinformed himself, or outright lying to you - at 33 seconds into the video, you can clearly hear a woman in the background say the word "TouchPads".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    This is the best buy that actually fulfilled my in-store pickup. I put the order in online Sat. night, they sent me the reservation confirmation on Sunday morning. 5 minutes later they called me to confirm the confirmation, and to tell me that it would be ready for pickup Monday after 4PM.

I walked in on Monday and picked it up. The register even automatically handled the price match. So smooth and professional. Rare at many NYC-area Best Buys, but nice to experience.

-X
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Brian has been posting here for quite a while, and, he is actually an Android advocate, and not a WebOS user any more - his posts are more often than not logical and pragmatic, and has helped provide gopod technical information when needed in discussions I have participated in.

If you look at the video carefully, you can see for yourself its real; there are many hidden clues for that - whomever you spoke to is mistaken, misinformed himself, or outright lying to you - at 33 seconds into the video, you can clearly hear a woman in the background say the word "TouchPads".

Thanks! One update though is that since i own a Touchpad now I am again a webOS user haha. In fact in my house we have now two HTC Evo's, one iPad and one Touchpad. I plan on going to Windows Phone in the fall so its nice i can still mess with every OS (except BB of course)
    LCGuy and Rockbeast like this.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    man that sucks i just went there on yesterday (on 44th) and the guy said they are out and not getting anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Ahh I can't help baiting...

Nycho please check your facts. The TouchPad was sold out and tons of Best Buys around the country received more stock yesterday that was left over from their warehouses. I know this because 1) I used to work for Best Buy and truck days are usually Tuesdays and 2) My roommate still works for Best Buy, in the store warehouse in fact, he told me himself and purchased one yesterday (in the NYC metro area).

If you called that BBY manager, it is very possible they were unaware or just plain oblivious to anything related to the TP because BBY has several managers per store and often one manager has no clue about another's dept or products.
    BBY may have several managers per store but there's always one GM who relays all relevant memos to the ASM, CSM, e.t.c, so all managers can't be out of the loop on something as big and serious as this. Plus ETK (toolkit) is always brimming with near infinite memos as things change.

I'd bet that the warehouse and PCHO folks (computers) are tearing out their hairs because they're the department having to deal with all this madness that time and resource has to be allocated to.

I still have nightmares of black Friday and $100/150 netbooks. Civilized humans became savages.

Sent from my SCH-I800
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    BBY may have several managers per store but there's always one GM who relays all relevant memos to the ASM, CSM, e.t.c, so all managers can't be out of the loop on something as big and serious as this. Plus ETK (toolkit) is always brimming with near infinite memos as things change.

I'd bet that the warehouse and PCHO folks (computers) are tearing out their hairs because they're the department having to deal with all this madness that time and resource has to be allocated to.

I still have nightmares of black Friday and $100/150 netbooks. Civilized humans became savages.

Sent from my SCH-I800
    You know, this is ironic...it's like we devolve into those savages at the end of 2001 A Space Odessy when the Cro-Magnons (or was it the Neanderthals? I get those two teams confused) were beating on the computer? If only they had knives and bear skins to work with. Wait, that wasn't A Space Odessy, that was Zoolander, my bad.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

DAM! I work by there to but I never realized their would be a line like this!

LONG LIVE webOS! Can't wait to get mines in the mail via HPA.
    I had a feeling that if my local store in a small town had 40 people in the line the New York store would have A LOT of people.
    Someone just told me that they got another batch in right now. No way I can make it, but maybe someone else can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

Sent from my SCH-I800
    While that is true, you have to account for the human factor. If there is a lack of good communication, people will still be misinformed or out of the loop. When I worked at BBY, I can't count on two hands the number of people that actually checked ETK for products updates and new info frequently. Usually a few fellow employees and most manager would filter the info to the rest.

P.S. Yeah Black Friday is the stuff of nightmares, never again! Last BF, I worked a 15 hour shift and I still have night terrors about it LOL.
    Last edited by clayclay350; 08/24/2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added a P.S.
    I am, therefore I think
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    surreal
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Even after five days of mayhem, this is crazy. Makes me think , why did HP abandon ?
    Because if they didn't, this would not be happening, and all the TouchPads selling now would still be collecting dust. People want a $99 tablet that used to cost $500, not necessarily webOS.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Well today is the 1st truck day after the fire sale and some stores will get some in that where already in the supply line
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    There are tons of crappy $99 android tablets. I think because its $99 and it doesn't suck is also a reason.

Not denying the price reason, its obvious the price is a huge factor.
    You are right, Amazon had $149 Android tablets on sale the same time as the TP was blowing up. Nobody was buying those. The $149 Coby Kyros is #14, the $149 Touchpad is number 4 (the 16gb is numero uno) and based on list price it was discounted too.

It not JUST the price folks.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Coby Kyros is a bottom-barrel tablet running Android 2.x. You're comparing low-end, resistive-screened tablets running a phone OS to the TouchPad. If any of the current crop of Honeycomb tablets were to come down from $400-500 to $99, the same thing would happen as is happening with the TP. People want this extremely rare deal, not webOS. The people buying the TP are buying it for one reason -- it's a quality tablet that has been discounted by $400.

I know some of you are wanting vindication for choosing webOS, and using this to show that people wanted webOS all along, but that's not what this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Because if they didn't, this would not be happening, and all the TouchPads selling now would still be collecting dust. People want a $99 tablet that used to cost $500, not necessarily webOS.
    Bet that if you looked at total sales volume for all tablets, it is much higher than normal. A lot of us sat on the sidelines because "coolness" is just not justification for a useful but non-essential device. A lot of the TP's are currently selling well at $200 plus prices on sites like e-bay.

One of my buddies who bought an iPad and returned it because "it was nice but I didn't really need it", bought 2 TP and gave one to his wife. He loves them and is as happy as a clam.

HP blew it by not realizing that they need to find a sweeter price point and not being willing to lose money up front to gain marketshare. Despite the fact that there are some people willing (or able to) spend large chunks of money for an iToy, there is a major recession going on in this country (in the world, actually) and many people have wisely decided to pull in their horns and become more selective in their discretionary spending.

If HP wasn't willing to lose a some money, why did they expect all of their customers to plunk down 'top of the line' money for a product that was decent but not top of the line?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    You are right, Amazon had $149 Android tablets on sale the same time as the TP was blowing up. Nobody was buying those. The $149 Coby Kyros is #14, the $149 Touchpad is number 4 (the 16gb is numero uno) and based on list price it was discounted too.

It not JUST the price folks.
    If you are happy that touchpad is selling better than those crappy gingerbread tablet from Coby, good for you. But if Samsung put their Galaxy Tab at $100, I'll bet city has to put police to control all those frenzy bargain hunters.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast