Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  • 1 Post By r-nice
  1.    #1  
    so I'm an android guy who also loathes iOS. I almost wish I could get a second tablet so one could be ported to android when that is ready but then keep one as webOS. I kind of like it. So here are my questions.

1. Is there a way to add what I'm going to call widgets to the home screen like you can in android?
    2. Is there some kind of way to view open programs and end them if you want?.

I know I have more questions but that is all I can think of right at the moment.

by the way I have already done the developer mode thing added all the suggested patches and overclocked to 1.5 GHz. Really nice write up.

matt
    Open programs is the easiest. Just hit the center button, and then you can see all your apps. Swipe up to close.
    2. The apps open in the cards. So if you don't have any cards on your screen, there are no open apps. Does that make sense?

Unlike Android, you don't have to go to a task manager or anything to force apps closed. What you see is what's open. To close an app you simply flick it off the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by unglued94ta View Post
    1. Is there a way to add what I'm going to call widgets to the home screen like you can in android?
    Widgest is a four letter word around these parts!

Many will be more than happy to say "If you want widgets, get Android!"

I personally feel like widgets are very important -- sometimes you want some information without having to open an application or swipe through cards to see it.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    thats my number one complaint with android, you have to dig down to task manager to see your open apps... its the worst !

iOS and webOS blow it away.....
    think of each card as a widget
    In addition, some apps, like Weather Dashboard HD, are notification area dashboards that act kinda like widgets
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Typo Lad likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Widgest is a four letter word around these parts!
    You are correct, it is. Yet, when an app that just loads a screen full of widgets comes out, it's called "taking multi-tasking to the next level" and universally hailed as the greatest app that has ever been developed, for any platform. Ever.

OP, give Glimpse a try, it's a solid app that loads widgets. And has been mentioned, no need for a task manager with webOS. Much better multi-tasking solution than Android's.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Widgets are an Android thing. An Android thing which I love.
    Typo Lad likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    thats my number one complaint with android, you have to dig down to task manager to see your open apps... its the worst !

iOS and webOS blow it away.....
    Long press the home button to see your last 8 open apps, I flip back and forth between apps like this all the time the same way I would swipe through cards with my Pre. I never use any kind of "task manager" to see what apps I have open...

On webOS, do you open a terminal window and type "ps -ef" to see all the tasks running? No? Then why use a task manager to see all the processes running on your Android device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    think of each card as a widget
    The problem with that, especially with stacks is that you only see one app when you turn your screen on. To me this is the fallacy of cards = widgets. They are just completely different metaphors. And when you flick your cards away they are all gone.

There is no universal everyone will love it metaphor, but what I like about widgets is if I want a clean screen, I don't use widgets. If I want a whole bunch of info there, I can add the widgets to the screen. It seems like the designers of webOS completely hated the concept of widgets so they forced their will on every user by not providing that choice to end users.

I flip back and forth between home screens depending on whether I am at work, or on the weekend, or on vacation. It's my choice, not the OSes.

I can kind of understand the contradiction, if I have cards open they would hide the widgets on the screen behind them, but to me a simple way of hiding open cards would suffice and just provide a simple gesture to restore open cards.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Honeycomb for tablets has a built in task manager that kills apps not in use.. No need to search for it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

I can kind of understand the contradiction, if I have cards open they would hide the widgets on the screen behind them, but to me a simple way of hiding open cards would suffice and just provide a simple gesture to restore open cards.
    Downswipe of any card could be used for fast surface cleaning and by pressing center button one could bring back cards and stacks. While cards are hidden, number of open apps could be shown in notification area.
    I agree, it would be cool feature.