1.    #1  
    I just acquired a TouchPad during the fire sale and was quite excited to try it out.

However, as soon as it booted it was quite clear it has a dead pixel near the center of the screen--it was visible in the white button at the start of the set up process in both horizontal and vertical orientation! I actually noticed it before I finished reading the text in the box.

Do any of you know whether this is covered under HP's warranty? I've found threads that recommend taking it back to the retailer, but this isn't an option with Best Buy and the fire sale.

I'd like to overlook it, but it's so centered and the dot pitch is so large it isn't possible for me to forget about it. I've lived with dead/stuck pixels in LCDs before, but this is honestly the most annoying one I have ever seen. It isn't encouraging that HP's support site says this isn't a valid product for repair. Any idea if they will replace this? Am I better off selling this on ebay / craig's list to someone who doesn't care while the hype is still on-going and get a new one?

If no one knows, I will try with HP and report my findings.

Thanks!
    I messaged HP about warranty support they said they will still back the product
    Its a tough one though, because what stock do they have to replace it with?
  4.    #4  
    Yeah... and usually, I prefer not to bother the manufacturer with anything but serious hardware defects, which I rarely if ever encounter. I'm sure they kept stock for warranty replacements (or at least I would hope...), but did they ever replace for a dead pixel? Some manufacturers are great about this. Others, not so much...

It really matters to me because I hoped to use this to show off a graphic design portfolio to potential clients. It's pretty noticeable on a white screen. And most web site designs have a white background...

Probably wouldn't be the end of my business, and for $150, I don't know how much I can conscientiously complain about the nice IPS screen, but it's still a huge mar on what so far otherwise seems like a great device for showing my work.
    I wouldn't accept it either. The warranty is the way to go. Might take a while to get a replacement though.
    How many pixels are dead? I think that some manufacturers have certain criteria that have to be met before they'll replace a device with dead pixels (3 dead pixels in the middle of the screen or some such). One dead one right in the middle of the screen would be pretty damn annoying.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    How many pixels are dead? I think that some manufacturers have certain criteria that have to be met before they'll replace a device with dead pixels (3 dead pixels in the middle of the screen or some such). One dead one right in the middle of the screen would be pretty damn annoying.
    I'm pretty sure it's one, but with the central location, dot pitch of the screen, and the way the screen is set behind the glass, it almost looks in size like four together. It's not so bad when the whole screen is white, but when something white is on it and the area around it is darker it really sticks out.
    Way back in the day (when webOS was a bright shiny infant full of so much promise), there was an app that you could run that sometimes could fix stuck pixels.

Here are a couple I found after a quick search:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ck-pixels.html

Don't know if this will work on the TouchPad or is even still available: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...deadpixelfixer

This one says for webOS 1.0 (ahh, remember those days?): Dead Pixel Fixer free download for Palm WebOS powered Pre/Pixi.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Way back in the day (when webOS was a bright shiny infant full of so much promise), there was an app that you could run that sometimes could fix stuck pixels.

Here are a couple I found after a quick search:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ck-pixels.html

Don't know if this will work on the TouchPad or is even still available: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...deadpixelfixer

This one says for webOS 1.0 (ahh, remember those days?): Dead Pixel Fixer free download for Palm WebOS powered Pre/Pixi.
    Thanks Mikey--I appreciate the info. Unfortunately this is a dead pixel and not a pixel stuck on red, green, or blue, and I don't think the flashing techniques to unstick pixels work on dead pixels. I'm trying the "massaging" techniques, but I think the protective layer in front of the LCD may be too thick for that to really have an effect...

What I can say is that the TouchPad is turning out to be a better web/music device than I imagined! If only it were those halcyon early days for the platform again...
    I have the same issue, thinking to return it to the HP for warranty. I have installed Preware on it, can anybody help me on how to remove the Preware completely from the Touchpad? and even if i could live with 3 dead pixel, will this problem become bigger and bigger?
    I seriously don't think they're gonna replace it guys. If you've got less than 3 dead pixels I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's been an industry standard for manufacturers to deny a warranty replacement for that kind of situation. Things may have changed a bit but again...don't hold your breath.

***Although they might have some sympathy for those that were able to get a touchpad in the first place so maybe you have a chance.

This was all I could find on their website regarding dead pixels and their policy so I don't really know if it will apply to the touchpad.

"Understanding HP pixel policy

The policy that applies to your monitor depends on the date of manufacture of your display. The following policies apply during the HP limited warranty period:

Policy for HP monitors manufactured in May 2009 or later:
    Bright sub-pixel defects 2 maximum
    Dark sub-pixel defects 5 maximum
    Total combined bright and dark sub-pixel defects 5 maximum
    Full Pixel Defects pixel defects: 0 allowed"
    Last edited by Crazypinoy9; 09/01/2011 at 12:08 AM.
    I have one that's just off center towards the top left corner up about an inch and a half. It does go away after a few minutes tho. 32gig model.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    yet another dead pixel victim and that too just a week old TouchPad. 1 in a straight line from the camera.
  14.    #14  
    Well, here's an update on my dead pixel odyssey:

Before I even called HP, I noticed that my screen had another defect. Near the upper-left corner, there is a diamond-shaped area (made up of four smaller diamonds) that is brighter than the rest of the screen. It looks like some kind of hardware behind the screen. So at that point, I definitely wanted the screen to be fixed.

I called the butler service and they were very nice, told me they would send me a box to return it in, and gave me a service order number. I sent it to them and received it back a number of days later. When I opened it and powered it on, I found it had the exact same problems as before, with a new one: the light sensor no longer worked. There was no notice of whether they thought they fixed it or not, but they did wrap it in a new plastic sheet (along with some small splinters of wood (?!)). I am guessing since the light sensor no longer works, they did at least try something.

So I just called them again, and the agent apologized and told me a box would be sent and I would be put on the "hot list", although this time the repair was likely to take two weeks rather than the quick turnaround the first time.

All-in-all, I am now much less confident that this will be fixed to my satisfaction... but we shall see. I will post an update on the results of fix #2.
    As far as a bad pixel goes this is correct:

Since you had other issues as well you "might" get the screen fixed. I work for HP Notebook support and our pixel policy says your SOL.

Mo.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsmash View Post
    As far as a bad pixel goes this is correct:

Since you had other issues as well you "might" get the screen fixed. I work for HP Notebook support and our pixel policy says your SOL.

Mo.
    What about the bright diamond? I think that is more than enough to have the screen fixed, dead pixel or not.

Also, is policy usually to listen to a description of the problem, agree to fix it, send a box and pay shipping to receive the item, look at it, decide the problem--which is exactly as described by the customer--should not be fixed, ship it back, then have the customer call, apologize to the customer, and pay for shipping back to you again? I sure hope not.
    yeah I got what looks to be a stuck or bright pixel in the middle of my screen as well. Its mostly noticeable on a dark background. It sucks but its not above the acceptable normal levels for most manufactures so I figure its not worth complaining about. I also have a crack from my top speaker to the glass face which I'm more concerned/annoyed about.