webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad not turning on
Touchpad not turning on
Like Tree1Likes

Old 08/24/2011, 04:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

i've got a small issue, hope its a quick fix?

just unpackaged my touchpad and the charging light at the bottom is flashing side to side. and it wont turn on.

has anyone come across this before? should it do this?

Thanks

Richard
tiward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hold the center button and power button for about 20 seconds. It should then turn on. Hope it works!
Old 08/24/2011, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I also read in another thread that plugging it in and leaving it alone for 20 minutes also worked. The battery is likely just completely drained, and it takes a little time for there to be enough juice to allow the OS to start.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 08/24/2011, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefields View Post
I also read in another thread that plugging it in and leaving it alone for 20 minutes also worked. The battery is likely just completely drained, and it takes a little time for there to be enough juice to allow the OS to start.
This.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdejesus View Post
Hold the center button and power button for about 20 seconds. It should then turn on. Hope it works!
Yeah, this worked for my friend's TouchPad. His didn't wanted to turn on (don't know why and it was gracefully shut down) but this trick did it.
doctorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

This did not work for me, any other suggestions?
TheGOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

This happened to me on my firesale touchpad. For me it was either the power button or the volume button that was stuck in place (cant remember which) . Was on the verge of sending it back but managed to release it by using a finger nail to loosen the button. worth a try !
shebaswhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lots of threads about this....

It's sadly, a common issue, to have Touchpad be too low in power to turn back on.

Lots and lots of possible solution, but sometimes, it's hard to get the Touchpad back working.

I have a Touchpad that the kids didn't charge correctly, and it's still dead after 2 months of trying every solution.

Not I'm just letting it sit for a month or two to ensure that it's 100% dead so that the charging unit resets as some claim worked for them.

Otherwise, I'll have to see about opening it and figuring a direct to battery charging.

You'd think that if the battery was dead (no longer charged) that you could at least use it via power from the connected cord, but alas, nothing...
Old 01/27/2013, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well, it`s been over a month now and everything I try is not making a difference, so last night, I went ahead and opened it.

First thing about opening it is that it is a major pain!... even with images and videos, I found none that really pointed out the locations of the "pins" that are easy to break.

Turns out that I didn't break a single one, but the small plastic tabs that holds them more or less in place is another story... but regardless, nothing that I'm worried about.

Getting to the battery's connector is just beyond stupid though... you have to take the whole thing apart when a bit of better design would have made it 100 times easier.... plus that there is no reason why it couldn't have been designed to make it accessible from the outside (a small door with a few screws).

But with a bit of patience and careful movement, I finally get the battery out.

Tested it with my meter and had a 0V output... so I have to assume that this battery is beyond recharging, and from what I've been reading, without the proper charging station, it's better to not risk it.

So off to eBay and found that these batteries are now selling for about 20$, so one battery will be on it's way soon...

I am worried that this Touchpad has something else wrong with it, but since I have 2 other ones, this battery won't go to waste anyways.

One thing I've noticed is that Dr. Battery on the Touchpad appears to really be off/inaccurate.

On my Touchpad (my working one), I have:

Actual 5362mAh (at 100%) 4.13V

The health tab shows Manufacturing ration at 6612mAh, and calculated left at 6149mAh

Something isn't adding up here...

But I do find that the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to since I got this Touchpad... I considered getting another battery, but since the shipping and price wouldn't differ anyways, I'll wait a while longer...

But anyways, once I get my new battery, I'll report my situation and findings, hopefully a working Touchpad..
Old 01/27/2013, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

The percentages in Dr. Battery is calculated by the battery, IIRC, and it's based on charge cycles.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, my battery got here today and I just spent the last 4 hours fiddling with it...

Putting the battery and reassembling the Touchpad was fairly easy.

But why 4 hours? because once the battery was in, all I got was the giant battery with a question mark icon show up...

I've looked back and forth on the web to discover that this is very bad news, and would explain my battery issue..

It appears that the charging system or the motherboard cannot recognize the battery (new or the old one), so it just idles in stupid mode, and does not recharge the battery, nor wants to use it.

I found one site that explains a possible fix but requiring Ubuntu, which I've never used, so that really is a problem. But again, this is only a POSSIBLE fix..

So it appears that this Touchpad will now be a spare part donor in case my other Touchpads give me trouble...

The biggest issue is that I'm hoping that the batteries will be fine... the old one is dead I'm sure of it... this new one.. I'm leaving in the Touchpad overnight in case it decides to wake up (a miracle at this point), but will remove it in the morning.

So my saga with this issue ends badly....
Old 02/20/2013, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hmm... borked A6?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/20/2013, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

The "possible fix" you mention will get you back up and running. I am sure the guy who put it out there @jcsullins has had 100% success rate with all the TPs who have used his method. The only ones this method couldnt 'fix' did NOT have the battery with question mark icon but instead had other issues. So the fix seems specifically tailored to TPs with the ? Issue.

I understand you being aprehensive about using ubuntu (never used it myself) however AFAIK you only need to install ubuntu direct to a bootable disc or a usb flashdrive/stick and then boot into ubuntu from disc or usb stick and this way ensures your original pc/mac setup is untouched.
I know it looks confusing but from what i have read over at the rootzwiki forum it seems it is actually pretty straightforward for even us non techi minded folk with users reporting they are back up and running within 10 minutes

Unfortunately this is the "Only" way you will restore your touchpad as there is no other reported method to bring the tablet back from the QOD...Fortunately though that we now have a fix for the issue thanks to JC.
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Could you please give me the link to that Possible fix website? I tried but couldn't find it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Well, my battery got here today and I just spent the last 4 hours fiddling with it...

But why 4 hours? because once the battery was in, all I got was the giant battery with a question mark icon show up...

I've looked back and forth on the web to discover that this is very bad news, and would explain my battery issue..

It appears that the charging system or the motherboard cannot recognize the battery (new or the old one), so it just idles in stupid mode, and does not recharge the battery, nor wants to use it.

I found one site that explains a possible fix but requiring Ubuntu, which I've never used, so that really is a problem. But again, this is only a POSSIBLE fix..

So it appears that this Touchpad will now be a spare part donor in case my other Touchpads give me trouble...

The biggest issue is that I'm hoping that the batteries will be fine... the old one is dead I'm sure of it... this new one.. I'm leaving in the Touchpad overnight in case it decides to wake up (a miracle at this point), but will remove it in the morning.

jimmyngouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyngouv View Post
Could you please give me the link to that Possible fix website? I tried but couldn't find it. Thank you.
The possible fix link: TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
Old 02/27/2013, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Do not turn on the device. Just hold power+Vol up directly. Can see the Big USB . connect to doctor and flash it. If do not see Big USB. Disconnect the battery and repeat it again....
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 05:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

I had this on my Pre3 recently. I tried everything I could to restore it without success. Luckily I had a spare motherboard that I simply swapped over and now my Pre is working better than ever. Previously the phone app used to hang and reboot the phone - not anymore. Perhaps it always had a bad motherboard?

I still have the motherboard if anyone has a way of restoring it?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 07:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post

Do not turn on the device. Just hold power+Vol up directly. Can see the Big USB . connect to doctor and flash it. If do not see Big USB. Disconnect the battery and repeat it again....
Done it... Re-plugged in the battery several times and tries getting it to USB mode also several times..doctoring it was the one thing that I was hoping to manage but alas.. Nothing helped....
Old 02/28/2013, 08:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Done it... Re-plugged in the battery several times and tries getting it to USB mode also several times..doctoring it was the one thing that I was hoping to manage but alas.. Nothing helped....
He means unplugging the battery from the system board, not fiddling with the USB plug.
Old 02/28/2013, 09:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Right.You have a working TP battery from working Touchpad. Try to insert this working battery into dead touchpad. Do not turn on. Just hold power + Vol up. Will see the Big USB.....
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0