Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By theclares
  1.    #1  
    It is funny. They must hate WebOS so much.
    The fate of the HP Slate would depend on what happens with HP's PC business. I actually do want Windows on a slate form factor but pickings are slim. Given the x86 requirement, right now I'm not sure if it's possible to build one with at least Athlon 64 X2 performance while maintaining at least 8 hours battery life and weighing around 750g or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    The fate of the HP Slate would depend in HP's PC business. I actually do want Windows on a slate form factor but given the x86 requirement, right now I'm not sure if it's possible to build one with at least Athlon 64 X2 performance while maintaining at least 8 hours battery life and weighing around 750g or less.
    I think its not possible yet. I'm checking Acer w500 with AMD e50 APU. Really nice DX11 performance. Nice 1080p playback. But, battery life is max 4hours and is pretty heavy and fat...
    Ugh. No thanks on any netbook/nettop CPU. I've got systems running Zacate (E-350) and Atom (330) and they're just too little CPU power for me.
    There's no reason why HP couldn't continue to produce a Windows slate for enterprise. It's low margin consumer PCs they want to sideline.

Personally I'd like to see the PC business still part of HP, but operating separately under the ENVY brand and only selling high-end kit like Apple. Then we could have an Envy tablet running win8 or webOS in the future.
    The Slate is a niche product designed for enterprise customers who need tablet access to servers and services that HP is making the boatloads of money that Leo is targeting. The kind of legacy apps that Windows support that would take way too much money to develop right now. It is ugly, heavy and somewhat archaic, but the best solution for some very specific industries like Healthcare.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I think its not possible yet. I'm checking Acer w500 with AMD e50 APU. Really nice DX11 performance. Nice 1080p playback. But, battery life is max 4hours and is pretty heavy and fat...
    Oh it's possible, Intel's ULV chips can achieve that kind of performance/battery life (still need a stonking big battery) and keep the device fairly thin. The problem is they also make it pretty expensive, and there's no market demand for a powerful Windows 7 demand that costs ~1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajstockdale View Post
    The problem is they also make it pretty expensive, and there's no market demand for a powerful Windows 7 demand that costs ~1000.
    Partially Apple's fault. With the iPad at $500, people expect all the other tablets to follow. Those who would be willing to pay more than $500 for a Windows tablet is a very small niche that demand may be too low to release a product. Granted, 1000 is too rich for me. My limit would be $1000 tops.

Even ULV doesn't have the really low power consumption current tablets have. I measured power consumption on my Asus and during web browsing with brightness turned all the way down, it was using around 8W.