Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hardware wise I know I got a really good deal, software wise I wonder, what is this thing good for? I bought this assuming I could use it the very least for a decent ebook reader, I can barely do that with my TouchPad! There are 0 options or features in Adobe Reader, I can't do simple things like bookmark where I stopped reading, or reorder books and why do I swipe up and down instead of right to left? pReader doesn't load pdf files and I refuse to convert and send files to a Kindle account in hopes of my books being pushed to my device, why can't reading a PDF file be convenient on this tablet, it's mind boggling to me!

The browser seems decent except I have not been able to figure out on how to move the cursor to the end or beginning of text. Example: If the text box I'm typing in is 20 characters long and I type 30, the beginning of the text gets scrolled and is out of sight. I normally just arrow over using my arrows keys on my keyboard or press the Home key. How is this possible on the TouchPad?

I see other posts of people surprised that so many of us TouchPad "firesale buyers" want to install Android. In my opinion the Touchpad is severely limited (perhaps crippled) by WebOS and the apps it offers. As of right now my Touchpad is only good at playing Angry Birds or surfing the web (with poor text manipulation). If the potential of Android did not exist for this device I would be regretting my purchase, I can't even imagine spending 499!
    Don't be upset. I am sure there are many who will be willing to relieve you off your pain. Although, I am wondering if you have actually used an Android tablet.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I'll buy it from you for $150.
  4.    #4  
    Sanjay, I have not used Android on a tablet, do you know if there's an ebook reader that offers bookmarking, or is this just wishful thinking? I have Android on my cell phone and love it but honestly do not know of the differences of Android on a tablet.
    I think you should just sell your touchpad and go back to your beloved android. You will always going to complaint about something.

such a minor insignificant feature and you already blow it out of proportion. Jesus christ.
  6.    #6  
    rubenfan, LOL! So tell me, what are you using your TouchPad for? The features I have noticed that this tablet lacks are very basic and I am shocked that they do not exist but at the same time the failure of this device is now making sense... I only want to read a pdf ebook without the hassle of trying to remember where I left off. Why is that impossible, can you explain that? Why hasn't HP made a decent ebook reader?
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3markel View Post
    Sanjay, I have not used Android on a tablet, do you know if there's an ebook reader that offers bookmarking, or is this just wishful thinking?
    I really want to understand this, please don't take offense as I'm new to webOS too...but, are you comparing this product's lack of certain features to other, more expensive products where you don't know if they have those features or not?

I know that webOS is lacking in some regards, but currently it can do *all around* more than an e-reader.........including play "Angry Birds".

For $150, who's complaining?
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    rubenfan, LOL! So tell me, what are you using your TouchPad for? The features I have noticed that this tablet lacks are very basic and I am shocked that they do not exist but at the same time the failure of this device is now making sense... I only want to read a pdf ebook without the hassle of trying to remember where I left off. Why is that impossible, can you explain that? Why hasn't HP made a decent ebook reader?
    ill make a deal with you, ill call HP and get them to have a firesale of their touchpads for $149 BUT only on condition you take the trouble to note down the page number

your right, its completely unreasonable.

P.S. secondly whats the point going to forums filled with people that LOVE webOS then complaining about it.. every one here is biased
    Let's put it this way to answer your question: " why didn't HP make a decent eReader?"

HP didn't make an eReader nor have they marketed it that way. It's a tablet. Capable of many different things which it can also do quite well might I add.

To call this device a failure because it doesn't bookmark your pages is just plain nonsense. If your intention was to buy an eReader then why didn't you buy a kindle?

And to say the webOS is "severely limited (perhaps crippled)" is ignorant as well. People are in fact installing webOS on their iPads!

Since it seems like you've done some type of research on these forums then why is it that you haven't installed Preware, Govnah, and Uberkernel yet? There are plenty of forum threads with praises from people about how much more the experience has improved for them. I'm one of them! I've had a Motorola Xoom rooted and running Honeycomb 3.2...and I sold it no more than 10 hours ago through craigslist because the overall experience with webOS was not only smoother, but not as buggy. The only thing that I want out of Android at this point is an emulator to use Android apps, nothing more.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm sure there are more than a few people here (biased or not) who are flabbergasted with your posts.
    If you want an e-reader, buy an e-reader, or for the ultimate experience, a pile of books.

Its not a e-reader, neither is any tablet, including the ipad btw. They all have the ability to display online books but they don't have all the niche'y functionality of say a kindle.

All tablets are jack-of-all-trades to one degree or other. If you are thinking that Honeycomb or the like will save you then think again, and/or sell it to someone here who will love it for what it is. Bad parent!
  11.    #11  
    MercuryCrest, this device retailed for 499, I am not an Apple fan but I'm sure the Ipad 2 can do these simple things. I admit, yes I have no clue if other devices can do these things I speak of but I feel very confident the Ipad or android device for a similar price can. Can anyone with such a device confirm this? I bought the TouchPad thinking reading a PDF file would be no issue for the 500 dollar device.
    In regards to this device doing "all around" it doesn't do ebook reading as good as the low end Kindle does. I'm just wondering what this device does well enough to justify the original 500 dollar purchase.

rbyrne, if you think it's reasonable to have to write down the page you left off of on an originally priced 500 dollar device than our conversation is over. I don't find this reasonable for a 50 dollar device because it defeats the purpose. I came here not to **** people off but because I was ****ed off that this device can't do these simple things and just wanted to hopefully be enlightened on how I was overlooking the obvious, but instead I got these replies... It just blows my mind that HP thinks releasing this type of product was ok.

I am seriously just curious, rbyrne and MercuryCrest, what do you do with your TouchPads?
    hi mp3markel,

Welcome to precentral - I'm pretty new to posting around here, but I've been lurking for a long while. I've been using webOS since its release a long time ago.

I can't answer your question about the ebook reader stuff. I tend to think that it wasn't meant to be an ereader, so that probably isn't/wasn't a priority for HP. It has Kindle, and it seems to work well for me. I use Adobe along with Box.net and the Homebrew TB File Transfer. It works very well for me to view meeting agendas, budgets, and meeting minutes for my job. Works well and smooth. I have downloaded a couple of ebooks, but I guess I didn't know what other features to expect out of adobe. Again, Kindle does these things you are asking about.

Other things that make my tablet useful (and I purchased first day of pre-order) is VPN, Facebook, watching gamecasts during meetings =), RSS feeds, Skype with my kiddos, contacts (I left my Palm Pre at the office yesterday, but still had all of my contacts right on my TP so I was able to call the babysitter (yay synergy)), and of course a few games here and there - I can't keep my two boys from fighting over it....and yes, my 18 month old knows how to turn it on, unlock it, and get to his game...its user friendly!

the Homebrew crew seems to be working on a reader -maybe that will work for you sooner than later. If this doesn't make you happy, please go to http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...touchpads.html and consider selling it to someone who really wants one.
    Hardware wise I know I got a really good deal, software wise I wonder, what is this thing good for? I bought this assuming I could use it the very least for a decent ebook reader, I can barely do that with my TouchPad! There are 0 options or features in Adobe Reader, I can't do simple things like bookmark where I stopped reading, or reorder books and why do I swipe up and down instead of right to left? pReader doesn't load pdf files and I refuse to convert and send files to a Kindle account in hopes of my books being pushed to my device, why can't reading a PDF file be convenient on this tablet, it's mind boggling to me!

The browser seems decent except I have not been able to figure out on how to move the cursor to the end or beginning of text. Example: If the text box I'm typing in is 20 characters long and I type 30, the beginning of the text gets scrolled and is out of sight. I normally just arrow over using my arrows keys on my keyboard or press the Home key. How is this possible on the TouchPad?

I see other posts of people surprised that so many of us TouchPad "firesale buyers" want to install Android. In my opinion the Touchpad is severely limited (perhaps crippled) by WebOS and the apps it offers. As of right now my Touchpad is only good at playing Angry Birds or surfing the web (with poor text manipulation). If the potential of Android did not exist for this device I would be regretting my purchase, I can't even imagine spending 499!
    I'll echo what a lot of people have said...sorry you're not happy with your Touchpad, but if you don't want it, there's a horde of us who would be glad to take it off your hands if you're willing to part with it "at cost". :-p
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am not an Apple fan but I'm sure the Ipad 2 can do these simple things. I admit, yes I have no clue if other devices can do these things I speak of but I feel very confident the Ipad or android device for a similar price can.
    Man, you are lining yourself up for some kickback here.
    Its almost like you are flaming.
    You're sure they can do these things buy you haven't tried them?? That's like slagging off a car for bad ride/handling without a test drive first. Completely ridiculous.
    I can have respect for people who have tried and contracted products first before having a go at the product they own, but this approach........??!!?? Jeez.
    MercuryCrest, this device retailed for 499, I am not an Apple fan but I'm sure the Ipad 2 can do these simple things. I admit, yes I have no clue if other devices can do these things I speak of but I feel very confident the Ipad or android device for a similar price can. Can anyone with such a device confirm this? I bought the TouchPad thinking reading a PDF file would be no issue for the 500 dollar device.
    In regards to this device doing "all around" it doesn't do ebook reading as good as the low end Kindle does. I'm just wondering what this device does well enough to justify the original 500 dollar purchase.

rbyrne, if you think it's reasonable to have to write down the page you left off of on an originally priced 500 dollar device than our conversation is over. I don't find this reasonable for a 50 dollar device because it defeats the purpose. I came here not to **** people off but because I was ****ed off that this device can't do these simple things and just wanted to hopefully be enlightened on how I was overlooking the obvious, but instead I got these replies... It just blows my mind that HP thinks releasing this type of product was ok.

I am seriously just curious, rbyrne and MercuryCrest, what do you do with your TouchPads?
    If your biggest complaint is forgetting where you left off while you read, can't you just keep it open and not close it?
  16.    #16  
    Crazypinoy9, I have seen posts mentioning Preware, I have yet to check that out. Although using preware only confirms that using the TouchPad stock, is lacking. I know a tablet device is meant as a jack of all trades but I guess I just figured an ebook reader app was a given for it. An Android emulator would satisfy me too, the user interface of WebOS is excellent, it just doesn't have software. In my opinion, that's an issue...

meggiedude, I did not realize bookmarking a page where you left off was a "niche'y functionality" Adobe reader on PCs has this "niche'y functionality". Reader on TouchPad seems extremely bare. This may not be HP's fault but a tablet seems like the type of device you would use for reading books and not a device intended to use as running graphic or video editing programs or typing important documents.
    the pdf format is horrible for ebooks
    the pdf format is horrible period
    epub is much better on many levels
    preader works fine with epubs

because it doesn't work with some arbitrary crap proprietary format that isn't designed for ebooks is a fairly weak reason for dissing it

wait till you find out your new ipad doesn't do flash, you'll have an aneurism
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    The Adobe reader also doesn't let you key in the page number. Instead the user has to scroll through a list of page numbers until you find the correct one. It is as if Adobe only meant it to be used for <10 page PDFs. I'm not sure if this can be patched or not to allow a text field for entering a number or saving bookmarks. If it can, some clever person will have it in preware at some point.
    mp3markel likes this.
    mp3markel,

If you don't like the device, as stated above I'm sure there are plenty of other members who would be willing to take it off of your hands for the full price you paid for it. So far your posts seem to be intended to simply bait other members and webOS fans into an argument. I hope this isn't the case.
    bevcraw likes this.
    So - this device is a rip-off because it perhaps doesn't have 1 specific feature and you haven't yet figured out how to do another thing.
    And you haven even checked what the alternatives can and cannot do.

For perspective let#s see what omebody like you could write in another forum:

"I had a look at this IPad. What a rip-off. This laptop-priced device has to stop one app before I can start another? I thought single-tasking had died out in the early 90s.

And what's with the browser - can't even play flash it seems. There's all these web sites that use flash and I can't use it. I'm supposed to hunt for an app - if that even exists for the site. This sux.

Haven't looked at the other tablets - but these are basic functions for computers for 1-2 decades.
    "

I bet that the number of people who will even try (let alone keep using) Android on the TP will be < 1%.

What you could have written:
    "Hey folks - got me one of those $149 TP deals. There's a couple things I have problems with.
    Would appreciate helpful tips or app recommendations for the following ..."

But no worries. You will have 0 problems to re-sell this over-priced device. ;-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast