Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Matt V
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    My Best Buy Story - Store #1494 Heritage Trace, Fort Worth TX

This morning I headed to my local Best Buy around 11:30. I asked if they happened to be getting any HP Touchpads in and the girl working in computers said that the truck would be in this evening. I proceeded to go home. I called the store back 2-3 times to make sure the truck hadn't come in yet, and the lady said the estimated arrival time was between 2-8 PM. It was 2:30 at that point and I decided to head up there and just wait it out.

I get there around 3 and talk to the same people as before, just shooting the ****. About 20 minutes later, 10-15 people are waiting around computers for TP's. I talk to the guy I know there (we worked together at another BB store a couple of years ago) and the store manager decides to get a line going. I of course made hast and got to the front of the line. The warehouse manager then proceeds to come out and tell everyone that the TP's will go on sale @ 6 PM. This was the line after 25 mins.

At that point, people were getting antsy. I had to stand in front of 2 rednecks (not to be stereotypical) who would not shut up about having to wait 2 hours in line. They also talked about how they picked a couple up at another store and were stocking up. A few minutes after, the warehouse manager came by with print out vouchers.

(stated one per customer per household, no returns/warranty)

I was #1 for the 16GB, oh joy! By this point the line had already wrapped around the back. Word from the warehouse manager was that they would be receiving 50ish 16GB and 60ish 32GB units. BB clearly stated in line that it was one per customer in line, though people would cheat by bringing multiple friends or their family. People had vouchers for their kids so that they could buy one. Finally though, it was time to go. This was the line right before they brought them out (line was wrapped around the corner).

Once it was 6, they started ringing people up. They brought 2 customers at a time and requested the voucher and asked about accessories. Employees set up a stand with screen protectors, cases, chargers, etc. Here were the TP's stacked up against the register.

The BB employee (ended up being my friend I talked to earlier) rang me up and I was on my way. So I ended up with one of these bad boys!

----------

Lessons learned from this?

- Don't listen to anyone online about ANYTHING regarding local store stock, some Best Buy employees themselves didn't know what was going on. Talk directly to a manager or someone that seems like they know what they're talking about.

- GO DIRECTLY TO A STORE, DON'T CALL. My situation was a little different because I could get through to customer service at my store very easily. Some people have stores with 10+ people on hold, just go to the store and find out yourself.

- GET TO YOUR STORE EARLY. Go when they open. If they haven't gotten them yet but expect them that day, you need to wait it out. If you don't have time to then you won't be getting one, unfortunately that's how it goes. If you are there when they open and you know they are getting some, they can't lie to you about not having any.

- IF YOU JUST SAW IT ON BEST BUYS TRACKER THE STORE IS ALREADY SOLD OUT. These tablets went FAST and I mean FAST! If there is inventory online, they will almost be guaranteed to be gone by the time you get there. Unless you live very close to the store or are lucky, you probably won't get one.

----------

Hope you guys enjoyed my brief BB experience regarding the HP TP! Good luck to you guys!
    Last edited by MattV; 08/24/2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Tikerz and jonavalon like this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Ya the local best buy here sold out almost instantly. Called only an hour before and the employee said that they were out and not getting any more. Cannot really believe anyone
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Nice first post! Welcome!

Edit: You might have the record for longest membership before 1st post.
    I reserved mine online. The only downside is that I needed to call best buy to get my price match.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post

I just joined yesterday. I also noticed all of my other settings were reset as well. Oh well, I'll take it.
  6. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post

Ah the good old 2002 Pre
    This pretty much sounds like my experience when I got my 80 gig Metal Gear Solid 4 Playstation 3 from BB years ago--stood outside in line for the midnight release for a few hours, got a voucher, went in, did the shuffle along the tables to pick up a box, walked to the register, BAM, out of the store inside of five minutes (save for the wait time outside).
    To be honest, I don't like BB, their prices, or their ever-changing policies and overzealous sales reps--but they finally learned how to handle a crowd. I'm going to be making an attempt at my store first thing tomorrow morning seeing as it showed up on the store finder.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Nice, sounds similar to my experience on Sunday. I called the night before to check if they had stock at Grapevine and Heritage trace. Heritage said they didn't but told me Grapevine did. I called them but they denied or said they couldn't sell. Even though the site said in-stock, but not long after it was listed out of stock. In the morning i decided to go the Grapevine Best Buy 1-2 hours before it opened. They came out saying if you reserved you can get it now, but if not don't hold your luck as they didn't have much in stock. I was able to be 3rd in line and thankfully the store manager came out and said they only had 3 left in stock that wasn't online reserved. So the line that formed was forced to leave and they only allowed the first 3 people in. I was happy to get a chance to snag whatever was in stock and i left the store 32GB model.

lol stopped by the Heritage Trace location today around the time you were there, saw the big line. Was interesting seeing everyone walk out with a Touchpad. Makes me wish i just waited to get the 16GB to save the cash. But as im typing this now while watching movies on it, it's safe to say i need the extra space.

I'm loving this Touchpad, hope you have fun with yours!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    lol, I can see the two rednecks right behind you Bet you wish you'd brought headphones
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Yeah, it was rather annoying. Oh well at least I ended up with a TP.