Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I purchased 3 32GB HP TouchPads over the weekend from Amazon and received them today and after setting them up and comparing them side by side something I've noticed is that one has a screen that is noticebly brighter with better white balance than the other two which are dimmer and have more of a warm tint.

I double checked by resetting all three TouchPads and have all three set to max brightness with the auto dim feature disabled. They are all running software version 3.0.0. I called HP about it and seems the only thing they can offer me is an exchange for a recertified one.

Have any of the rest of you had the chance to compare screens on two or more different TouchPads and notice a better quality screen on one than the other? I'm guessing HP is using different manufacturers for the touch screens like Apple also does and its sort of just luck of the draw on which one you get.
    Last edited by burningrave101; 08/24/2011 at 02:37 PM.
  2. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Have only gotten one so far.. but have to make sure, did you turn the auto-dim feature off on all of them before you checked them out?
  3.    #3  
    Yes I've disabled the auto dim feature and set them all to max brightness. One is just a lot brighter and doesn't have the warm tint that the other two 32GB models do. And all three are running software version 3.0.0.
    I noticed the same! My boyfriend got a 32gb TP and I got a 16gb. My screen is really bright compared to his, and with the same brightness adjustments. I thought it was just my idea but now it seems other people can notice the same
  5.    #5  
    Yeah its definitely not just a minor difference that you have to squint both eyes to see or something. This one 32GB TouchPad has backlighting that is at least 50% brighter than the other two. I'll see if I can't get some photos of them side by side tomorrow in the daylight.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    mine seems really dim. have another one coming i might "open" it and see how bright the screen is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericj09 View Post
    mine seems really dim. have another one coming i might "open" it and see how bright the screen is
    Hey look at me. I already have one and have another on the way.
    Must be nice!
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Heh I worked for hours to procure these two. Snagged one on amazon lightning deals and the other I stayed up overnight to snag from OD. Really thought the OD one wouldn't come through since I had another one paid for and ready for instore pickup, yet they sold it to someone else. But back to the dim screen this one is extreemly dim
    Quote Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
    Yes I've disabled the auto dim feature and set them all to max brightness. One is just a lot brighter and doesn't have the warm tint that the other two 32GB models do. And all three are running software version 3.0.0.
    That's your problem. There's a bug with auto-dim in 3.0.0. You need to update to 3.0.2.
    I compared two TP's side by side both w 3.02, one screen was whiter than the other one. Infact I increased the brightness on the yellower TP to highest while leaving auto dim on the whiter TP and still there was a big difference. Wonder why
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    yes, different manufacturers I believe like apple. Same two I believe, lg and samsung. In fact, they are the same exact displays i'm sure.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    maybe you could take a picture of the two side by side?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    yes, different manufacturers I believe like apple. Same two I believe, lg and samsung. In fact, they are the same exact displays i'm sure.
    Yeah I'd say the brighter one with the better white balance is the lg and the samsung is the dimmer one with the warm tint. At least that is the way it was from my experience with several Apple devices.
    Might this be similar to the yellow residue issue that was on the iPhone 4 and iPad 2? That was caused by bonding agents used in the manufacture of the screens not having completely cured, but would eventually resolve itself.

iPad 2 Yellow Screen Tinting Likely to Go Away Like iPhone 4? - Mac Rumors
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Here's proof. The screen on top was purchased from Costco on July 31st. The screen on he bottom just arrived today from HP that i ordered this weekend. Sorry for the large picture.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    do you prefer one to the other? do you like the brighter one better?
    You know I just looked at two I have here and noticed the same thing. There is more to it than just the color temperature, though.

The "colder" one, like the lower one in the picture above, seems to have a much wider range when dimming. It will actually get very dim (but completely readable) in the dark. The "warmer" colored one doesn't get nearly so dim.

If I turn off the auto-dim feature, though, they seem equally as bright, imo.
    I like the cooler brighter one better. When I first used the warmer one, I thought why was the screen so warm (coming from an iPad 1). Now I am glad Costco isn't price matching!
    There is definitely a big difference when going from 3.0.0 to 3.0.2 - when I first booted up my TP the screen was bordering on unacceptably dim with the auto brightness off. After upgrade it is much better. Mind you I'm not saying there aren't two different screen types in these - a comparison with my iPad 1 shows that the iPad is slightly brighter at max with a colder white balance, so I suspect I have one of the lesser screens in mine.
    Yes, I like the cooler one, as well. If there were some calibration software available you could tweak the other to be more acceptable, too, but I suppose some people like a warmer screen.

I've seen iPod/iPhone/iPad's the same way, all based on where Apple sourced the panel.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast