Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Here's proof. The screen on top was purchased from Costco on July 31st. The screen on he bottom just arrived today from HP that i ordered this weekend. Sorry for the large picture.

Click to view quoted image
    Mine looks more like the bottom picture (non yellow)

1. when booting up with the hp logo and black screen, tons of white leakage on the left and bottom

2. Do not notice any white leakage except while booting. Odd.

3. I think I have the LG panel as it is bright, not yellow or warm, but the whites seem rather grayish even with auto dim off and brightness maxed out. No way I could be lucky enough to get a high quality Sammy panel. Heck, even among Samsung panels there exists tons of variation (according to Sammy tv owners at least).

4. S/N 5CL1210

I would consider my panel to be a "good" one, maybe not "best" but it gets super bright and no yellowing of whites.
    Last edited by xninjagrrl; 10/14/2011 at 06:47 AM.
    I have got identical problem with pink/reddish hue on my Touchpad. It looks pretty awful and seriously affects colour reproduction and text readability.

Finally, there is solution for this now!

1. Install Android on your Touchpad:

[RELEASE][ALPHA][Discussion] CyanogenMod team Touchpad port

2. Install Color calibration tool from this link:

[HACK] Calibration profile for Nexus One v5.1, now with 100% less Sith! - xda-developers

On my screen, dropping RED value from 1000 to 700 makes the hue gone and the display looks perfect now with almost ideal white balance! This fix will only work in Android unfortunately

It is a shame that such tool is not available for webOS though...
    Yes..yet another chunk of WebOS 'tunability' just totally missing!

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aszu View Post
    . Install Android on your Touchpad:

um..yeah. That's not really a solution. Its like saying
    'hey something is wrong with my ford'
    'oh, I know how to fix it. go buy a honda. That'll fix my problems'
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    um..yeah. That's not really a solution. Its like saying
    'hey something is wrong with my ford'
    'oh, I know how to fix it. go buy a honda. That'll fix my problems'
    Um.. No.. isn't it more like saying 'stick a decently tunable (free, dual-bootable) Honda ENGINE into your Ford chassis? It fits!'

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/14/2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    that still won't solve the problem for webos people. I mean, really his solution for people with this problem to basically stop using webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    that still won't solve the problem for webos people. I mean, really his solution for people with this problem to basically stop using webos.
    I agree. But at least it retains a functionality of the 'faulty' Machines!
    Android will improve.. and it seems many simply bought their TP's to await an Android port anyway!

Or get/request a colour calibration tool 'patch' specifically for WebOS?
    It must be a matter of a Display Driver-mod with three 'sliders'.. and in my opinion should really have been there as a part of WebOS anyway!

My gf's touchpad and mine are from the same box, right next to each other, and differ in serial number by 2 digits. Mine has a very warm colored display, hers has a very cool colored display. This is extremely evident in GVoice, which is blue-grey-white themed. Didn't notice it until yesterday, when I was running tests on the app, and had them right next to each other, but it's a HUGE difference.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I totally agree that some color calibration tool should be included in webOS by HP, especially as it seems that screen quality varies significantly betwen individual units. This is probably not going to happen though.

Personally, I think that while webOS is a pretty nice and user-friendly OS with great gesture/multitasking control, there is no point sticking to this dead system when Android port is finished (and upcoming ICS is supposed to be really great). At the current state Android port is pretty usabe, if you can live with shorter battery live and occasional sleep issue & glitches. It will get only better from now.
    yeah mine is 1210 but warm and less bright compared to other ones in my family...mine just got back from repair too...and the screen does appear to be a little more clear but id rather have it more bright...also there is a yellow leak when i boot my touchpad now
    The amount of power to do on the fly display correction in software is pretty damn serious, compared to what we have available for usage here. Hopefully the hardware supports it on its own, which would make such a toll possible, but . . Well . . Hmm. Are there any color correction things for X?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I noticed the same thing with the second TP I got, then I discovered something: when you turn auto-dim off it locks into the setting it was at at that moment. If you turned auto-dim off in a dark room, your screen will never go to full brightness. Try this: turn auto-dim back on, set your screen to full bright, then shine a flashlight into your light sensor. This will force the screen to maximum brightness. Now, with the flashlight still on, turn off auto-dim. That did it for me.
    My screen has FOUR LIGHTS!!
    i have two touchpads:
    1 16gb 5CL1230XXX
    1 32gb 5CL1240XXX

Both are on 3.0.2
    Both screens are white when white, no yellowing. But the 16gb is maybe 10% dimmer? Both have auto dim off, max brightness.
    There are two 32 gb touchpads here. One is older than the other. The older one has a warmer screen. The newer one has a colder screen. Both are white, just the colour temperature is different. I elected to use the warmer screen even though the colder one had a slight bit more contrast and a slight bit more colour saturation. The reason was because in terms of balanced colour the warmer one was more accurate.. the colder one had too much blue in it. You can correct that in Android, but this isn't Android.

XtC-604: Try what stephndudb said in #112 on the 16gb. I was playing with it today, he is correct, it does change the brightness.. my procedure was to go to a dimmer area, turn the auto-dim on, slide to minimum, then cover the sensor with my hand until I saw it get even dimmer. Then I put the flashlight on the sensor and slid the slider to maximum and kept the flashlight there until I turned auto-dim off.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456