Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I have two different screens also. The colors look the same but the black and white look different. One has brighter whites and blacks that aren't as dark. The brighter one also has a little more light bleed only seen in black backgrounds
    Warm: 5CL1280
    Cold: 5CL1271

Doesn't look like the serial number method is going to work very well.
    The warmer screens seem to be built a bit better though, as they have significantly less play and creek as the brighter screens all-around. I'm guessing this is due to a slightly thinner screen in the "cold" TouchPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by zefyx View Post
    The warmer screens seem to be built a bit better though, as they have significantly less play and creek as the brighter screens all-around. I'm guessing this is due to a slightly thinner screen in the "cold" TouchPads.
    what is play and creek?

i'm not sure which one to give away. the 32gb with brighter screen and more light bleed, or the 16gb warmer screen and less light bleed lol
    My experience doesn't follow this. My "cooler" screen TP is better made than the warmer one (or at least the screen is more flush with the case in the cool one and sticks out a bit, particularly near the speakers, on the warm one).
    I have two touchpads and noticed a big difference as some have noted... one was cooler colored while the other was warm... after playing with the warmer colored for awhile (and letting the other one rest), I then compared it to the cooler colored one and noticed that they both swapped colors... The original warmer one was now cool and the original cool one was now warm...

Sooo, I don't think this is a defect or that they are using lesser quality screens, I just think that this is a function that serves a purpose... kinda like how one of the cores seems to stay idle while the other one does the work, UNTIL the time comes for the idle core to kick in... maybe it's like this with the screens... It has to be, there's no other explanation.... someone else try to replicate this
    No play and creak on my 5CL127s.
    I was lucky enough to receive a 32 GB model yesterday, after I had a 16 GB one since last week. However, the screen is _very_ noticeably yellower than the one on the 16GB tablet. :-(

I guess there won't be any colour adjustment patches on preware, are there?
    I just notified HP / Palm through their feedback formular and asked whether color adjustements are somehow possible. If this shouldn't be the case, I suggested to implement color settings into the next update. If you're interested in doing so as well (I myself have to admit that I'm pretty unhappy with the screen color), here you'll find the feedback / request website:

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    There are a few different LCD panel types on the market right now.

Basically there is Samsung, LG, Sharp and Panasonic. At this time Samsung has the greatest contrast range. Their panel will show the blackest black and purist white. After that it gets interesting. Panasonic has been investing more money in the Plasma market theses days. That leaves LG and Sharp. Sharps panels tend to have a bluish white. LG more of a faded gray.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    It's really a dilemma. As soon as I got a 16GB TP it bothered me, that I had not gotten a 32GB one. Now that I grabbed a 32GB TP, I find the screen pretty annoying compared to the other one.

Damn. Now I'm really uncertain which one to keep.
    I noticed this back in July when I upgraded my 16GB to a 32GB, the minute I turned it on and got to the welcome screen, I noticed the warmer tint and I absolutely couldn't stand it, so I went back for an exchange. When I went to get my friend one at staples when it was $200 off that one weekend, his also had the warm tint and we exchanged that one also. It sucks for everyone that bought one recently and can't exchange it...

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    This was just about the only thread I could find on this subject and it doesn't look like much has been concluded about the serial number or any other possible culprit.
    I will be following up with HP and hopefully, one day, we will have an answer or workaround.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Personally:
    I have no brightness issue, but . . .
    My 1240 (32GB) is more green/grey/brown/yellow
    My 1280 (16GB) is more red/pink/violet

Two things I have noticed and I thought I'd contribute . . .
    1. The color/hue of my "Center" button also varies between my touchpads, respectively
    2. When using the app "Flashlight HD", I have noticed a much wider range of color variation
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Two units, one is a refurb replacement from HP. I will be sending it back as unacceptable & ask them to go ahead & repair my good device. It's like the bad one is missing a significant 'blue' level & the yellow is off the charts. White isn't white, it's yellow.

S/N Good: 5CL1210
    S/N Bad: 5CL1190

We have a 3rd that I don't have with me right now (it's my wife's) and it matches the quality of the 'good' unit.

Picture is attached so that people can see how bad the difference is on this refurb. The TouchPad's are stacked one on top of the other, it is not a split image. Both are 3.0.2 on max brightness & no auto-dim.

Anyone have any luck finding a way to adjust internal LCD settings?
    I compared mine using the same app to both of yours and it doesn't look like either one of them. Where the top block on your good screen is blue and looks to be off white on the bad one, mine is pink. The bar that connects to that block appears to be two shades of aqua on your screens and it's a much darker blue-purple on mine. Also the bottom bar that appears pink on both of yours is a dark salmon color. My screen seems bright enough (bright enough to hurt your eyes on a white screen at night), but the whites are anywhere from very dirty yellow at lower brightness settings to just very mildly dingy at full brightness, it depends on the angle at which it's viewed also.

The image adjustments idea would be great, I hope it materializes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgbeezr1 View Post
    I compared mine using the same app to both of yours and it doesn't look like either one of them. Where the top block on your good screen is blue and looks to be off white on the bad one, mine is pink. The bar that connects to that block appears to be two shades of aqua on your screens and it's a much darker blue-purple on mine. Also the bottom bar that appears pink on both of yours is a dark salmon color. My screen seems bright enough (bright enough to hurt your eyes on a white screen at night), but the whites are anywhere from very dirty yellow at lower brightness settings to just very mildly dingy at full brightness, it depends on the angle at which it's viewed also.

Mine is pink and bottom bar is salmon color too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgbeezr1 View Post

It's hard to pick up in the picture, I had a Veer in bad light (office florescent), but the top left is actually more purple than blue, and the bad is more pink than white. I think we are closer in color than how the picture looks. Because of the camera shot, it is really only good for showing that there is a dramatic difference between the two.

I have since returned the lighter one to HP. It just doesn't compare to how rich the colors are on this other unit. Whites are white, and blacks are black. I really hope, along with the rest of you, that we soon get the opportunity to adjust these.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    kgbeezr1#WN likes this.
    warm (yellow) 5cl1241
    cold (blue?) 5cl1210
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Much moreso than the LCD panel, the color of the TP is affected by the LED backlights. White LEDs are notoriously inconsistent in color temperature and are much more likely than CFL to not match their advertised kelvin rating.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I talked to HP about my dim / yellow screen. They are sending me an advanced exchange refub for free(other than the 365 hold on my account.) Figured this was the best was to go so if the new one is faulty I can reject it and keep my yellow one.
    Has anyone directly compared one of the whiter/cooler HP TouchPad screens with an iPad 2 screen? I just opened my HP TouchPad and its definitely dimmer than my iPad 2, but I don't know if I have the yellowish TouchPad screen or the whiter one.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast