Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    There is definitely a big difference when going from 3.0.0 to 3.0.2 - when I first booted up my TP the screen was bordering on unacceptably dim with the auto brightness off. After upgrade it is much better. Mind you I'm not saying there aren't two different screen types in these - a comparison with my iPad 1 shows that the iPad is slightly brighter at max with a colder white balance, so I suspect I have one of the lesser screens in mine.
    That's prob because of the auto-dim bug in 3.0.0. The bug caused issues disabling auto-dim. It also limited the max brightness of the screen even when auto-dim was off.
    Does the serial number indicate which screen you have?

If you've compared two side-by-side, please post any variations in the serial numbers. If you know yours is more yellow or more white, please post part or all of your serial number.

There's got to be a pattern. Maybe ones manufactured first had one screen, while later ones had a different screen. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox31 View Post
    Does the serial number indicate which screen you have?
    "cooler" screen: 5cl1190xxx
    "warmer" screen: 5cl1210xxx
    Because hp doesnt seem to get anything right. But i saw a youtube video today tgat was done when the tp first came out in july and the reviewer complained about how dim the screen was. He then compared it to an ipad2 screen which was like night and day. I wonder if hp had any quality control at all the tps. Probably not.
    So "cooler" is more white and "warmer" is more yellow? I'm debating if I should open my 5CL1210xxx 32 gig because I want the more white screen. Thanks!
  6. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    "cooler" screen: 5cl1190xxx
    "warmer" screen: 5cl1210xxx
    Crap. My boxed 32GB TP is 5CL120xxxx

Right in the middle!
    So "cooler" is more white and "warmer" is more yellow? I'm debating if I should open my 5CL1210xxx 32 gig because I want the more white screen. Thanks!
    Correct.

If others cold post their serial numbers, we could verify if the yellow/warm LCD is in the later builds.
  8. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hmmm.

my open TP is: 5CL124xxxx

I can't tell if it's dim or bright. Seems bright to me, but I dunno?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSA View Post
    Hmmm.

my open TP is: 5CL124xxxx

I can't tell if it's dim or bright. Seems bright to me, but I dunno?
    I, honestly, can't tell the difference between my two TP's unless I have them side by side. There's certainly a "temperature" difference in the color but I wouldn't say dimness is a problem with either one. So, I think any issues with being too dim are slightly if not completely independent of the warmer/cooler variance.
    my serial number is 120xx and the screen is perfect. None of the screens are as bright as the iPad 2. One test showed 92% brightness to the iPad screen. I'm sure that is software, so hopefully a patch can be made for those who want the 8% more brightness.
    these screens are exactly the same as the ipad2, they are ips screens. I wouldn't worry about what screen you got. Be really glad you got a touchpad . . It is the deal of the decade and the best tablet on the market at any price anyway.
    I'm slowly working through setting up a few for friends:

5CL121-the blue wallpaper is very blue in the purple family
    this is the tint I use on my computer monitor when I calibrate it for movies

5CL124--the blue wallpaper is aqua color, more in the green family

Both seem about the same brightness to me
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'm slowly working through setting up a few for friends:

5CL121-the blue wallpaper is very blue in the purple family
    this is the tint I use on my computer monitor when I calibrate it for movies

5CL124--the blue wallpaper is aqua color, more in the green family

Both seem about the same brightness to me
    Is that a 5CL1210 for the first one? It sounds like a "cooler" calibrated screen and, if so, means the serial number won't necessarily tell us anything about the panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Is that a 5CL1210 for the first one? It sounds like a "cooler" calibrated screen and, if so, means the serial number won't necessarily tell us anything about the panel.
    Look at that wallpaper where the dock is in the water and the clouds are above.
    In the 1210, the clouds are more reddish purple so I would say it is warmer
    In the 1240 the clouds are whitish purple, less of a storm, the lake is more of blueish aqua rather than a blueish purple

I'd take a picture but the Pre camera doesnt pick up the colors.
    I don't know what my original serial # was in the picture from Costco since I boxed it up and ready to return (and I cut out the bar code with serial # to get the early adopter rebate), but the cooler temp one straight from HP is 5CL1240.
    Thanks for posting these serial numbers and color temperatures. It looks like there's no correlation between serial number and screen, based on this small sample. Hopefully it can be tweaked in software.

I'm really tempted to take mine apart and see the manufacturer label on the screen. There's no warranty to void.
    Thanks for posting these serial numbers and color temperatures. It looks like there's no correlation between serial number and screen, based on this small sample. Hopefully it can be tweaked in software.

I'm really tempted to take mine apart and see the manufacturer label on the screen. There's no warranty to void.
    HP will warranty for 1 year. That may mean they would give a refurb or fix a broken TouchPad.
    Just to add to this, I have a 1261 and 1280 in front of me right now.

The 1261 is dimmer and the blues have a very greenish quality to them. The 1280 has much more vibrant, richer blues that more closely match my LCD monitor.

The biggest difference of all though is in the wallpaper that has a pier and lake. The 1280 has a pinkish sunset glow in the sky that is completely absent in the 1261.

Both devices are on 3.02
    Last edited by NuclearWinter; 08/30/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    I have 5cl1190xxx and mine seems like its the cooler one. I have 3.02 on it
    my tp is 5cl1179 and it looks like the cool and bright one. Looks very bright and vibrant
    I have compared 4 Touchpads (2 16 GB versions and 2 32 GB versions). One of the 16 GB versions has a noticeably brighter, whiter screen when I set all 4 to the same screen setting.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast