Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Astronomer
  • 2 Post By Astronomer
  • 2 Post By Fisack23
  • 1 Post By torifile
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My employer is a HP-focused VAR. These paragraphs were part of a communication that was sent to our CEO this evening that he forwarded to the employees:

“HP has made the decision not to continue developing webOS devices. However, the
    company is deeply committed to the future of the webOS platform. HP is also fully
    committed to the ongoing support and service of customers who purchased webOS
    devices. We will honor our product warranties and will continue to provide market
    leading support via services such as webOS Butler, our free setup support service
    available to all purchasers of HP webOS products for the first 90 days after purchase.

Furthermore, HP intends to enhance the webOS platform and ecosystem and support,
    innovate and develop applications that deliver relevant and compelling benefits to the
    markets in which we compete. HP TouchPad owners can look forward to a continued
    delightful experience, over-the-air updates that enhance the platform and add
    functionality and a growing applications catalog.”

Things aren't looking so bad...
    untitled and LordSecksie like this.
  2.    #2  
    Note: I bought a Touchpad 32 Gb this past weekend from a local Staples. I really, really like it! I wasn't in the market for a tablet until a friend emailed me Friday night regarding the deal that she got. I've overclocked it, stopped some logging services, removed ads from the browser etc, and it is very responsive. I actually like the interface better than the iPad (OS's are a kind of hobby of mine). this notice from HP makes me feel better about the future of the OS.
    daffy4u and micahdg like this.
    Just tonight I had two people tell me "Why buy a Touchpad when they aren't going to be supported anymore?" I have responded by saying that that's not what the HP announcement said - it's that they weren't producing WebOS DEVICES, but that they would still be supporting and developing WebOS apps.

People hear what they want to hear.
    RoverNole and kjb86 like this.
    great news to WebOS fans worldwide !
    Sounds like a bunch of marketing speak to me.
    gmlongo likes this.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Just tonight I had two people tell me "Why buy a Touchpad when they aren't going to be supported anymore?" I have responded by saying that that's not what the HP announcement said - it's that they weren't producing WebOS DEVICES, but that they would still be supporting and developing WebOS apps.

People hear what they want to hear.
    There were a number of places that reported WebOS wasn't going to be supported and a number of editorials concluded it would fall off fairly soon, so it's not necessarily Joe Streets fault for the miss-communication. I've corrected a number of my friends and family members who felt the need to send me an email when they heard WebOS was dead.

All that salt I was saving for each Sprint Pre3 rumor driven into the wound from them dropping devices with each email and facebook message
    Last edited by Honis; 08/23/2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: english maybe
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    finally a statement from HP we can believe
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    finally a statement from HP we can believe
    I don't know why, but this little sentence made me actually physically crack a laugh.

Dry witty sarcasm at it's best . Thanks for that.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Just did a google exact search and most of that comes up in HP press releases on the web. Seems legit and good news for future support...

edit: doh busted link.... Bad cut n paste

edit: Must be old news this exact quote shows up in the comments (look for user xchrome) on the following page dated Aug 21...

http://www.neowin.net/news/hp-touchp...-of-99-and-149
    Last edited by akshunj; 08/23/2011 at 09:45 PM.