Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oh4Sh0
  1.    #1  
    My touchpad contacts show everything... facebook, gmail, aim, etc etc.

how do I get my touchpad to only show my gmail contacts? I turned off "contacts" for all my accounts except my gmail (which is what I want) but it still shows everything.

thought? Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I rarely go into the contacts app. The easiest way is to type the first and last initial in Just Type and you get all that contacts information at your fingertips (of course typing the name works as well). I have 800 contacts and I would never think of scrolling through these to find something.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    This really caught me off guard when I got my Palm Pre in '09. Thankfully I had not gotten into the bad habit of accepting friends on FB or other things for games or anything else. My brother on the other hand....he ended up deleting like 700 Mafia Wars friends so his phone would be cleaner.

This is Synergy - and it really is, even today, ahead of its time (even though its over 2 years old now). Think about it. You never have to make the announcement that you lost your phone and need people's numbers. Or need to input someones new email address. If they change in on FB, then viola, it's automatically updated on your devices.

My response isn't much help on how to limit it to gmail only, I know. What I'm trying to encourage you to do is harness this ability, don't shy away from it. I actually don't know how to limit it to gmail because my contacts are all cleaned up and linked up.

I suggust 2 things:
    1. clean up you FB and AIM friends list.
    2. go through your contacts and begin linking accounts. You only have to do it once (if webOS hasn't done it for you already)

good luck
    I don't have the touchpad but that irked me on the pre. I just removed facebook and aim from my contacts accounts so they delete them.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Agreed with ggendel, I've been using webOS since launch day so I'm used to it but you must learn to use Just Type. Whether its a contact or app or even just an action, Just Type makes life much easier.

And welcome!
    Your contacts app is supposed to be messy. It has EVERYTHING. If you're coming from a new OS, this might be a bit confusing, but the point is you should rarely ever be looking for people through the contacts app. Just start typing their name with just type and the touchpad will automatically pull up the matching results and every way possible for you to contact them.

I felt the same way you did when i got my pre 2 years ago. I think since then, i've ran the contacts app maybe twice. I use just type so instinctively now that i can't imagine ever doing it the old way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Your contacts app is supposed to be messy. It has EVERYTHING. If you're coming from a new OS, this might be a bit confusing, but the point is you should rarely ever be looking for people through the contacts app. I use just type so instinctively now that i can't imagine ever doing it the old way.
    The old way??!?!?!! That's awesome - because other platforms keep doing it THAT way. It is something to get used to...but once you do, you can't imagine having to thumb through contacts.

Just Type: another feature of webOS that is not understood by non-users. Maybe we need a list of these things, how the differ, and how they are superior.
  8.    #8  
    Stop using contacts. Got it. Thanks guys. I'll just have to get used to typing for my contacts.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
    The old way??!?!?!! That's awesome - because other platforms keep doing it THAT way. It is something to get used to...but once you do, you can't imagine having to thumb through contacts.

Just Type: another feature of webOS that is not understood by non-users. Maybe we need a list of these things, how the differ, and how they are superior.
    I'm curious, what's the advantage of Just Type compared to Spotlight on iOS/OSX? Obviously I'm still waiting for my TouchPad otherwise I'd test it myself, but based on what I'm reading they're very similar.
    its similar but much more powerful for quickly accomplishing a task, rather than finding an object to open. But similar.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    its similar but much more powerful for quickly accomplishing a task, rather than finding an object to open. But similar.
    Awesome. I actually just now read an article describing Just Type + Quick Action, which looks like what you were talking about with it running a task instead of just finding an object.

I remember when I first learned to use Spotlight on my Macbook years ago (and later on the search box on Windows 7 which is similar). It's just so simple, fast, and convenient way to get around it annoyed me if I couldn't do that (on a Windows XP system, for instance).
    <3 synergy. It's nice being able to say "oh yeah, ive already got your number, its on facebook, so its on my phone automagically."
    crazybirdman likes this.
    The initials search is better. You may have two Matthews, for example. But I rarely find more than two people with the same initials. When I search with my Evo, I can type: "matt....', but I know 5-6 matthews. You almost always still have to scroll. Try using initials and very rarely will you have more than one person pop up. WAY BETTER.
    Yeah, I never scroll through contacts anymore either. Once you get used to just type, you won't want to go back to any other way. WebOS is addictive. It's so subtle and elegant you might not realize it at first, but try to go back to another device after a couple of weeks. I remember when I first got my phone, even after a week I couldn't go back to my old treo. I kept trying to swipe up. (I liked the treo contact options better tho, being able to hide contacts/numbers etc.) Other phones annoy me now. I'm so sad I might never see a pre 3. Of course the way things are going, I might never get the touchpad either.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Don't have my TP anymore but I thought you can go to your various accounts in the launcher-settings tab-accounts, and turn off the contacts syncing on which ever account you don't want included in the synergy.
    Just type is definitely the best way to access a contact, or more accurately, to use a resource associated with a contact. But I don't know that this helps the OP much. It sounds like maybe his contacts from different sources haven't automatically connected. I never had this problem, but I can see how it would be annoying. If you have what appears to be multiple entries for the same person, you can link them, and then it will appear as one, but with data from everywhere. Synergy is actually one of the most powerful features of webOS in my opinion. I love that I just get all the Facebook and LinkedIn and etc. contact data through no effort of my own.
    if you go into accounts under the settings tab, edit your facebook acct and turn off contacts it should remove the facebook contacts from your contacts.

it worked for me on my pre and touchpad