Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ...Don't forget that before Apples reveal in early 2010, industry experts all al round the world pegged the launch price at 50% to 100% higher than it launched at. And this came from their knowledge of component pricing and profit margins specific to electronics and Apple.
    This is a good point, and I think many people forget that. I remember when everyone was speculating about the iPad before it launched. Many people thought it would be in the $700 - $1,000 range, and when they announced it at $500, people went bonkers as if it were on firesale, lol.
    I think you hit the nail on the head exactly when you call Leo out for being impulsive. Everytime he makes public statements, it shows his impulsiveness.

-He envisions HP being "Apple Cool" (As if that's something that can happen overnight)
    -He tells his employees to toss their iPhones & iPads out the windows. (To buy what, no new webOS devices were ready yet)
    -Devices will be ready to launch in weeks, not months after announcements (really???)
    -The TouchPad wont launch until it's perfect! (Looks like you launched it a month too early)

7 weeks after the TouchPad hits the market

-Man this thing isn't "Apple Cool" let's just stop making the TouchPad and webOS hardware all together.
    -While we're at it, let's get rid off our PC business, it's only generating $2 Billion a year in profits for us.
    -What will the future hold for our PC divison & webOS?? I don't know, I haven't planned that out yet. I'll think of something on today's conference call.
    -Hey, while I'm at it; let me take some of these billions of dollars that we're sitting on and buy Autonomy. I like Autonomy, $10 Billion seems like a good price. Yeah, let's buy 'em.

Yeah, I don't know how Leo sounds to folks when he's selling them on his ideas in the board room, but out here, this is what it sounds like.They need to just give him his millions, his stock options & whatever else is in his contract & send him on his merry way. He will sink HP in no time.

I'm sorry, it appears I went on a little rant. This was supposed to be about how a $99 tablets is the magic price point. Oh well, -Fire Leo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HI,

You left out one other sin of HP.....they rushed out a hardware design based on a tablet they had been working on for win7...it was a 2 year old design....the webOS software group told them a head of time that the software was already beyond the hardware...but Leo wanted it on the market ASAP....they the compounded their error by not waiting until webOS 3.1.1 was out and fixed most of the problems that the pre-reviews and reviews had....

Leo is arrogant, wants immediate gratification instead of having it right...he's impulsive and I assume no matter how he packs the board I don't think they stockholders will be amused by his vacillation, constant changing his mind and deceiving the public and now by basically kissing of $1.2 billion investment, (not to mention the hundreds of millions poured into webOS and hardware up until he killed it off).

Even this friends on the board have to answer to the stockholders...whose investment in HP is now worth a fraction of what it was before his brief brilliant career at HP! The stockholders are also going want to know what HP will do with webOS...if they can't license it off or incorporate it into something else...it will be the albatross around Leo's neck that will sink him....after all they will want to see some kind of return after spending $1.2 billion

Leo was too foolish to have the ads say we maybe slightly thicker and slightly heavier than the iPad 2, but we have wireless charging and touch to share....but they left that out of the ads!
    Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I really disagree with 300 build cost.
    look a pc once retailed at 3,000 usd then it was mass produced and overtime the cost came down
    now they can sell a working laptop for 299 usd

A tablet is a lot less than that 299 pc.

the most expensive components are
    1. Screen
    2. Processor

memory and ram are not very expensive at 16 and 32gb

the rest is pennies honestly

In USA Today an article today is about a Philly paper selling readers a $99 Android tablet if they subscribe

This whole notion "no one can profit so it can't or won't be done " is false.

I don't know. No offense your speculating about pc costs which likely have cheaper screens anyways while someone else actually made an itemized list with specific parts numbers and prices. I'm much more inclined to trust their work then yours. And according to this memory actually does cost more then the processor.
    http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/New...Materials.aspx
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    comes down to economy of scale, simple, largest pc maker in the world walks into your office, says "we plan on hitting apple tween the eyes" and " what is your best and i do mean your best price on this?".. pls people think about this, tablets in this form are somewhat new, tablets as a whole are not. yes things cost, but, and here is the kicker, " we are going to build about 51 million of these things per year in the next year,, give us a good price" of course they got their price. is it 150 per unit, hmm possibly, was it less unlikely, its sure as heck not 250 or 260 per unit. look at it this way, the factory only saw the 50 plus million ipads sold,, and dropped their pants for HP... you do the math on that,, the factory would have made millions, HP if ol Leo hadnt of blinked would have made a few billion.. this is not rocket science.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    comes down to economy of scale, simple, largest pc maker in the world walks into your office, says "we plan on hitting apple tween the eyes" and " what is your best and i do mean your best price on this?".. pls people think about this, tablets in this form are somewhat new, tablets as a whole are not. yes things cost, but, and here is the kicker, " we are going to build about 51 million of these things per year in the next year,, give us a good price" of course they got their price. is it 150 per unit, hmm possibly, was it less unlikely, its sure as heck not 250 or 260 per unit. look at it this way, the factory only saw the 50 plus million ipads sold,, and dropped their pants for HP... you do the math on that,, the factory would have made millions, HP if ol Leo hadnt of blinked would have made a few billion.. this is not rocket science.
    You can look at it like that but then you have to start raising up those costs again when you consider the other costs relating to the TouchPad. Design and development both for the hardware and the software. Then their's assembly, advertising, and administration costs for the Synergy servers. The App Catalog might be able to sustain itself with currently small app revenue but the rest of that stuff all adds up and increases the overall per unit cost.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123