Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Think about it, a lot of people that would never have bought any tablet, or maybe a cheap android tablet, and even a lot of people that has never even heard of a tablet, will be using this touchpad, discovering how wonderfully useful a tablet is!

In the short term, it will kill android sales, maybe some ipad sales... but the touchpad will get old, and now all these people that would never have bought a tablet, have fallen in love with how wonderful a tablet is... they will move on to the next best thing, and unless android steps up, that will be iOS.

I hope HP sells webOS to a company that knows what they have.. the best OS, thats needs some support to get off the ground. HP has taken care of the getting off the ground part! lol
    Dynax9 likes this.
    If you read some of the post seems a majority of the folks who purchased the touchpad are waitng to port Android on it. Seems a Win for Android in a way. Problem is almost no one who buys it is buying it because of webos but they do get exposed but the sever lack of apps and abilities to do some of the things the Ipad and Android tablets can do will probally sour them a little.
    Premium1 likes this.
    I know I bought a Touchpad as an alternative until I can buy an iPad.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I bought a Touchpad because I liked the look of WebOS, but not enough to get one over the iPad2's stronger development scene. At $99 it's a no brainer to check it out fairly inexpensively.

I'll only put Android on it when the device is so clearly abandoned by HP that it becomes useless without updating the software to Android. WebOS is the only other tablet OS that interests me beside iOS.

Android never had a chance with me. It's ugly as sin and the users are cheap, which hurts the quality of the software available for the platform.
    Titano likes this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    if they just want browser, email, skype, pandora, angry bird, comics/ebooks, videos, photos - then they will all be happy once they patch it and overclock it. I would say that about 60% of the population fit in this group. If they want more apps then it's going to disappoint them, but again this is $99... Also some apps have browser versions now (Amazon kindle) so it might only be a matter of time before more will be browser based

This thing is flying once patched and overclock. I'm giving this to my mom and little sister, and I'm seriously considering keeping one myself if I can snag an extra - I love this thing.
    I know there are people looking to port Android to the TouchPad but I believe those are in the extreme minority. A number of my friends bought one this weekend and they have every intention of using it as it was intended, as a webOS tablet.

Besides, replacing webOS with Android is like replacing a HEMI with a Daewoo. It's kind of a step down.
    Titano likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    If you read some of the post seems a majority of the folks who purchased the touchpad are waitng to port Android on it. Seems a Win for Android in a way. Problem is almost no one who buys it is buying it because of webos but they do get exposed but the sever lack of apps and abilities to do some of the things the Ipad and Android tablets can do will probally sour them a little.
    Couldn't say it better. There is nothing about the touchpad that will make anyone say they want another webos device. At least not for me. If I paid $500 for this I would be ****ed and return it to the store the next day.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I know there are people looking to port Android to the TouchPad but I believe those are in the extreme minority. A number of my friends bought one this weekend and they have every intention of using it as it was intended, as a webOS tablet.

Besides, replacing webOS with Android is like replacing a HEMI with a Daewoo. It's kind of a step down.
    lmao. Man you guys are so misinformed and gullible. I have never met a group of people that defend a product that has let them down over and over so passionately. WebOS has barely made any progress in the last 2 years while Android has been advancing at a rapid rate.

The WebOS apps are just so basic with barely any user options. Look at the browser on the touchpad. It has just a few basic options and that's it and runs really slow. The photo app is barebone and so is the email app. Basically the whole OS is barebone but still runs sluggish.

I get it that you are passionate about the OS but stop with the Android sucks nonsense.
    Premium1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    lmao. Man you guys are so misinformed and gullible. I have never met a group of people that defend a product that has let them down over and over so passionately. WebOS has barely made any progress in the last 2 years while Android has been advancing at a rapid rate.

The WebOS apps are just so basic with barely any user options. Look at the browser on the touchpad. It has just a few basic options and that's it and runs really slow. The photo app is barebone and so is the email app. Basically the whole OS is barebone but still runs sluggish.

I get it that you are passionate about the OS but stop with the Android sucks nonsense.
    But Android tablets, um, haven't. In fact, even before HP announced they were killing the TouchPad it was already the number two tablet. Sure, Android has a larger marketshare, but none of their tablets individually sell particularly well.
    Titano likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    There are a few more threads with this same topic. The TouchPad fire did not sale hurt Android tablets or iPad sales. The people that bought the 99.00 TP were never going to buy an iPad or Android tablet. If they were, they would have by now.

So it's not like consumers bought the TP instead of and an iPad/Android tablet. Price an iPad at 99.00, set it side by side with a TP, and tell me which one would sell more.
    But Android tablets, um, haven't. In fact, even before HP announced they were killing the TouchPad it was already the number two tablet. Sure, Android has a larger marketshare, but none of their tablets individually sell particularly well.
    The transformer and galaxy tab is selling pretty well.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am not interested in tablets and the only reason I got the touchpad is because they are basically giving them away. The touchpad is not the number 2 tablet either. I don't where you got that from when it sold so poorly. Just so you know the Galaxy tab has already passed the 1 million mark.
    Basically as the above said, the only reason folks are now buying these are the fact that they are giving them away, If the Galaxy or the Xoom or an Ipad was $99 ir would sell like you have never seen a tablet sell. Heck Im not a Ipad fan but I would buy five of them if they were $99. The ofcourse port over Android to it lol.
    Asus transformer is # 2 now.. i own it and it is fantastic with the keyboard/mouse base! LOVE IT .. much more than ipad
    Problem is, consumers and other companies analyzing the situation entirely look at marketshare, not if an individual tablet can outsell an individual tablet of the Android variety. Do you think Apple ever even considered Touchpads a threat?

You're not thinking rationally, you're trying to spin everything around in your own mind to make it sound successful, which it wasn't, not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Might be true for techies but at the price the TouchPad was selling for, I reckon there would be more users who would be sticking to webOS. It just so happens you see more of the techies on the intarwebz.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    So it's not like consumers bought the TP instead of and an iPad/Android tablet. Price an iPad at 99.00, set it side by side with a TP, and tell me which one would sell more.
    At $100, I'd buy one of each.
    I would think that the best thing that webOS enthusiasts could do for the future of their OS of choice would be to develop an android app player. I know that as long as an android app player could work well within WebOS, I wouldn't consider a total android port (until maybe ICS comes out).

(well all of this plus they should optimize webOS to run on a webOS tablet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachen808 View Post
    I would think that the best thing that webOS enthusiasts could do for the future of their OS of choice would be to develop an android app player. I know that as long as an android app player could work well within WebOS, I wouldn't consider a total android port (until maybe ICS comes out).

(well all of this plus they should optimize webOS to run on a webOS tablet).
    Thousands of WebOS developers have already left WebOS for Windows phones.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    At $100, I'd buy one of each.
    Well played @hnzw_rui
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    Thousands of WebOS developers have already left WebOS for Windows phones.

that's like jumping out of the frying pan and in to the fire!
    Titano likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast